Cardinals looking to trade Hopkins in offseason

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I sure don't think he's in decline...He proved as much when he came back and was on fire...That being said, if his attitude isn't on board with being in AZ, he's more detrimental to the team than anything he can provide on the field. The last few weeks show it (missing/late a practice, missing xmas photos, etc). I just think he's mentally checked out. I highly doubt it's a Murray thing, because he was balling (regardless of TD's and Fumbles) until Murray got hurt.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
But if we get a coach like Sean Payton his whole attitude may change? If he is a cancer in the locker room?
Agreed. It's just curious, though, that Mike would have the trade info leaked after firing Kliff and Keim, if that's where Hops anger is pointed. Again, I don't think it's a Murray issue.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We save like $8 million on the cap but we don’t have a top 8 wide receiver.

Yeah there's a guy on this board with a handle similar to yours that has been posting for years you don't get better by letting your best players leave. This is a classic example of that. There's a tendency to assume you can always get a great trade out of it and it often doesn't work.

If D Hop can get Sean Payton yeah I'd consider it but if I'm Sean Payton one of the reasons I'd want to be here, is D Hop..

I hope we find a way to keep him.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think he's in heavy decline?
I don't think he's always been used properly when he was healthy and not on a PED suspension (which he brought on himself). He had a great season in 2020 when he put up numbers better than the past two seasons combined. I'd love to see what he could do with a new coach.

If he does leave, we basically got one good year with him (his third best) followed by his worst two seasons as a pro. Yay?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah there's a guy on this board with a handle similar to yours that has been posting for years you don't get better by letting your best players leave. This is a classic example of that. There's a tendency to assume you can always get a great trade out of it and it often doesn't work.

If D Hop can get Sean Payton yeah I'd consider it but if I'm Sean Payton one of the reasons I'd want to be here, is D Hop..

Well, Dhop is a $30m Cap hit in 2023 and $19m in salary, which is untenable, particularly given that we don't know when KM will be ready to go. The contract was designed for a possible out this business year with a $22m Cap hit, which, as mentioned, can be split and then adds up to a $19m Cap saving this year. The only way to reduce this number to Dhop's satisfaction is a new deal with guaranteed money.

Perhaps the incoming GM and Coach will conclude this is the best way to go forward, but I doubt it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Except he has old bonuses that get accelerated when traded.

Hollywood has a guaranteed one year but no bonus.
right. but we have to pay that. with his play style its reasonable to think he has 4 productive years left... dude should be worth a first to a team who is playoff bound I would think. it makes him attractive..not necessarily great for us... but having a disgruntled diva in the locker room aint great either

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's what I have been saying. If they let D-Hop go, they might as well clean house and trade all of their best assets.
The cap may increase by 15-25M. Cut Anderson 12M and restructure D-Hop and gain another 10-15. We could have 50M in cap space. We do have a lot of players to sign, but that is a LOT.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Dhop is a $30m Cap hit in 2023 and $19m in salary, which is untenable, particularly given that we don't know when KM will be ready to go. The contract was designed for a possible out this business year with a $22m Cap hit, which, as mentioned, can be split and then adds up to a $19m Cap saving this year. The only way to reduce this number to Dhop's satisfaction is a new deal with guaranteed money.

Perhaps the incoming GM and Coach will conclude this is the best way to go forward, but I doubt it.
Give him another 3-4 year deal and the cap hit for this year gets cut in half.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't think he's always been used properly when he was healthy and not on a PED suspension (which he brought on himself). He had a great season in 2020 when he put up numbers better than the past two seasons combined. I'd love to see what he could do with a new coach.

If he does leave, we basically got one good year with him (his third best) followed by his worst two seasons as a pro. Yay?
The question is whether or not he's in heavy decline - I don't think there is any strong evidence of that. He looked plenty good catching passes from Kyler this year.

D-Hop was and is the only skill position player on the field that necessitated extra attention. If you look at our numbers with and without him, I think it's quite clear what an impact Hop has.

On top of that, we're losing the only defender that needed a double team as well! Smelling quite a bit like a rebuild here.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's what I have been saying. If they let D-Hop go, they might as well clean house and trade all of their best assets.
The cap may increase by 15-25M. Cut Anderson 12M and restructure D-Hop and gain another 10-15. We could have 50M in cap space. We do have a lot of players to sign, but that is a LOT.

With respect, that is shortsighted.

He's one player, ageing and perhaps not too well.

Trading him is part of adding assets.

We'd have at least six picks in the top 105 and the Cap space to retain some of our best assets.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe Keim's plan was to let Hopkins go and re-sign Hollywood as our WR1. I sincerely hope that isn't the new GM's plan, but Michael is the one signing the checks, so you never know.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The question is whether or not he's in heavy decline - I don't think there is any strong evidence of that. He looked plenty good catching passes from Kyler this year.

D-Hop was and is the only skill position player on the field that necessitated extra attention. If you look at our numbers with and without him, I think it's quite clear what an impact Hop has.

On top of that, we're losing the only defender that needed a double team as well! Smelling quite a bit like a rebuild here.

And if so, you require Cap space and draft picks.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
In separate but related news, I saw on TikTok the other day a pretty interesting "mic'd up" conversation between DHop and Coach Belichick. Seems DHop has a fan....

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Receiver DeAndre Hopkins has a cap number of $30.75 million for 2023, thanks to a $19.45 million salary and $11.3 million in allocations from past bonus payments.

A trade before June 1 would result in a cap charge of $22.6 million. After June 1, the cap charge would be split between 2023 and 2024, the last year of the current contract.

Of course, with only $19.45 million due this year, Hopkins may also want a raise that reflects the current market at receiver. They could be a way to give him more while dropping the cap number. It all depends on how much more he wants.

At one point, his new-money average of $27.5 million was the highest in the league. It no longer is. And so it’s an issue that the new regime will have to confront involving the receiver who will turn 31 in June.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We'd have at least six picks in the top 105 and the Cap space to retain some of our best assets.
He is our BEST player and I don't even think that is debatable. You trade him and it is definitely a punt on 2023. Doing so and we may not be better until 2024 or 2025. At that point, why keep players like Budda around?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It sucks we only saw Kyler, Hopkins, Hollywood on the field together for 1 game and 3 plays.

I mean Im happy Keim is gone but there's a part of me that wonders what if. Unfortunately it took a disastrous season for Keim to go.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Agreed. The 2023 Cards aren't making the playoffs. Our immature, injured QB that will need to learn a new system won't be full go for a long while next season, if at all. He has huge cap hits the next 2 years (Nuke) and is aging and ready to decline. Trade him and get back a good return, save cap money, and be better for 2024.

Also, trade Brown.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He is our BEST player and I don't even think that is debatable. You trade him and it is definitely a punt on 2023. Doing so and we may not be better until 2024 or 2025. At that point, why keep players like Budda around?

2023 is perhaps a 'punt' but it's because of KM health.

The Budda reference to my mind is a non sequitur.