Cardinals looking to trade Hopkins in offseason

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Season was over already over but considering his salary and age i think we can get at best a late second round pick
If that, teams really do not ante up for trades like they used to if not a QB. Yeah, there are exceptions, but to accommodate the trade on both sides with the other team probably having to restructure something or another with that contract to make it work, I am expecting nothing higher than a third with maybe some late round picks

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Explain the math?

And I doubt very much that we are getting a first for Dhop.
The accrued bonus hit would be $22 mil before June 1. Cut after June 1 the hit is $11 mil in 2023 and $11 mil in 2024 (dead money). The $8 mil salary, which would count against the 2023 cap would go to the cap of the team that acquires Hopkins. So 2023 would get hit for $11 mil bonus but save $8 mil salary. Thus a net charge of $3 mil against the cap. The dead money stays against the 2024 cap. I realize compared to the $19 mil keeping him it looks different.

The first might mean giving up a third along with Hopkins. Depends who the target is and how badly they need Hopkins, who will be very cheap since he likely just costs the salary.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Hop is owed $19.5mm and $15mm in straight salary for 2023 and 2024, respectively (note: diff than cap hit)

the above is what the acquiring team would be responsible for and their cap hit (assuming they dont touch the contract.)

a $19.5 mm cap hit isnt in the top 15 in the NFL for WRs. It is a very reasonable cap hit, if not a downright bargain. It then gets cheaper the next year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams that could trade for Hopkins: Falcons, Giants, Ravens, Patriots, Cowboys

w

How about the Falcons 2nd, number 40 overall?
He won't accept that trade
He wants have a chance to compete for the superbowl i guess or at least playing for a pass happy offense in order to increase his stats and being in the top 10 all time receiver list
Cowboys and Patriots can be possibilities

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This. Peterson changed his tune after Wilks was fired. Still there were serious issues between DHop and Kyler last season.
Maybe those issues were because KK didn't know how to run a creative enough offense to be balanced & get our best WR the ball? Smart play callers know how to take advantage of mismatches & get their play makers the ball by being creative. KK is none of the above, same Mickey Mouse offense that the NFL had figured out. He's way more creative with less stars on the team, look at 2019 & the game Sunday for examples. A good offensive mind (insert name) can figure out how to use Hopkins plus get him & Kyler on the same page.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed. It's just curious, though, that Mike would have the trade info leaked after firing Kliff and Keim, if that's where Hops anger is pointed. Again, I don't think it's a Murray issue.
I think he's frustrated all the way around because of the offense KK keeps running & doesn't make adjustments. A new coach (hopefully Sean Payton?) Could change his mindset imo. Hopkins sees his window for a SB shrinking, he ain't getting any younger so I can't really blame him for wanting away from KK. We'll just have to see who the new coach is & how he can fit Hopkins into it? If Hopkins still wants out after talking it over with the new coach, then you trade him for everything you can get.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its why he didnt play the last two weeks -- they didnt want an injury to diminish the value of the trade he wants
So lame. Not something Fitz ever would have done. What a prima donna. He was worried his PED suspension might hurt his HOF chances? How about intentionally sitting out games? SMH.

Reactions: PJ1

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for DHop’s announcement on the details of he and his team’s independent investigation of his PED suspension. Said it would come after the season. Well?

SteveKeimFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Still waiting for DHop’s announcement on the details of he and his team’s independent investigation of his PED suspension. Said it would come after the season. Well?
I for one applaud DHop for using any PEDS in the National Steroid League.

Hilarious how people got so up in arms about people juicing in Baseball when the NFL is the most blatant PED dominant organization.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Trade him to the Cowpies for Michael Gallup & ask for a #3 in return

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing the cards never seem to get right is trade someone right at the downslope of their career. We may get another good year from him, but if we are gonna go full tilt on a rebuild then get as much assets as possible because 2023 will most likely be nothing but step one with new regime setting up 2024 as the year for marked improvement

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The Cardinals have TWO interim co-GMs.

...dave

And unless hired as GM, which seems unlikely, neither of whom are going to be the decision maker for the D-Hop situation. Me thinks Schultz is doing the low-hanging fruit thing where he could be right, but if not, something changed between now and when the trade could be conceived.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
One thing the cards never seem to get right is trade someone right at the downslope of their career. We may get another good year from him, but if we are gonna go full tilt on a rebuild then get as much assets as possible because 2023 will most likely be nothing but step one with new regime setting up 2024 as the year for marked improvement
This.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about David Johnson? :shrug:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I want him on the team but if he wants a trade, pretty much demanding a trade, wants more attention than others about his situation on the team that could linger, then just trade him and get what you can. About the only guy on the team whose happiness on the team we have to cater to, to an extent, because of the money and importance of the position, is our hobbit who is currently recovering from his ACL in Rivendale after being healed by Elrond

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose