Cards Big Day Ahead

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Mitchell. Yes he has great size and speed but where was the production at Texas with all of that elite athleticism? He should have been lighting people up with his size, speed and athleticism on a consistent basis. Plus it looks like he takes plays off and has work ethic concerns. Not sure that fits the type of player that Monti is looking for. To me Mitchell is a poor man's George Pickins. Can Mitchell outgrow his immaturity? Sure maybe he does. I'm just not sure he is worth the risk this early.

If I'm the Cardinals targeting a WR I'm going for more of a known commodity who you can trust. For me that is Ladd McConkey. He is a guy that shows up on every play and can just plain get open. I think he will become a consistent 3rd down chain mover in the NFL without all of the risk.
Mitchell's lack of production is partially due to the fact that he entered 2023 as the #3 receiver behind Worthy and Sanders, but by the end of the year he was getting the ball a lot because he is really talented.

Apparently after he ran a 4.3 scouts questioned him on why that kind of speed wasn't apparent in his game film, he told scouts that he conserves his energy for later in games so that he isn't as smoked. That mentality won't work on the NFL and probably turned off a few teams.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Mitchell's lack of production is partially due to the fact that he entered 2023 as the #3 receiver behind Worthy and Sanders, but by the end of the year he was getting the ball a lot because he is really talented.

You must be registered for see images attach

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Cards are in a better position to move their team forward in Day Two of the draft. Holding the third pick in round 2 and 3 picks in round three means the Cards should benefit tremendously from this deep draft pool.

Looking first at round 2 (third pick), there are 5 obviously enticing players available, so at least 3 will fall to the Cards. There are 2 diverse DBs. Scouts are divided as to whether he is best at corner. He has got shaken off by a few receivers coming out of their break. He should be solid covering the slot, TEs or RBs. He’s a true ballhawk, which is why some see him excelling as a S. He’s tough enough to make the tackles. Medical reports have concluded he is fully recovered from his broken leg. He’d be my pick because of his leadership skills attitude.

McKinstry is a true CB. His game is decent speed and great agility. He has a fairly big ego and must be tightly coached. They kept him in line at Alabama, so he can play under control. He is not great in run support, but can make a play if necessary. He has decent, but not special ball skills. He doesn’t figure to be an All Pro but he can play in the NFL. I don’t see him losing self-confidence. I’m not sure he’s a Ossenfort kind of guy.

There are also 2 WRs on the board who would help the Cards. Mitchell was a consideration if the Cards traded down. He’s a speedy, big receiver with a good catch radius. The latter skill being important to Murray’s game. He has a significant upside. Mitchell does body catch too often. Interestingly he’s trained himself to get 2 feet in when catching on the boundary. He could develop into a number one receiver.

Coleman has dropped a little on some boards. He’s a great third down receiver who’s an expert at using his body to wall off defenders. He’s very savvy, coming back to help a pressured QB. He’s a willing, but not skilled blocker. He’s not especially fast, but has a knack for getting separation. He’s very physical with defenders who engage. He’d add another dimension to the Cards’ receiving corp.

Finally there’s DL Newton. He’s lighter than ideal but still has the ability to penetrate. Not sure with Robinson on board they’d consider him. He’s reasonable against the run . He has truly polished moves that he may have to very more against NFL linemen. He has a fine motor and will pursue until the whistle.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them trade down a few slots and take a guy like Kneeland. He an Edge rusher with potential. He’d be yet another project, but his raw skills are very impressive.

A few guys to consider in round 3 are Tony Franklin, Mason Smith, Jalyx Hunt, Trey Benson, TJ Tampa, Shipley and Wright jump out at me. Look at my previous list for others.
I was watching Brett Kollman talk with Andy Harmon from the Reception Perception on Coleman and Harmon had an interesting idea for where Coleman should be played...in the slot.

Coleman struggled when used as an X, but was pretty good when moved around and used to attack the middle of the field.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This is the WR you are looking for...

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They have agreements with sponsor partners to extend the event with several commercial breaks
U must know that Money are above anything in those kind of business
I switched over to the ESPN coverage of the draft. A serious improvement in my viewing experience.

I was super disappointed in the prime channel coverage.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I wouldn't be pressing for a WR with the second round pick is this draft class is amazingly deep at that position. There are going to be very good WRs drafted in every single round this year. It's that deep. At least, IMO.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Keon Coleman is the best WR left. I think the bills will take him, but he would solidify our WR room. He's a red zone nightmare and makes contested catches looks easy.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think the team needs to give michael wilson a shot first before they use another high pick on a WR
I don't. Michael Wilson should not be in the conversation this year at all for the #1 or #2 positions at this point. I like his potential but We need a true #1 and #2 for Murray. We got the #1 in Harrison, now we need the #2 (preferably in FA but a second draftee pick isn't bad). If Wilson ends up being legit, that's just gravy on top. But to go into the season "counting" on him to be the #2 is a recipe for failure.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The reason I wouldn't be pressing for a WR with the second round pick is this draft class is amazingly deep at that position. There are going to be very good WRs drafted in every single round this year. It's that deep. At least, IMO.
If that's the case, then we would be better off going with the bluechip CB at the beginning of round 2 and then getting one of the deep WR with one of our 3rd's.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I don't. Michael Wilson should not be in the conversation this year at all for the #1 or #2 positions at this point. I like his potential but We need a true #1 and #2 for Murray. We got the #1 in Harrison, now we need the #2 (preferably in FA but a second draftee pick isn't bad). If Wilson ends up being legit, that's just gravy on top. But to go into the season "counting" on him to be the #2 is a recipe for failure.
ok i can agree with that but still they drafted him in the high second round last year so he has to be given every opportunity to succeed in this offense

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
if we use our second round pick on a wr after all those wrs were selected in the first round... i would legit have to take back everything nice ive ever said about monti's drafting skills and accomplishments

no hyperbole detected

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ok i can agree with that but still they drafted him in the high second round last year so he has to be given every opportunity to succeed in this offense
I agree. I definitely don't want Wilson buried on the depth chart. I think Wilson and Dortch would get plenty of opportunity as the #3/#4.
I still can't understand why Dortch was buried on the depth chart last year when all he does is produce. Same with Kei'trel Clark. Some weird personnel management from this staff.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was a late 3rd round pick(94). I think he will play well this year but we still need more at the position. There are quite a few guys that I think will be available on the 3rd and 4th round that make a lot of sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn