Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Did not Gambo say Cardinals were in it 30 mins ago?

Gambo has an agenda and tweets what his local handlers want him to tweet. I hope more fans start to see this.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You Keim-haters crack me up. Throw logic, reasoning and facts out the window, right?

When our starter went down, he found the best two guys on the open market that he could. When the backup also went down, he did what he had to. Did you guys not watch the game yesterday? Did you also skip the first couple games of the year? When we are not a threat to run the ball and become one dimensional, our offense goes in the toilet and we become uncompetitive. On top of that, it allows defenses to pin their ears back and come after Kyler. Not only is that terrible for his progression as a player, it’s dangerous for him as the primary asset to our organization. Keim spent a 5th/6th pick to protect our most important player and try to help us stay competitive. It may not be an easy or fun move but it was the right one.

I suppose, but he brought in two guys last week and one of whom wasn't even activated. Plus, there are guys just as talented on the street still. Even if it's only a 5th or 6th round pick, IMO, it wasn't necessary to give up an asset for a guy you're just renting, essentially.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suppose, but he brought in two guys last week and one of whom wasn't even activated. Plus, there are guys just as talented on the street still. Even if it's only a 5th or 6th round pick, IMO, it wasn't necessary to give up an asset for a guy you're just renting, essentially.
We may think that but I know I haven’t watched as much tape on prospective backs as Keim/Kingsbury have and I doubt you have either. If this kid can slow down the rush 5% more than the other available options he is 100% worth the sacrificial pick imo.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Cardinals receivers cannot catch or run routes either with full health. Why no receivers were added?
What receivers are available for a 6th? I mentioned Robby Anderson, but I'm not sure a 6th would get it done...may take 4th or better. Also, who says they aren't or haven't tried for a WR?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What receivers are available for a 6th? I mentioned Robby Anderson, but I'm not sure a 6th would get it done...may take 4th or better. Also, who says they aren't or haven't tried for a WR?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Robbie Anderson is a good player and great deep threat but he’s a documented POS human being. I’d be shocked to learn that he’d be considered by the team.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Here's why I like the trade (sorry if these points have already been made):

1. We don't have to rush either DJ or Edmonds back.

2. Also, this prevents these two guys from taking more hits than necessary the rest of this throw-away season.

3. I know we're not going to the playoffs, but neither do we want to get blown off the field by 50 points every game. We still want to be competitive, and if we can keep some games close, and maybe win maybe one more game, because we get this guy, great. Losing is generally corrosive, and bad for a team's culture (although the miraculous turnaround by the 49ers kind of contradicts this point).

4. We want to give Murray and Kingsbury some tools to work with as they try get better at what they do.

5. Maybe, just maybe, we get somebody who can help the team long term.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
DJ has a cap hit of 14.25m next year with dead cap of 16.2m he ain’t going nowhere til 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ooooof..... thanks.

No issues with this trade at all. If he plays well then he will count as a benefit in the compensatory pick formula when he leaves as a free agent

Or to recap it for the angry Keim crowd.

He plays poorly: 6th round pick lost. He counts towards the number of free agents we can lose. This can help us since I expect us to be spenders this off season. Even if we sign better players but we lose more then we get a 7th rounder.

He plays well: Pick becomes a 5th round pick but now he counts as a "Good free agent loss" and then can negate us signing a good player or it can lead to a pick somewhere in that range or higher.

There is so little risk here I can't imagine why people would complain.

I can get behind this. And again, I can also see a world where he sticks around.

Wonder what the conditions are that would make it a 5 versus a 6.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Did not Gambo say Cardinals were in it 30 mins ago?

Gambo has an agenda and tweets what his local handlers want him to tweet. I hope more fans start to see this.

It does say "realistically" and cites the base salary as a reason.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's why I like the trade (sorry if these points have already been made):

1. We don't have to rush either DJ or Edmonds back.

2. Also, this prevents these two guys from taking more hits than necessary the rest of this throw-away season.

3. I know we're not going to the playoffs, but neither do we want to get blown of the field by 50 points every game. We still want to be competitive, and if we can keep some games close, and maybe win maybe one more game, because we get this guy, great. Losing is generally corrosive, and bad for a team's culture (although the miraculous turnaround by the 49ers kind of contradicts this point).

