Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
A conditional 6th round pick? I am not sure what the hand wringing is about.

If we could get another KeeSean Johnson with multiple years of control cheap wouldn’t you want that instead of 7 games of Kenyon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could get another KeeSean Johnson with multiple years of control cheap wouldn’t you want that instead of 7 games of Kenyon?

Again you are completely missing the point that if he leaves as a free agent then he counts as one of our free agents leaving, allowing us to gain on the compensatory pick formula.

If he plays decent then it is just a wash. He is certainly better than Zenner or Morris.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I like it. Unless people can tell me some really good 6th and 5th round draft choices over the last few years.....??? Serious question.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picks are overrated anyway. No guarantees. Conditional 6th? I don't understand the controversy here. It's well worth it to take a gamble on a guy you have looked at and have an idea what he can do. The backfield is decimated at this point.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or to recap it for the angry Keim crowd.

He plays poorly: 6th round pick lost. He counts towards the number of free agents we can lose. This can help us since I expect us to be spenders this off season. Even if we sign better players but we lose more then we get a 7th rounder.

He plays well: Pick becomes a 5th round pick but now he counts as a "Good free agent loss" and then can negate us signing a good player or it can lead to a pick somewhere in that range or higher.

There is so little risk here I can't imagine why people would complain.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Again you are completely missing the point that if he leaves as a free agent then he counts as one of our free agents leaving, allowing us to gain on the compensatory pick formula.

If he plays decent then it is just a wash. He is certainly better than Zenner or Morris.

I'll have to doublecheck, but I don't think we get a compensatory pick. It may actually be the opposite in that we lose a comp pick. That's what happened when we got Adrian Peterson. We traded a 6th round pick for him and then subsequently lost another 6th round comp pick after the season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to doublecheck, but I don't think we get a compensatory pick. It may actually be the opposite in that we lose a comp pick. That's what happened when we got Adrian Peterson. We traded a 6th round pick for him and then subsequently lost another 6th round comp pick after the season.

I have seen multiple times where New England trades for a player and then loses him the next season and ends up with a compensatory pick.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

In the comp evaluation is what other players we lost or gained. Given our cap space and current players under contract we stand to gain more than we lose resulting in 0 comp picks. Fitzgerald Suggs and Humphries are the only guys of note that become FA after this year. I think Keim will pay DJ his money and retirement does not count towards comp picks which could be both Fitz and Suggs. They will have $60m in cap space so expect at least one or two big signings.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I have seen multiple times where New England trades for a player and then loses him the next season and ends up with a compensatory pick.

That’s because NE rarely signs big money FA. Gillmore may be the only big one in like 5 years.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Not a big deal. The guy is in game shape while the other two were probably riding the couch like the rest of us. He'll be ready to run by Thursday hopefully after learning some of our basic run schemes.
At least we can't say keim isn't proactive.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the comp evaluation is what other players we lost or gained. Given our cap space and current players under contract we stand to gain more than we lose resulting in 0 comp picks. Fitzgerald Suggs and Humphries are the only guys of note that become FA after this year. I think Keim will pay DJ his money and retirement does not count towards comp picks which could be both Fitz and Suggs. They will have $60m in cap space so expect at least one or two big signings.

Again I have already looked this up. Lets say you lose 4 BAD players and gain 3 GREAT players, you still get a 7th round pick.

The more free agents you have, the likelihood you end up with something occurs.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Admittedly, I'm ignorant of the comp pick equation. I was just stunned when we lost another 6th for AP. I guess it's all contingent on what other moves we make next offseason.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I would rather have a GM who is out there, being active, and trying to make the team better. Too often we sit around, wait for leftovers, and settle for mediocrity at best. He’s taking a chance on a RB who has potential.
This...if we expect players to play to win the game, we should also expect it from the FO and HC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I like the trade. I've always liked Drake's versatility and toughness. Depending on how he fits Kliff's offense, I wouldn't mind
signing him as D.J.'s backup going forward. I'm not sold that Edmunds will be durable going forward/

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I would rather have a GM who is out there, being active, and trying to make the team better. Too often we sit around, wait for leftovers, and settle for mediocrity at best. He’s taking a chance on a RB who has potential.

If Drake signs an extension and is the starter next year it’s a bigger indictment that Keim needs to go rather than a positive of him being active.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I’m not sure why we can’t keep all 3 & have RBBC like the Niners do?

None of SF starters are going to make 14m next year. Drake will prob want a tevin Coleman like contract in the offseason.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I like the trade. I've always liked Drake's versatility and toughness. Depending on how he fits Kliff's offense, I wouldn't mind
signing him as D.J.'s backup going forward. I'm not sold that Edmunds will be durable going forward/
I'm not sold that DJ will be healthy either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a decent trade.

I have been quietly waiting for the return of Kerwynn Williams. :p

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Nice pick up need another blocker in the backfield - to pass ourselves to death!

Niners Game plan stack the box and stop the run early- then destroy the oline

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
If Drake signs an extension and is the starter next year it’s a bigger indictment that Keim needs to go rather than a positive of him being active.

I would partially agree but most if not all our RBs are injured and thats just bad luck. Not an indictment on Keim.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose