Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's a case-by-case basis.

Kirk Cousins is a good NFL QB, but he isn't a top five NFL QB. Put a great supporting cast around him and he can win ballgames pretty consistently, but he will never carry a team.

If I'm the Cardinals, I look to build a strong defense and running game, and let Murray, as Sean Payton said, get more "layups". Look at how the Seahawks handled Russell Wilson for years, he wasn't forced to consistently win games by himself. The Cardinals SHOULD have been developing a monster OL and running game, and made Murray the dagger to the run games bludgeon.
Kirk Cousins is just good enough to get you beat in the first round repeatedly. Or not even make the playoffs.

You don’t spend the 1st pick in the draft and give someone a quarter of a billion dollars to be a caretaker QB who can make a big play every once in a while once the running game has loosened the defense up.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Again.. most of this statement is pure conjecture and honestly thats fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

the cardinals made a huge mistake paying Murray and that was true BEFORE he blew his knee out. We are screwed.

Conjecture from someone calling out conjecture.

I'm sure the irony is lost on you.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Weird how a guy so bad won OROY and went to two Pro Bowls.

The Kyler Derangement Syndrome in that specific corner of this board is quite bizarre.
Hopkins getting hurt and suspended caused more of a hit to Kyler's rep than anything off the field.
I'd say it's a case-by-case basis.

Kirk Cousins is a good NFL QB, but he isn't a top five NFL QB. Put a great supporting cast around him and he can win ballgames pretty consistently, but he will never carry a team.

If I'm the Cardinals, I look to build a strong defense and running game, and let Murray, as Sean Payton said, get more "layups". Look at how the Seahawks handled Russell Wilson for years, he wasn't forced to consistently win games by himself. The Cardinals SHOULD have been developing a monster OL and running game, and made Murray the dagger to the run games bludgeon.
Kyler doesnt look as favorable compared to other young QBs. The thing is most of those guys are in the AFC.

While I would love for him to be on the Mahomes, Allen, Burrow level. I think its very possible to be back a top 3 NFC QB again. Especially with Brady on the way out. Just need some retooling on the Oline and clean up the deep accuracy issues.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he means egos that come at the expense of the team.
To me, the “ego” reference, while appropriate, comes across as ”saying what fans want to hear.“ Not so sure I believe it’s much more than a slogan.

I guess I have no choice but to keep an open mind and remain hopeful that there is substance and commitment behind the ego comment, but we’ve been burnt before. Hope my concerns are baseless.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kirk Cousins is just good enough to get you beat in the first round repeatedly. Or not even make the playoffs.

You don’t spend the 1st pick in the draft and give someone a quarter of a billion dollars to be a caretaker QB who can make a big play every once in a while once the running game has loosened the defense up.
You do when you've made a mistake and you're stuck with him for a few years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do when you've made a mistake and you're stuck with him for a few years.
I was responding to your original argument where you said the team SHOULD HAVE treated him like Russel Wilson. not what they should do moving forward.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there

Does anyone think that MB told GM candidates that they would have to find a way to keep some of the existing coaching staff so he could save money?

Also to find a HC that stoutly would be willing to accept that?
Don't put my name anywhere near this foul idea :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Conjecture?? Maybe you should go back and compare stats between Murray & Fields. Dude, not even close. You‘re entitled to being miserable. But, in today’s NFL, no one is really screwed.
I'm pretty down on KM, but he's loads better than Fields at this point.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sorry but no. There are only 29 GM jobs. They are incredibly rare. Over the next 5 years Cunningham would be lucky if 5 became available and 4 of 5 will be at bottom tier franchises.

You don't turn them down if they are there or you might never get another.
I have a lot of this thread yet to read, so I may be commenting before this is clarified, but...

I've turned down seemingly incredible opportunities for my career to grow because the situation wasn't right for me. I once would have worked in One World Trade Center for one of the world's premier companies. I once got assigned to one of the world's top three banking clients as I worked for one of the top advertising conglomerates in the world, and I left the opportunity.

Sometimes there's just some really intangible reasons you know something isn't a long term fit, even if it's as simple as not wanting to relocate your family.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Having caught up on the conversation, Kyler's shown more than Fields, and especially Purdy. Those comparisons are too much of a stretch.

Cousins and Kyler are difficult to compare, because they play very different styles. But the narrative might be similar: good enough to win you a decent amount of games, make it into the playoffs, and then probably not get further. A lot of this will depend on KM's recovery, attitude, and more.

My assessment of Kyler Murray is that if healthy, he'll hover around that QB8-12 spot for the next few years, as long as he doesn't get even more afraid of contact. But it could bottom out worse with his attitude. I can't imagine the national narrative is going on deaf ears. He's already got the money, so does he just say "alright, I've got mine, the end," or does he step up to change things?

I want to be clear - I personally would probably say "I got paid, I'm out" before I'd put in the effort for professional glory. As my team's QB, I hope he's different, but I'd get it if he didn't give a darn.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No team truly drafts BPA. The real strategy is BPA at a position of needs. Why draft another LT when you have a great starting LT, a good starting RT, and a competent swing backup?
You draft another LT because of the possibility of injury.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Look at the QBs drafted in the last 5 years that appear to be success stories to some extent.
Joe Burrow
Trevor Lawrence
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert
Deshaun Watson
Lamar Jackson
Patrick Mahomes
Daniel Jones

That is nearly 1/4 of the league getting a good franchise QB in 5 years. And who do we get, Josh Rosen and a short pouty face Kyler Murray. Makes you wonder, why not us? Can't we ever be at the right place at the right time and make the right choice. It is downright disgusting, is it not?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a lot of this thread yet to read, so I may be commenting before this is clarified, but...

I've turned down seemingly incredible opportunities for my career to grow because the situation wasn't right for me. I once would have worked in One World Trade Center for one of the world's premier companies. I once got assigned to one of the world's top three banking clients as I worked for one of the top advertising conglomerates in the world, and I left the opportunity.

Sometimes there's just some really intangible reasons you know something isn't a long term fit, even if it's as simple as not wanting to relocate your family.

Absolutely, lots of reasons. But this isn't really the same thing.

You could carry on doing the same job somewhere else, you turned down the companies. Cunningham would be turning down one of the rarest promotions in sports. Jobs that come up extremely rarely and have hundreds of qualified guys eyeing them up. I just don't think anyone sensible turns that down, no matter what.

But I don't really care either way. The guy is a nobody.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Having caught up on the conversation, Kyler's shown more than Fields, and especially Purdy. Those comparisons are too much of a stretch.

Cousins and Kyler are difficult to compare, because they play very different styles. But the narrative might be similar: good enough to win you a decent amount of games, make it into the playoffs, and then probably not get further. A lot of this will depend on KM's recovery, attitude, and more.

My assessment of Kyler Murray is that if healthy, he'll hover around that QB8-12 spot for the next few years, as long as he doesn't get even more afraid of contact. But it could bottom out worse with his attitude. I can't imagine the national narrative is going on deaf ears. He's already got the money, so does he just say "alright, I've got mine, the end," or does he step up to change things?

I want to be clear - I personally would probably say "I got paid, I'm out" before I'd put in the effort for professional glory. As my team's QB, I hope he's different, but I'd get it if he didn't give a darn.

Hmm. Kyler has shown more in quantity because he's been around a lot longer. Your taking bits from 50 games and amalgamating them into an overall picture.

I think Purdy has shown more of certain qualities in his limited time. Leadership, pocket presence, footwork, mechanics, performance under pressure, eyes stay downfield etc etc all look better with Purdy than I've ever seen from Kyler.

When people picture Kyler they see the splash plays. The Titans throw to Rondale. The run vs Vegas. The wow plays that come once every 2 games.

I'd trade every single one of them for a QB that just did his job on schedule.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Look at the QBs drafted in the last 5 years that appear to be success stories to some extent.
Joe Burrow
Trevor Lawrence
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert
Deshaun Watson
Lamar Jackson
Patrick Mahomes
Daniel Jones

That is nearly 1/4 of the league getting a good franchise QB in 5 years. And who do we get, Josh Rosen and a short pouty face Kyler Murray. Makes you wonder, why not us? Can't we ever be at the right place at the right time and make the right choice. It is downright disgusting, is it not?
Where it stands right now, Kyler's at least close enough to a success story as Trevor Lawrence, Deshaun Watson, and Daniel Jones. Different factors, though.

I'm close to Kyler's biggest critic, but he's a solid player. The transcendental talent some hyped him as? Nah. Still capable of dynamic but inconsistent play? Hella.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Where it stands right now, Kyler's at least close enough to a success story as Trevor Lawrence, Deshaun Watson, and Daniel Jones. Different factors, though.

I'm close to Kyler's biggest critic, but he's a solid player. The transcendental talent some hyped him as? Nah. Still capable of dynamic but inconsistent play? Hella.
He doesnt win meaningful games. In fact hes very bad at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose