Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
@kerouac9 A question on the "thumbs down". Do you disagree that it is a simpler path forward or that it would be the best option.

I look at like building a house vs renovating a house. It can be easier starting from scratch than trying to figure out and fix what someone else has already done.
Kind of both?

1) If you just bought a house, you don't hire a contractor until he's done an initial inspection, right? Hopefully Michael has an idea that MO likes Kyler enough to continue investing in and building around him. Hiring someone to remodel your kitchen who then says, "You're gonna have to stay at the Holiday Inn for the next two months; we're pulling this place down to the studs" would seem like a mistake.

2) I don't think that any of these prospects are on Kyler's level. Kyler, even this season, has a combination of traits you don't really see in the NFL. You have to want different than Kyler, because you're not going to find better than him.

3) If you liked wasting Kyler Murray's rookie year getting out from under Josh Rosen and Sam Bradford's contracts, you'll LOVE what would happen in 2023 if we tried to move off Kyler Murray's. Today, if I'm building a roster and I have a 2-year leash, I'm starting with the defense and offensive line and adding the QB as the cherry on top.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hopeful about Monti, although I can’t help feeling that we should have stollen a VP from a successful team not someone who was overlooked for a job at his current team. I so hope he is the prodigal son
The prodigal son goes back home...

I just looked at injuries this season and the Titans had the most players in the NFL on IR (tied w/ Denver) at 23. We were second with 19.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As someone who is also a St. Louis Cardinals baseball die-hard, this is confusing for me. Their front office guy is John Mozeilak, also constantly referred to as MO. And if their careers are anything alike, we will love him one day and hate him the next.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
What will make him better than the past is he will create a set of philosophical principles that will provide structure for the entire organization. Rather than ad libbing each move, actions will be dictated by how they further the structured objectives. Things will happen in a purposeful way. Everyone will know what their job is and how it fits into the whole process. The previous GMs tried to decide if something was good or bad rather than if it advanced a goal. This team has long been characterized by a set of uncoordinated actions. Consider drafting a TE in round 2 when the offense rarely uses 2 tight ends and you just signed the other one to a big contract. This is why leadership philosophy and structure is so critical.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
don't know anything about him, from my pov the Titans aren't constructed that well, but also not badly.
Good points. I would take the sure thing as well.

I was thinking more about why they would allow him to leave if he is that good. Not saying he isn't of course but sounds like they want to go in a different direction.

The first three things they want is what we think we got in MO. The collaboration statement is interesting.

You must be registered for see images attach
The Titans had one down year in the last 5 and fired theire GM... Keim would have been out after the second game of the Wilks era XD.

I can see the argument about the WR ... but why do you fire a GM at 7-5 and after you fire your GM you don't make the Playoff, indeed they lost all 5 games after that. From what I remember last year after the SB the titans missed just some parts. Than the AJ Brown drama started and Robinson made a "no drama, no Ego" move, and now it looks bad but c'mon 25 Mio $ a year for a WR when you want to win a SB.
Your QB costs 35 Mio $, LT 20 Mio $, if you want a good to dominant OLB 20-30 MIo $ and a good CB wants 20 Mio$ and the best RB of the league gets around 20 Mio $, you can't pay a WR another 25 Mio $ you don't have enough money for that.

It's the same argument that Pugh brought up, if your QB costs 40 Mio $ there isn't enough money to get a good to great team around you, we will see this as well. we will need to draft very well but even with drafting well, you have only 4 years on the 1st rounder and 3 years on the later rounds. So basically, if you don't play your Rookies or they can't see the field you already have lost. The Titans had to starr the Back-up QB 5 times and lost all but one game. With Tannehill they win against KC (lost in OT) Houston, and Jacksonville, wich would have been a 10-7 season and playoffs.

Yes they lost 35-10 against Philly and after that the GM was fired, but c'mon it smells like "You idiot didn't you see how he rosted us and we only got two picks for it..." kinda overreaction move. But since Monti was in the running for GM I'm at the moment not concerned.

Overall many didn't understand the firing, expect for the trade, but the trade was not a headscratcher like the D.Hop trade. So from my point of view, you can't argue with the firing against Monti.

I give this whole thing time, first off, I wanna see who he hires. I would be okay with Sean Payton, Harbaugh, Flores. 1 has a SB one was multiple times in the NFC Championship with supbar QB and Offensive talent and the third one, had a team play at a really high level before he got fired, you can do worse.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
don't know anything about him, from my point of view the Titans aren't constructed that well but maybe I'm wrong.

The Titans had one down year in the last 5 and fired theire GM...

I can see the argument about the WR ... but why do you fire a GM at 7-5 and after you fire your GM you don't make the Playoff, indeed they lost all 5 games after that. From what I remember last year after the SB the titans missed just some parts. Than the AJ Brown drama started and Robinson made a "no drama, no Ego" move, and now it looks bad but c'mon 25 Mio $ a year for a WR when you want to win a SB.
Your QB costs 35 Mio $, LT 20 Mio $, if you want a good to dominant OLB 20-30 MIo $ and a good CB wants 20 Mio$ and the best RB of the league gets around 20 Mio $, you can't pay a WR another 25 Mio $ you don't have enough money for that.

It's the same argument that Pugh brought up, if your QB costs 40 Mio $ there isn't enough money to get a good to great team around you, we will see this as well. we will need to draft very well but even with drafting well, you have only 4 years on the 1st rounder and 3 years on the later rounds. So basically, if you don't play your Rookies or they can't see the field you already have lost. The Titans had to starr the Back-up QB 5 times and lost all but one game. With Tannehill they win against KC (lost in OT) Houston, and Jacksonville, wich would have been a 10-7 season and playoffs.

Yes they lost 35-10 against Philly and after that the GM was fired, but c'mon it smells like "You idiot didn't you see how he rosted us and we only got two picks for it..." kinda overreaction move. But since Monti was in the running for GM I'm at the moment not concerned.

Overall many didn't understand the firing, expect for the trade, but the trade was not a headscratcher like the D.Hop trade. So from my point of view, you can't argue with the firing against Monti.

I give this whole thing time, first off, I wanna see who he hires. I would be okay with Sean Payton, Harbaugh, Flores. 1 has a SB one was multiple times in the NFC Championship with supbar QB and Offensive talent and the third one, had a team play at a really high level before he got fired, you can do worse.
I think Vrabel is going to have more say and control. The video of him being pissed during the draft, when they traded AJ, sealed the GM's fate, when they didn't start out playing well this year.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Vrabel is going to have more say and control. The video of him being pissed during the draft, when they traded AJ, sealed the GM's fate, when they didn't start out playing well this year.
this smells Bill O'Brian all over again. didn't he do the same thing?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What will make him better than the past is he will create a set of philosophical principles that will provide structure for the entire organization. Rather than ad libbing each move, actions will be dictated by how they further the structured objectives. Things will happen in a purposeful way. Everyone will know what their job is and how it fits into the whole process. The previous GMs tried to decide if something was good or bad rather than if it advanced a goal. This team has long been characterized by a set of uncoordinated actions. Consider drafting a TE in round 2 when the offense rarely uses 2 tight ends and you just signed the other one to a big contract. This is why leadership philosophy and structure is so critical.
To be fair, we really couldn’t afford to pass on the next Austin Hooper…

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am hopeful about Monti, although I can’t help feeling that we should have stollen a VP from a successful team not someone who was overlooked for a job at his current team. I so hope he is the prodigal son

How was he overlooked? He interviewed for the Titans.

Would you take the GM job on offer or wait to see if your current org chooses you?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper not letting anyone feel good lol
It's just funny. I am not going to pretend like I know if this is a good hire or not until I see who he hires as an HC.

7 of 8 HCs in the divisional round come from offensive backgrounds.

We have a QB on a huge contract who needs someone to help him.

If you go after a defensive guy, you are going against NFL trends.

Belichick and Tomlin are HOF coaches who did not make the playoffs. A lot of dudes not nearly as good made it.

Offense is harder to find laying on the street than defense.

If this guy brings in Flores or Vance...good luck with that. Neither of those guys have shown they have any clue how to bring together a good offensive staff.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This. One of the critiques you could see from the Keim years is that there didn't seem to be a coherent plan. Everything was reactionary.

Like you said, drafting a TE in round 2 when you rarely use TEs and you just signed an older TE to a lucrative contract doesn't make sense. Drafting players to change their position.

Many posters like @Chopper0080 @DVontel and maybe @kerouac9 pointef out in the past that there seemed be a disconnect between the players that Keim drafted and the types of players that fit the offensive scheme and defensive scheme. Ossenfort stated they would look at the right players for the scheme.

I like a lot of what Ossenfort was saying about building a unified vision in the organization. Building systems.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think he means egos that come at the expense of the team.
Meh...if you want players who aren't selfish that is what you need to say. You can say you want team first guys but you also have to earn that trust. You can talk about what you want till you you are blue in the face but at some point you have to talk about what you are going to give.

Keim burned players because he was a snake oil salesman. He wanted them to be professionals and sacrifice for the team but didn't give any respect back. This guy is going to have to show he is going to be different. I don't need another New England guy spouting off on what he demands from people when he hasn't earned that right.

I did like his emphasis on accountability. Hopefully he holds himself to that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This. One of the critiques you could see from the Keim years is that there didn't seem to be a coherent plan. Everything was reactionary.

Like you said, drafting a TE in round 2 when you rarely use TEs and you just signed an older TE to a lucrative contract doesn't make sense. Drafting players to change their position.

Many posters like @Chopper0080 @DVontel and maybe @kerouac9 pointef out in the past that there seemed be a disconnect between the players that Keim drafted and the types of players that fit the offensive scheme and defensive scheme. Ossenfort stated they would look at the right players for the scheme.

I like a lot of what Ossenfort was saying about building a unified vision in the organization. Building systems.
This part was also good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well, if you finally get your dream job that you have been working for years to get to, you should say what you mean.

100% honesty that him saying this with his New England background triggers me. Hopefully he is different.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, if you finally get your dream job that you have been working for years to get to, you should say what you mean.

100% honesty that him saying this with his New England background triggers me. Hopefully he is different.
We're Cards fans. We get what we get and hope for the best.. the latter is always the difficult part. ;)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Belichick disciples always sound like Buddy Ryan to me. Talk like they swing big when they got there on Bill and Brady's coattails.