4. We want to give Murray and Kingsbury some tools to work with as they try get better at what they do.

5. Maybe, just maybe, we get somebody who can help the team long term.
Nobody else has mentioned this that I’ve seen but if this kid plays well at all, we didn’t lose a pick, we gained one. There will be a comp pick headed our way in 2021.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Using cap as an excuse is the clearest sign the team was not serious.,

It seems that scared off multiple teams though, so like the tweet says the Giants were the only team realistically in it---other teams likely inquired but it just wouldn't work out one way or another (Keim is to blame for the lack of cap space--he created this mess).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just as talented as Kenyan drake on the street? Uh, no.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
What is weird to me is that there was no RB on the practice squad to call up. They could have signed one of the 2 RBs last week and called up a PS player who in theory at least should have a grasp on the playbook.

I am fine with the Drake signing for just this year or an extension, does not really matter or will heavily affect anything with the cap in the future other than giving a rookie QB some help to at least have some talent around him to win establishing some progression and confidence... I do find it strange too that Davis was not called up or any of the other guys from preseason who at least in a scrimmage game looked serviceable

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the peril of having a basically lame duck GM. He can burn all of the picks he wants to try to save his job, if he won't be here next year. He's playing with house money.

He will be here next year, not to worry.

This trade is illogical....which explains why Keim made it. Trading a pick, any pick, towards a futile situation, makes zero sense regardless of which round the pick resides.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
For those asking about sixth round picks who ended up amounting to anything, here's a list that's a couple years old, but it at least paints the pictures that there are players to be had: https://www.si.com/nfl/photo/2017/01/11/nfl-draft-all-sixth-round-team-tom-brady

When we start delving into the 5th round as well, where this pick could eventually end up, the list gets larger, and we're functionally giving away the top pick of the 5th round now, that we got in the Rosen deal, so almost a 4th rounder.

At the end of the day, these players make the belly of your team. Are they stars? Not in general, but some are, and some linemen eventually develop into something valuable that start there, just like Senio Kelemete, who now starts for the Texans, and not for us.

The sky isn't falling because we don't have this pick, but instead of a player that could contribute on the cheap for years, even on special teams, we have a guy who is going to play 8 games and get out to greener pastures, or be signed for a good chunk of change.

Comp picks are great and all, but we're supposed to have a lot of money to sign guys in 2020, and are unlikely to have him make a significant impact vs. our needs.

It's not the end of the world, just Keim mortgaging our future to save his.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
He will be here next year, not to worry.

This trade is illogical....which explains why Keim made it. Trading a pick, any pick, towards a futile situation, makes zero sense regardless of which round the pick resides.

How is the trade illogical?

We currently have two guys signed off the street left on our roster, who will provide, "signed off the street" production...and...without the threat of a running game, K1 is going to get tee'ed off on further stunting (no pun intended) his development...

As pointed out above, worst comes to worst, we will get a comp pick for the rental minimizing our loss.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How is the trade illogical?

We currently have two guys signed off the street left on our roster, who will provide, "signed off the street" production...and...without the threat of a running game, K1 is going to get tee'ed off on further stunting (no pun intended) his development...

As pointed out above, worst comes to worst, we will get a comp pick for the rental minimizing our loss.
That's really not worst comes to worst. We stand to sign more players of impact than we will receive compensation in lost players in the form of Kenyan Drake. We have a decent amount of cap room and a lot of need at multiple positions.

Is Drake going to produce a ton more this week for us than Zenner or Morris? I'm not sure. I think he's more talented, but to what end do we need him?

I suppose a lot of this hinges on DJ and Edmonds. Is DJ not going to be back after the bye? I know we need a backup, but one would have hoped that Morris or Zenner could have filled that role given a bye week.

Just not sure. Drake's a good player, and I would like the pickup if the other elements weren't involved.