Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I love it. I don't mind waiting it out. And I think Monti needs to interview even more candidates. Every one of them will come in with their own idea of where the Cardinals are and where the Cardinals could or should be. It's like a free think tank from the most knowledgeable people in football, more angles than a Frank Lloyd Wright home

Then build your board, similar to a Draft board. Score and grade each coaching candidate on any and everything tangible. Then see if PAYton is still worth giving draft pick(s) for, which would be a tough pill to swallow for a rookie GM looking to rebuild from (primarily) the draft

I don't care how long it takes. This is a major decision. Find the most capable person for the job. Find someone who can't stand to lose. This shouldn't be an impulse buy

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Put ya hate aside & use logic for a bit.

Why would they be interviewing in the first place if no one wanted to?
Exactly...It's more about either finding the right coach (fit, salary, philosophy, etc) or eliminating everyone other than Vance Joseph.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would think that it's more important for the GM and scouts to be there.

Why not both? Most of these prospects have been deeply evaluated by the Cards' scouting staff already -- often for at least a couple years. These All-star games are really the concentrated place where coaches can see how the players respond to NFL-style coaching and see them against some of the best competition they'll see outside the SEC until they reach the NFL.

It's very odd the way some people will selectively deploy the "there are only 32 NFL HC jobs available" line. As many, many people have said, you don't keep getting interview requests if you get a reputation for turning them down.

Also, it's possible that Michael is so toxic in his demands that well-qualified candidates would rather take a pass.

It's also possible that these guys get down the road and get Kyler's number and decide they'd rather wait for a better situation.

We don't really know, but I think it's safe to believe that the stupidest answer is probably the correct one.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
Exactly...It's more about either finding the right coach (fit, salary, philosophy, etc) or eliminating everyone other than Vance Joseph.
I guess the main reason I wanted Payton was to put the pressure on Murray. A coach with a proven track record and an undoubtedly QB friendly system. Maybe my worries are unjustified, but I have huge concerns with hiring a first time head coach and GM and not giving them a clean slate in terms of the biggest position on the football team. Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling we are headed for a long couple of years.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I believe @DVontel and others have alluded to this but Zac Taylor nearly making b2b Super Bowl’s shows how important a good staff and leader at QB is. I think he’s an average at best HC. Kliff isn’t any good but he didn’t have the talent advantage Taylor and Sirianni do.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I guess the main reason I wanted Payton was to put the pressure on Murray. A coach with a proven track record and an undoubtedly QB friendly system. Maybe my worries are unjustified, but I have huge concerns with hiring a first time head coach and GM and not giving them a clean slate in terms of the biggest position on the football team. Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling we are headed for a long couple of years.
Well, Payton will be on Cowherd in 30 minutes, so I guess we may hear his perspective.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

perhaps these people being interviewed are suggesting they draft a qb with the 3rd overall pick and start over

I saw Kyler announced hes really gonna ramp up the rehab and do whatever it takes to get back for next season.

Oh wait-- he didnt, instead he took selfies on a table looking sad....

#Leadership

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looks like the Payton deal is dead. However, neither of these guys from Cincy have HC experience. Makes no sense to me.
Makes total sense, they weren't as hot of a destination as MB thought they would be. He's broadening the search to include people who would be silly to turn the job down.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe @DVontel and others have alluded to this but Zac Taylor nearly making b2b Super Bowl’s shows how important a good staff and leader at QB is. I think he’s an average at best HC. Kliff isn’t any good but he didn’t have the talent advantage Taylor and Sirianni do.
Burrow's only had 1 great playoff game. And that was against the Bills last week (a team missing 3 of its safeties). He's been decent to solid at best in other games. So there is something to how well Taylor runs the squad. Although in fairness to Joe, there best play design seems to be just throwing it up to Chase and Higgins.

@PACardsFan is onto something in regard to them.

I'd still put Allen comfortably ahead of Burrow. Just had a bad game last week.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
The next 2 years while they are stuck paying murray and he is untradeable are going to be years to rebuild the trenches. Murray had every toy imaginable and couldnt do jack squat with them so we need to just bide our time until they can flip him off to the jets or the cowboys.

The day this kid gets his walking papers i am throwing a party. Youre all invited!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I give a little bit of grace to the Cardinals in this process as they also had to hire a GM. They chose to hire the GM first which I agree with. Now there is the question did the GM have a list of HCs he wanted? I would hope so. Is he interviewing guys Mike wanted? Maybe. If we end this process with our pants down it will be obvious that Mike is still too involved or he hired a GM with no HC plan.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The next 2 years while they are stuck paying murray and he is untradeable are going to be years to rebuild the trenches. Murray had every toy imaginable and couldnt do jack squat with them so we need to just bide our time until they can flip him off to the jets or the cowboys.

The day this kid gets his walking papers i am throwing a party. Youre all invited!
I know you're all in on Kyler hate/trolling, but did he really?

Lost Hopkins 12 straight games
Which occurred around the same time AJ Green became washed and yet we brought him back (I'll admt I was ok with it at the time)

He only had had both starting wrs 1 game and 3 plays in 2022.

Not to mention we passed up on a couple of All Pro lineman the last couple of drafts.

Kyler wasnt good, but Im not sure we did great by him either.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

Which occurred around the same time AJ Green became washed and yet we brought him back (I'll admt I was ok with it at the time)

Not to mention we passed up on a couple of All Pro lineman the last couple of drafts.

Hes had plenty of toys...and not ONE playoff win to show for it.

there are plenty of Kyler fans out there but there are far more upset with his effort and subpar play. The tantrum he pulled to force the $$$$ contract made it worse.

Im not trolling, Im pissed he is making my favorite football team bad.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just let the guy do his typical Kyler hate-posts every couple days & leave him be lol. That’s the only thing he’s gonna do.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno... maybe that drive in the car is when Mike and Sean discussed their plan to get NO to lower the ask... if we keep interviewing and Sean goes a week with no teams interested it could drastically lower the price.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose