Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Eagles still need linebackers. If a really good LB was on the board vs. a receiver rated a bit higher, they are taking the LB. Smith is on his rookie contract and AJ Brown just signed an enormous contract. They also have Goedert and Sanders too. Not enough targets to justify taking a receiver there.

Now when Smith is closer to the end of his rookie deal, maybe that receiver is taken instead.

The Cardinals do have a lot of holes, but can also free up some cap space this year and extend some contracts out into 2024. They will have the money to remake parts of the roster, but they certainly will have some MEH veterans signed to play fairly important roles.
Ah! Forgive me Krang, LB is the source of contention here, if you can call it that. What I tease my friends about is that they can't keep everybody. All of that production on the front lines and in the secondary HAS to get paid or play somewhere else. I could be happy with Miles Sanders, Brandon Graham or Fletcher Cox in Cardinal red! We could use some of that MEH veteran talent to build a roster and provide depth for a year or two! LOL!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Kyler may be the least likeable player in the entire league.He has his own teammates leaking out to the media that he is a "monster".

He screams at his coach like a petulant little boy and cant perform the basic tasks of the position such as taking snaps from center and throwing the ball down the middle of the field.

He put up one of the WORST efforts in the only playoff game he's ever been in, maybe the ugliest game for a cardinals starting QB, and that is saying a lot.

Guy is a bum, and yes unfortunately Fields has way more upside than him.
Weird how a guy so bad won OROY and went to two Pro Bowls.

The Kyler Derangement Syndrome in that specific corner of this board is quite bizarre.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird how a guy so bad won OROY and went to two Pro Bowls.

The Kyler Derangement Syndrome in that specific corner of this board is quite bizarre.
Levi Brown and Kirk Cousins repeatedly went to and go to Pro Bowls also. That's never been the strongest argument in favor of how good players actually are.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Levi Brown and Kirk Cousins repeatedly went to and go to Pro Bowls also. That's never been the strongest argument in favor of how good players actually are.
But it is an argument. (psst Levi Brown never made a Pro Bowl)

Kyler has had stretches of games where he played as well as any Cardinals QB has ever played.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Kyler has one attribute--his elusiveness and know with the injury we are most likely looking at that talent diminishing

First half of 2021 season Kyler was an elite passer IMO and what separates him from other guys like Lamar, Fields, etc. He is not a runner that can pass...he is a passer that can run.

We need a running game and a HC that knows how to use K1 properly. AND Kyler needs to get better.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He turned it down because this franchise is stuck paying the sulking 4 foot millennial that isnt good at his job.

If he cardinals had a Justin Fields/Herbert/Purdy type he would have taken the job guaranteed.

Kyler Murray is the 800 lb gorilla in the room and no one wants to accept that as long as the cardinals are stuck paying this loser they arent going anywhere.
Fields and Purdy should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Herbert. But even Herbert wasn’t all that impressive this year & he sucked against the Jags last weekend. Justin Fields cannot throw the ball & won’t succeed in the NFL until he proves otherwise. The Niners are built top to bottom to overcome poor QB play. Purdy should count his blessings while he can. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Cowboys D makes SF pay for having that fraud on the field. To compare Fields or Purdy to Murray is comical.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Fields and Purdy should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Herbert. But even Herbert wasn’t all that impressive this year & he sucked against the Jags last weekend. Justin Fields cannot throw the ball & won’t succeed in the NFL until he proves otherwise. The Niners are built top to bottom to overcome poor QB play. Purdy should count his blessings while he can. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Cowboys D makes SF pay for having that fraud on the field. To compare Fields or Purdy to Murray is comical.
Again.. most of this statement is pure conjecture and honestly thats fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

the cardinals made a huge mistake paying Murray and that was true BEFORE he blew his knee out. We are screwed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it is an argument. (psst Levi Brown never made a Pro Bowl)
psst...

Kyler has had stretches of games where he played as well as any Cardinals QB has ever played.
sure, but that's a pathetically low bar to clear.

and a 7 game stretch in 2021 or a 6 game stretch in 2020 just doesn't bowl me over when his play in the same seasons eventually and completely went into the toilet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
psst...

sure, but that's a pathetically low bar to clear.

and a 7 game stretch in 2021 or a 6 game stretch in 2020 just doesn't bowl me over when his play in the same seasons eventually and completely went into the toilet.
Pssst alternate...not made a Pro Bowl. If you use Google and type in 'Levi Brown Pro Bowl' you get.... nothing....he didn't make one, even as an injury replacement.

Again...he has stretches of good play.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Kyler may be the least likeable player in the entire league.He has his own teammates leaking out to the media that he is a "monster".

He screams at his coach like a petulant little boy and cant perform the basic tasks of the position such as taking snaps from center and throwing the ball down the middle of the field.

He put up one of the WORST efforts in the only playoff game he's ever been in, maybe the ugliest game for a cardinals starting QB, and that is saying a lot.

Guy is a bum, and yes unfortunately Fields has way more upside than him.
I'm sure you have proof of this, right?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Hey if you dont want to believe it then you dont have to.

Let me ask you this--- when Monti Ossenfort made a visible efort to explain that " Ego will not be tolerated on this team.." who do you think he was referring to?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Hey if you dont want to believe it then you dont have to.

Let me ask you this--- when Monti Ossenfort made a visible efort to explain that " Ego will not be tolerated on this team.." who do you think he was referring to?
Ok, so you don't have proof. Got it.

He could be talking about DHop, for all we know.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Ok, so you don't have proof. Got it.

He could be talking about DHop, for all we know.
no i do not have proof but what i do have is a story. A story that garnered its own thread here, and also garnered attention on local and national news outlets.

Story lines like this tend to follow around people who arent good teammates.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there

Does anyone think that MB told GM candidates that they would have to find a way to keep some of the existing coaching staff so he could save money?

Also to find a HC that would be willing to accept that?

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does anyone think that MB told GM candidates that they would have to find a way to keep some of the existing coaching staff so he could save money?

Also to find a HC that stoutly would be willing to accept that?
I’m sure the new coach will be asked to at least evaluate and consider some.
But I have to believe he wouldn’t be talked into hire VJ or even keep him on if MO has his guy in mind.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is true as well.

I just don’t think Pro-Bowls are much proof of anything anymore.
I'd say it's a case-by-case basis.

Kirk Cousins is a good NFL QB, but he isn't a top five NFL QB. Put a great supporting cast around him and he can win ballgames pretty consistently, but he will never carry a team.

If I'm the Cardinals, I look to build a strong defense and running game, and let Murray, as Sean Payton said, get more "layups". Look at how the Seahawks handled Russell Wilson for years, he wasn't forced to consistently win games by himself. The Cardinals SHOULD have been developing a monster OL and running game, and made Murray the dagger to the run games bludgeon.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

Also to find a HC that stoutly would be willing to accept that?
Doubt it...Outside of Joseph, the other coaches salaries are peanuts compared to what he's eating with Keim and Kliff.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m no huge Kyler fan. But calling him a bum is a bit much I’d say. He’s shown way more positive flashes than Fields has with equal playing time in their first two years.

We are stuck with him based on this contract and I sure as hell hope a new coach/staff can get him on track. This franchise needs it and us fans deserve it.
Right? This isn't even up for debate.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Again.. most of this statement is pure conjecture and honestly thats fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

the cardinals made a huge mistake paying Murray and that was true BEFORE he blew his knee out. We are screwed.
Conjecture?? Maybe you should go back and compare stats between Murray & Fields. Dude, not even close. You‘re entitled to being miserable. But, in today’s NFL, no one is really screwed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose