Cards #1 in 3rd Down Defense

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That whole 3 team stat is useless. We are also # 2 in redzone offense scoring a TD 70% of the time :)

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
An awesome stat:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/position/defense
What a difference in this year's defense. Last year we ranked 28th at 44.4%.
Less awesome is that we are 25th in Offensive 3rd down conversions and we are one of only 3 teams to not score in the last two minutes of regulation.

Seeing as how half the games this season we're kneeling on the ball with under two minutes to go, not scoring in the last 2 minutes is not a big surprise.

Everybody else HAS to score to win.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Less awesome is that we are 25th in Offensive 3rd down conversions and we are one of only 3 teams to not score in the last two minutes of regulation.

Because we don't need to. That is the awesome part about it. Not less.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Not sure if this is still true, but at one point a few weeks ago the Cards also led the league in touchdowns scored on opening drives. Who needs to score in the last 2 minutes when your offense is dictating the action early in games?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not sure if this is still true, but at one point a few weeks ago the Cards also led the league in touchdowns scored on opening drives. Who needs to score in the last 2 minutes when your offense is dictating the action early in games?

I love it. Remember when we went the longest time without scoring a TD in the first quarter?

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this is honestly the best statistical category to lead the league in. of course, we should also probably check to see where we are as far as teams converting on 1st and 2nd downs.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Coming into the season the D coordinator's point of emphasis was total points scored and 3rd down conversion percentage; you have to give him an A for improvement in those areas.

OP
OP
Carddan

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
That whole 3 team stat is useless. We are also # 2 in redzone offense scoring a TD 70% of the time :)

I agree, it was just something they mentioned during the Texans/Titans game. They left out the part that the Cardinals are one of the big reasons Houston hasn't scored in the final two minutes.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Bill Davis is just a rookie also that's the thing I have to keep reminding myself about.. He's doing a hell of a job!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Davis is just a rookie also that's the thing I have to keep reminding myself about.. He's doing a hell of a job!!

He was the DC in San Francisco for a while.