Cardinals trade pick #23 for Hollywood Brown

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You know it doesn’t work that way. He’s going to want to be paid before entering the last year of his contract just like everybody else.
You can keep arguing, but you're not going to argue me out of liking the trade. I'm going to stay positive about this draft for as long as I can :)

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For a lot less money.
For now and no 1st round pick.

I like Brown. However, its clear we should have just used Kirk in the right spot early on and we would have signed him early for a much cheaper deal.

If he looks like a clear upgrade then it's a major win though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You've been dissing Brown's advanced stats, but how do you factor in the difference based on QB play?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

...dave

You go to the year before, when Lamar Jackson was literally playing MVP-caliber football and Brown's advanced stats still sucked:

58th in DYAR (just ahead of Christian Kirk)
63rd in DVOA (well behind Kirk and actually negative)

Plus it's not all on the QB. Rashad Bateman outpaced Brown in advanced stats on half as many targets (46th in DYAR and 39th in DVOA -- both positive).
I agree that stating that Brown is going to put up significantly better stats than Kirk is a little far fetched. They are similar production players who do very different things in my opinion. Those differences are why I like the deal.

I also like that AJ Green can have a more age appropriate role which is why I don't believe that this really caps Rondale Moore who may also slated for a slight role change. Moore and Green at around 50% snaps isn't bad.
Maybe. Brown spent a full quarter of Baltimore's offensive snaps on the sideline last year and more than one in five the year before. I don't think this changes much from last season's rotations; I expect that Brown will get 100% of Kirk's snaps and Moore gets stuck being told "We have to find a way to get him the ball more" when he gets 60 targets next year.

I have real doubts that Marquise Brown can play outside in a more traditional (HA!) NFL offense. Lamar doesn't like to throw down the field outside the hashes much, so Brown was running a lot of in-breaking routes on the snaps he was in the slot. If Brown is playing Kirk's role, he's a slot receiver.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm begging you, Cards Social Media, please stop trying to make "Bird City" happen.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
For now and no 1st round pick.

I like Brown. However, its clear we should have just used Kirk in the right spot early on and we would have signed him early for a much cheaper deal.

If he looks like a clear upgrade then it's a major win though.
As I said last night, the downside here is Keim's past mistakes having to be patched.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I’m way late to the game fellas- I woke up this morning and saw the news. I’ve made it through 15/37 pages of this thread and didn’t want to read anymore.

This was a good trade and it’s not even debatable. I’d give up what we did to get what we got any part of everyday.

How many receivers (at #23) are going to come in and have an immediate impact? This dude comes in and already does. Of course we need to pay him- big deal if it’s 2023-24 or 25-26 if we drafted one and crossed out fingers?

We gained pro bowl talent by moving 75 places back. Big deal yo

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agree but I feel like it is more about how they are productive vs the actual productivity.
Yeah I guess. Kirk was wildly efficient in his contract season (average DYAR and DVOA in the low 50s first three years, 9th and 8th last year), which was how he earned that big contract.

I don't really think their profile is that different.

Dynomite

Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I mean no one has better training for how to really choke when the games start counting than OU players.
Ya the defensive coordinator didnt utilize his players well. There is evidence of defensive players from OU playing well in the NFL even though they did nothing in college or lost in college.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You go to the year before, when Lamar Jackson was literally playing MVP-caliber football and Brown's advanced stats still sucked:

58th in DYAR (just ahead of Christian Kirk)
63rd in DVOA (well behind Kirk and actually negative)

Plus it's not all on the QB. Rashad Bateman outpaced Brown in advanced stats on half as many targets (46th in DYAR and 39th in DVOA -- both positive).

Maybe. Brown spent a full quarter of Baltimore's offensive snaps on the sideline last year and more than one in five the year before. I don't think this changes much from last season's rotations; I expect that Brown will get 100% of Kirk's snaps and Moore gets stuck being told "We have to find a way to get him the ball more" when he gets 60 targets next year.

I have real doubts that Marquise Brown can play outside in a more traditional (HA!) NFL offense. Lamar doesn't like to throw down the field outside the hashes much, so Brown was running a lot of in-breaking routes on the snaps he was in the slot. If Brown is playing Kirk's role, he's a slot receiver.

I'm begging you, Cards Social Media, please stop trying to make "Bird City" happen.
I think you're vastly underrating the concept that he wasn't excelling like he should based on how he was being used.

Hollywood basically said this during his press conference and that's the story based on what we're hearing from Baltimore as well (that he complained to the team about how he was used).

He stated that he's excited to play in an offense similar to his OU offense. And it's crazy to hear DeCosta admit they probably lost this trade.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you're vastly underrating the concept that he wasn't excelling like he should based on how he was being used.

Hollywood basically said this during his press conference and that's the story based on what we're hearing from Baltimore as well (that he complained to the team about how he was used).

He stated that he's excited to play in an offense similar to his OU offense. And it's crazy to hear DeCosta admit they probably lost this trade.
oof. I hope this isn't his way of saying he wants more targets, considering he had 91 last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Sorry, Krang. You're gonna have to be more specific here. I'm sure that if you surveyed the NFL, you'd find scads of players underperforming their draft status who blame their coaches, the system, their teammates -- anyone else but themselves as the REAL reason they're not First-Team All-Pro.

I'm unconvinced. Show me the data. Here's what I see:
You must be registered for see images attach

Brown's usage increased 50% because he was asked to be a catch-and-run guy. He set career highs in receptions and yardage but was sad because his TDs weren't as high and he wasn't making as many splash plays.

Boo hoo that you're not being used like J.J. Nelson. Another Sooner who doesn't like to get tackled.

I just don't really know where you think he's going to be used differently in Kingsbury and Kyler's Horizontal Raid.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I just have one question: Considering our needs, why wouldn't we have taken Jermaine Johnson since he was a top 10 pick who fell. Seems like just what you hope for when drafting.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The fact that Kyler trains with Kyler when they weren't on the same team means something IMO.
I mean... not to beat a dead horse here, but he was training with a WR from a different team while his team was in the valley for organized team activities. maybe this will change that moving forward.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard