Cardinals looking to trade Hopkins in offseason

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is kind of a Keim move, though. You're definitely worse dumping DHop, and you have a low probability of replacing him with that 3rd round pick that you'd get. Are you clearing salary for 2024?

Chandler Jones was a part of that 2022 team that won 11 games and made the playoffs. I know we've gotten really sour on that team in the past year, but that happened. The NFL is an entertainment product and I've watched enough hollowed out husks of football teams wearing red and white that I'm not interested in doing it again.

Are you ready to go full 2016 Cleveland Browns? That's a really tough thing to do when you already have a franchise quarterback in place — even if you don't plan on him coming back at all in 2023. Is there a precedent you'd point to for that being successful?

Well, one thing is certain. We have to lower DHop's $30m Cap hit in 2023. We can move from this figure to about $21m with a salary restructure.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You are better off keeping Hopkins than trading him for a 3rd round pick when you consider the roster and his contract. A 2nd round pick is as low as I would go personally and even that would be a struggle for me because the WR market is so bad next year. We only save 8 mil by trading him so getting a coin flip draft pick doesn't really make sense.

Viable teams and picks for Hopkins (IMO) and these are approx spots

#26 Dallas
#28 Minnesota
#30 Buffalo
#31 KC
#47 New England
#52 Jacksonville
#56 Chicago
True cash savings may be $8 million, but the dead money can be spread across 2 seasons, if after June 1st, giving an additional $11 million in cap space, so a total of $19 million of cap relief in 2023.

I'm only on board with trading Hop, if he truly wants out and there's a threat to the locker room with him staying. He was playing great after his suspension, while Murray was QB. It just unraveled after Kyler's injury. I think he was very frustrated, especially after Colt got injured, because he had zero chemistry with the 3rd and 4th QB's and for some reason it just didn't click. I also agree with others that his 'injury' to end the season was just a mask to keep him healthy for trading if it comes to it. I don't think he was really hurt at all. My biggest issue with how he handled things was being late to at least 1 practice and bailing on the team xmas photos. A player needs to rise above crap like that, if they are a leader who can be counted on...what he did was just petty and stupid, IMO. Hopefully the right new coach can help screw his head back on straight. The Cardinals are better with him on the field.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
True cash savings may be $8 million, but the dead money can be spread across 2 seasons, if after June 1st, giving an additional $11 million in cap space, so a total of $19 million of cap relief in 2023.

I'm only on board with trading Hop, if he truly wants out and there's a threat to the locker room with him staying. He was playing great after his suspension, while Murray was QB. It just unraveled after Kyler's injury. I think he was very frustrated, especially after Colt got injured, because he had zero chemistry with the 3rd and 4th QB's and for some reason it just didn't click. I also agree with others that his 'injury' to end the season was just a mask to keep him healthy for trading if it comes to it. I don't think he was really hurt at all. My biggest issue with how he handled things was being late to at least 1 practice and bailing on the team xmas photos. A player needs to rise above crap like that, if they are a leader who can be counted on...what he did was just petty and stupid, IMO. Hopefully the right new coach can help screw his head back on straight. The Cardinals are better with him on the field.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sad to say, but he gone. He knows everything he needs to know about this team and organization, and he knows that he'll have better options elsewhere. Watt made the same decision, even when he could still play. Hell, Rodney Hudson and Pugh milked another year of salary out of the team as well. In the end, I really don't blame any of them. The Cards failed the players before the players failed them, as usual.

Nuk is ultimately all about himself - a brilliant performer but definitely an individual.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

NFL turnarounds can happen pretty fast - keeping one of the best WR in the league seems like a good way to try and compete!
Agreed. Hopkins is by no means "untradeable" but I am not getting rid of him just to get rid of him (a 3rd round pick IMO).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

If you wait to trade Hopkins until after the draft you are going to get pennies on the dollar. Teams have less money which means less teams are in the mix.

Also the idea of spreading the savings is a bad business decision especially when you factor in Kyler's injury and it's potential impact to the 2023 season. Clean books for 2024 is more important than cap space in 2023.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

Sad to say, but he gone. He knows everything he needs to know about this team and organization, and he knows that he'll have better options elsewhere. Watt made the same decision, even when he could still play. Hell, Rodney Hudson and Pugh milked another year of salary out of the team as well. In the end, I really don't blame any of them. The Cards failed the players before the players failed them, as usual.

Nuk is ultimately all about himself - a brilliant performer but definitely an individual.
That's a screenshot of a tweet, not the actual tweet from Hopkins. If you go to his twitter, you won't find it. His last tweet was yesterday.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
If you wait to trade Hopkins until after the draft you are going to get pennies on the dollar. Teams have less money which means less teams are in the mix.

Also the idea of spreading the savings is a bad business decision especially when you factor in Kyler's injury and it's potential impact to the 2023 season. Clean books for 2024 is more important than cap space in 2023.
Teams can agree to trades and FA signings, but not make them "official" until later. We see it all the time, don't we?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Keep in mind that with J.J. Watt and (ostensibly) DHop being pushed into the future, we'd already have about $20 million in dead cap on the books for 2024.

Also, while I'm not sure you can trade a player and "designate" him a post-June 1 trade (whatever that means), I'm fairly certain that you have to carry the full cap charge to June 1, and then you get relief. Makes it really hard to use that cap money to sign quality players.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Keep in mind that with J.J. Watt and (ostensibly) DHop being pushed into the future, we'd already have about $20 million in dead cap on the books for 2024.

Also, while I'm not sure you can trade a player and "designate" him a post-June 1 trade (whatever that means), I'm fairly certain that you have to carry the full cap charge to June 1, and then you get relief. Makes it really hard to use that cap money to sign quality players.

Someone explained that online recently regarding the June 1st date, whatever day the player is traded is the day his cap hit is worked out. If he is traded pre-draft and we get compensation in this years draft then you can't wait until June 1 to make it official.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Trading DHop to NO as part of Sean Payton compensation is not feasible. Player trades are not official until start of new league year in March. A coach signing can't wait that long.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
I think the question here is what does Hop want money wise as well. He left Houston mostly because they wouldn't pay him. His cap number is egregious this year but he also has no guaranteed money and Davante Adams who is the same age as Hop just signed a big deal last year. This whole scenario could also just be a gambit to get his contract redone. In either scenario (trade or keep) you probably need to address the money first via an extension so remove the $30M cap hit this year which provides relief for the Cards or makes it more palatable for a team trading for him. I think we need to get the new GM/coach in place and then based on that see where Hop's head is at. I have no problems keeping him or trading him as I think he can continue to perform at a high level in the right offense for another 3-4 years.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
I don't know to assess trade values, but if we could get like 2 seconds or a second and a third (or whatever), I'm taking it quick. And I'm not restructuring anything. I'm taking ALL the dead money from everyone in 2023. Bite the bullet, stock up on 10-12 picks, ride 2023 tight, and be ready to splash in 2024.

I've watched this team for a LONG time (not as long as some of you). The pattern has always been to do the least worst thing just to tread water. Stop. Forget about 2023 now. Build the team. Youth movement. This is the way.

(Correspondingly, I think it just logically follows if we have 10-12 picks this year, we will have 8-10 next year due to the value of the returns from current year trades. That's a damn good position. Eat the cap now.)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Don’t think a lonely 3rd round pick is enough for Hop when you consider what was traded for Tyreek Hill, Adams, AJ Brown and Hollywood Bum last year.

We’re gonna trade a 1st for Payton and then trade Hop for a 3rd? SK must still be involved
Age of the player, think about that :)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What if trading Hopkins to the Saints along with a fourth round pick, can net us Payton?

How weird would it be that Hopkins gets traded for David Johnson and then Sean Payton?

I am 100% against trading a 1st for Payton.

I am open to trading Hopkins but need to get value for him. Maybe a quality starter at another position instead of a pick?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
How weird would it be that Hopkins gets traded for David Johnson and then Sean Payton?

I am 100% against trading a 1st for Payton.

I am open to trading Hopkins but need to get value for him. Maybe a quality starter at another position instead of a pick?
If Cards send Hopkins and a 4th to Saints for Payton, I'd try to get them to throw in T Hill. He'd be perfect to help Sean install the offense AND take pressure off the replacement QB until Murray is ready. Also, imagine having Hill on the field with Murray...could be explosive.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Same age as Devante Adams.
And how has Adams worked out in that trade for the Raiders and even more so what one expects out of him from here on out. The waters have already changed in my opinion from last season, and I would be surprised if D-hop got more than a three

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
If Cards send Hopkins and a 4th to Saints for Payton, I'd try to get them to throw in T Hill. He'd be perfect to help Sean install the offense AND take pressure off the replacement QB until Murray is ready. Also, imagine having Hill on the field with Murray...could be explosive.
No. no. no more Swiss Army Knife Gadget MacGyver approachs... I want a nice standard roster which can kick the crap out of the opponent with no bells or whistles required except for Murray who can scramble if need be when he comes back

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
having 2 sub par qb's on the same roster is explosive?