Cardinals looking to trade Hopkins in offseason

Rookie
Reaction score
Don’t think a lonely 3rd round pick is enough for Hop when you consider what was traded for Tyreek Hill, Adams, AJ Brown and Hollywood Bum last year.

We’re gonna trade a 1st for Payton and then trade Hop for a 3rd? SK must still be involved

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
How many teams would actually trade for Hopkins?

Giants
Patriots
Packers (if Rodgers stays)
Jets
Titans

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The accrued bonus hit would be $22 mil before June 1. Cut after June 1 the hit is $11 mil in 2023 and $11 mil in 2024 (dead money). The $8 mil salary, which would count against the 2023 cap would go to the cap of the team that acquires Hopkins. So 2023 would get hit for $11 mil bonus but save $8 mil salary. Thus a net charge of $3 mil against the cap. The dead money stays against the 2024 cap. I realize compared to the $19 mil keeping him it looks different.

The first might mean giving up a third along with Hopkins. Depends who the target is and how badly they need Hopkins, who will be very cheap since he likely just costs the salary.

Dhop's salary with us in 2023 is: $19,450,000 with a Cap hit of $30,750,000 and the 'dead' money hit if traded or cut is $22,600,000

Trade or cut with post-June 1st designation:

2023 Dead Cap: $11,300,000 - 2024 Dead Cap: $11,300,000 - 2023 - Cap Savings: $19,450,000*
Salary: $8,150,000
*Dead $: $11,300,00

Please explain why you think that we would have to give up assets in a trade for someone whose contract will be redone by the receiving team as we did when we acquired Dhop?

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Don’t think a lonely 3rd round pick is enough for Hop when you consider what was traded for Tyreek Hill, Adams, AJ Brown and Hollywood Bum last year.

We’re gonna trade a 1st for Payton and then trade Hop for a 3rd? SK must still be involved
What if trading Hopkins to the Saints along with a fourth round pick, can net us Payton?

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When healthy, playing with a decent QB and a solid play caller he’s top 5 or 6 in the NFL. It shouldn’t be a reach to get a 1st round pick and maybe more.

I see the Giants as the best fit. Daboll saw first hand what a WR1 can do for a young QB , the have a need at the position especially for a #1, and I’d bet Deandre would love New York with his passion for fashion design. Their pick is in the 20’s so not too high for them and not too low for the cards and they should be getting some comp picks and already have an extra third for the Toney trade.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Heres how to do it. Offer NO a conditional 2024 first for Payton. The condition is they accept the first round pick the Cards choose. They trade Hopkins after June 1 for a low round 1. The net cap hit is $3mil in 2023 and $11 mil in 2024.
Agree that any first round pick compensation starts in 2024 or 2025

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why does everyone assume we have to give up a first for Payton, just because that is what the Saints said they want that?

Here is the facts, unless Payton has 2 or more teams he is willing to sign with the Saints have no leverage. I think a third should be enough to get it done.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about this so called Schultz report rumor the more I laugh about it. Who is he getting insider information from? Keim? Kingsbury? Do you really think Bidwill is even thinking about Hopkins with what he has on his plate on hiring a new GM & HC. Hopkins also doesn't have an agent, he negotiated his own contract.
Perhaps he has signed an agent or he has been given permission to find a trade?

cap be dammed, if I can get the right value I am trading him. I don’t like getting rid of a top player like that but 2023 is going to look a lot like 2022 so who cares of the cap off fubar. Everything is currently pointing to 2024 assuming Kyler figures something…anything…out

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You are better off keeping Hopkins than trading him for a 3rd round pick when you consider the roster and his contract. A 2nd round pick is as low as I would go personally and even that would be a struggle for me because the WR market is so bad next year. We only save 8 mil by trading him so getting a coin flip draft pick doesn't really make sense.

Viable teams and picks for Hopkins (IMO) and these are approx spots

#26 Dallas
#28 Minnesota
#30 Buffalo
#31 KC
#47 New England
#52 Jacksonville
#56 Chicago

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Why does everyone assume we have to give up a first for Payton, just because that is what the Saints said they want that?

Here is the facts, unless Payton has 2 or more teams he is willing to sign with the Saints have no leverage. I think a third should be enough to get it done.

The Saints have all the leverage, they can keep Payton out of the league by setting their price, no matter how many teams want him. If a team really wants him they will have to pay NO what they ask, or they have to move on to their second choice candidate.

He is under contract with them for 2 more years, next year is when they would probably take less as they know the window is closing to get any compensation.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He won't accept that trade
He wants have a chance to compete for the superbowl i guess or at least playing for a pass happy offense in order to increase his stats and being in the top 10 all time receiver list
Cowboys and Patriots can be possibilities
Pats too tough schedule. Boys & Ravens if they keep QB

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Saints have all the leverage, they can keep Payton out of the league by setting their price, no matter how many teams want him. If a team really wants him they will have to pay NO what they ask, or they have to move on to their second choice candidate.

He is under contract with them for 2 more years, next year is when they would probably take less as they know the window is closing to get any compensation.
They want to rebuild. I think they take a good offer rather than wait a year for great

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

We'll see...Payton can get lots of money on TV and is still young. NO's leverage isn't as great as some here are making it out to be.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would.

Lets not make the same mistake Keim did with Peterson & Chandler.
This is kind of a Keim move, though. You're definitely worse dumping DHop, and you have a low probability of replacing him with that 3rd round pick that you'd get. Are you clearing salary for 2024?

Chandler Jones was a part of that 2022 team that won 11 games and made the playoffs. I know we've gotten really sour on that team in the past year, but that happened. The NFL is an entertainment product and I've watched enough hollowed out husks of football teams wearing red and white that I'm not interested in doing it again.

Are you ready to go full 2016 Cleveland Browns? That's a really tough thing to do when you already have a franchise quarterback in place — even if you don't plan on him coming back at all in 2023. Is there a precedent you'd point to for that being successful?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If, as you say, NO plays hardball, then I'm for moving on and they can retain an asset with no value until they are prepared to negotiate.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This is kind of a Keim move, though. You're definitely worse dumping DHop, and you have a low probability of replacing him with that 3rd round pick that you'd get. Are you clearing salary for 2024?

Chandler Jones was a part of that 2022 team that won 11 games and made the playoffs. I know we've gotten really sour on that team in the past year, but that happened. The NFL is an entertainment product and I've watched enough hollowed out husks of football teams wearing red and white that I'm not interested in doing it again.

Are you ready to go full 2016 Cleveland Browns? That's a really tough thing to do when you already have a franchise quarterback in place — even if you don't plan on him coming back at all in 2023. Is there a precedent you'd point to for that being successful?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NFL turnarounds can happen pretty fast - keeping one of the best WR in the league seems like a good way to try and compete!