Cardinals' HC Search Thoughts Part V

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Pat Shurmur said he felt a good connection with the Giants' brass when they interviewed him. Typically coaches being interviewed during the playoffs whose teams are still in the running will downplay their interest in other teams to the media. Typically coaches will say they chief focus right now is on the next game. In all likelihood, Shurmur was sending a wink to the Giants.

Shurmur would prefer the Giants---not only because the Giants currently have a stronger roster than the Cardinals and they have the #2 pick in the draft---but Shurmur has strong Philly ties (coached there for years) and the Giants are really a New Jersey team. Secondly, his son Kyle is the starting QB at Vanderbilt, which would make living on the East coast more desirable.

All this said, odds are---the Cardinals may not even get the chance for a second interview with Pat Shurmur.

So, if true, where does this leave the Cardinals with their search?

This week they will have the chance to host Steve Wilks and Mike Munchak for 2nd interviews. Perhaps MB&SK will consider hosting Keith Armstrong, per BA's recommendation. Armstrong's STs were very good in LA and at Philly.

Wilks' candidacy has a bit of a cloud over it right now---despite his long-time association with the Giants' new GM Dave Gettleman, Wilks fumbled his interview with the Giants, otherwise he would have at least been considered one of the finalists. Then there was the mysterious cancellation of his visit with the Colts.

Fact is---Wilks and Munchak have only garnered genuine interest from the Cardinals. Same for in-house candidate James Bettcher.

Wilks has a strong presence...he's passionate and highly aggressive. He takes no sh-- from anyone and makes no excuses. He holds all players accountable. The players respect him for that.

Munchak is also an alpha type coach. Very much his own man and coaches with confidence and conviction.

Wills could help turn the Cardinals' defense into a juggernaut.

Munchak could help turn one of the Cardinals long-standing weaknesses, the offensive line, into a much needed strength.

But, what is less clear in both Wilks' and Munchak's cases is how well their hires would aid and abet the Cardinals' QBOF selection process and development.

Reports are that Wilks has John DeFilippo lined up to be his OC. But chances are---the Cardinals are going to have some competition in signing JDF. What if Pat Shurmur wants him in New Jersey? What if Matt Patricia wants him in Detroit? What if other teams come calling?

Thus this leads to the question of the day---would the Cardinals be best off, especially in terms of the QBOF situation to hire John DeFilippo as head coach and with Steve Keim's help, work on surrounding him with the right coaching staff?

DeFilippo will be an NFL head coach sooner rather than later. If he's hired as OC, how long will it be before he gets a HC gig?

Wouldn't the Cardinals be better off ensuring that the QBOF is in the best hands and playing in the same system for at least the next four years, and possibly for over a decade?

There are plenty of good defensive coaches out there to pair with JDF. How about Chuck Pagano? How about Steve Spagnuolo? How about JDF bringing the Eagles' highly regarded CB coach, Cory Undlin (14 years NFL experience) with him as DC? How about Adam Zimmer (Mike's son----LB coach---12 years NFL experience)?

If Brian Flores isn't promoted to DC by the Patriots, how about signing him to be the DC?

Whether Steve Keim wants to admit it or not, the Cardinals are in a rebuilding phase, particularly on offense. Why not hire the most qualified QB coach they can? DeFilippo's track record with QBs is very impressive. His work with Carson Wentz and now Nick Folk has been outstanding.

Steve Keim---are the Cardinals finally going to draft a QBOF? If the answer is yes, why not hire the best QB coach you can find? Until the Cardinals have a QB who can lock horns with Wilson, Goff and Garoppolo, it is going to be tough to outscore their rivals, no matter how good the defense may be.

Michael Bidwill---if you can't sign Pat Shurmur, how about signing John DeFilippo as HC and build a highly competent staff around him and get to work on deciding who the QBOF will be. Some people might think that's copycatting. Who cares, if you put your QBOF in the best hands?

Last edited:

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I think you can safely cross Wilks off the list. His team has been out of the playoffs for over a week now, and hasn't garnered any interest for a 2nd interview.

MadBird

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I hope Michael's people get him your suggestion. If the Cards could get DeFilippo what would you think of Kurt Warner as a QB coach? especially with a QBOF....Has Warner ever shown an interest in coaching?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think you can safely cross Wilks off the list. His team has been out of the playoffs for over a week now, and hasn't garnered any interest for a 2nd interview.
generally a team does not start second interviews until after the first interviews are concluded. especially in the case of a very public position... bringing in a "first" after you have done some "seconds" gives the impression the guys who did the seconds are not acceptable.
giving that impression may cause a good candidate to become disgruntled with your position and sign on elsewhere, thinking you did not find him acceptable.

think about it.
you, Mike, and Bob are all three dating Sally and she has been honest that she likes all three of you.

you go to Sally and express to her that you want to be exclusive, start planning a life together.

Sally says she needs a little time to think about it before she makes a decision.

Then, while you think all is going well...suddenly you see that Sally is now also dating Dave..

WTF? Who the frick is this Dave jackass and why is he dating your Sally? Thats ********!

Now your Sally ends up spending life alone because Mike and Bob were as equally put off as you about her including Dave in the scenario...

or she winds up stuck with Dave, who she only dated out of pity anyway,...and because he had front row metallica tickets

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Hmmm...the Titans just parted ways with HC Mike Mularkey. Could they be eyeing Pat Shurmur? Pat's son Kyle is the QB at Vanderbilt. Imagine how privileged that would be to be that close you his son. Word is the Titans also covet Josh McDaniels. Plot thickens.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
When I posted my concerns about the Cards’ conditions to get the job I feared other teams might be far more aggressive. Now we’re reduced to guessing why candidates are choosing other teams. My guess is simpler. Teams told candidates they were the choice and they committed to those teams. It’s just like the old NBA trades that occured during the draft but were not “legal” to make. I know some on the board felt visiting the Cards’ facilities were critical. Why? Are they so unique they’d persuade a candidate to come to AZ. Don’t they think other teams have state-of-the-art facilities? It’s seems more like pride than function. I would think the roster would be more important. I’d be willing to bet the vast majority of the rumors of commitments prove to be true and the commissioner will do nothing. It’s one thing to tick off an owner. It’s another thing entirely to tick of a bunch of owners.

I have this sinking feeling that the Cards end up with Betcher. He’ll certainly be the cheapest hire. He’ll also be one of the least experienced candidates contending. BA’s recommendation is a sign of his loyalty, not vetting. This was a chance for the Cards to continue a recent pattern of becoming a continuously contending team. I fear the window is closing.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
When I posted my concerns about the Cards’ conditions to get the job I feared other teams might be far more aggressive. Now we’re reduced to guessing why candidates are choosing other teams. My guess is simpler. Teams told candidates they were the choice and they committed to those teams. It’s just like the old NBA trades that occured during the draft but were not “legal” to make. I know some on the board felt visiting the Cards’ facilities were critical. Why? Are they so unique they’d persuade a candidate to come to AZ. Don’t they think other teams have state-of-the-art facilities? It’s seems more like pride than function. I would think the roster would be more important. I’d be willing to bet the vast majority of the rumors of commitments prove to be true and the commissioner will do nothing. It’s one thing to tick off an owner. It’s another thing entirely to tick of a bunch of owners.

I have this sinking feeling that the Cards end up with Betcher. He’ll certainly be the cheapest hire. He’ll also be one of the least experienced candidates contending. BA’s recommendation is a sign of his loyalty, not vetting. This was a chance for the Cards to continue a recent pattern of becoming a continuously contending team. I fear the window is closing.

This is my fear as well. Listening to MB&SK say that Bettcher was their guy all along.

Harry, if you were making the call, who would be your top choices for HC?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

Keim should fire himself if Bettcher ends up being the coach.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Hmmm...the Titans just parted ways with HC Mike Mularkey. Could they be eyeing Pat Shurmur? Pat's son Kyle is the QB at Vanderbilt. Imagine how privileged that would be to be that close you his son. Word is the Titans also covet Josh McDaniels. Plot thickens.
Based on the rules, the Titans would now have to wait for the Vikings to be eliminated from the playoffs, to even request and schedule a first interview. They are behind the proverbial 8 ball, regarding coaching candidates that are on teams still playing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Based on the rules, the Titans would now have to wait for the Vikings to be eliminated from the playoffs, to even request and schedule a first interview. They are behind the proverbial 8 ball, regarding coaching candidates that are on teams still playing.

Great point! But, if Minny loses in Philly, the Titans can put Shurmur on speed dial.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
How long has this Oline been a misery in Arizona? I say since 1999 after guys like Sharpe, Tootie, etc were on the backside of their careers.

I think Munch is the Cards guy at this point because it’s likely Shurmur is headed elsewhere. He’s the best Oline coach in the nfl & turned a rag tag Stealers group into one of the better units in the league.

The Cards need some nasty in order to fulfill #31s potential & keep him from big hits going forward! DJ is the centerpiece, the face of the franchise & it’s best player! It’s time to fix the Oline, thus it’s Mike Munchak time imo.

Once we get him I do think it will probably keep Bettcher in place as DC. Mullarky & Haley might join Munch as well & imo would be good additions.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How long has this Oline been a misery in Arizona? I say since 1999 after guys like Sharpe, Tootie, etc were on the backside of their careers.

I think Munch is the Cards guy at this point because it’s likely Shurmur is headed elsewhere. He’s the best Oline coach in the nfl & turned a rag tag Stealers group into one of the better units in the league.

The Cards need some nasty in order to fulfill #31s potential & keep him from big hits going forward! DJ is the centerpiece, the face of the franchise & it’s best player! It’s time to fix the Oline, thus it’s Mike Munchak time imo.

Once we get him I do think it will probably keep Bettcher in place as DC. Mullarky & Haley might join Munch as well & imo would be good additions.

Dick Labeau is available to be hired as Assistant Head Coach. Keep Bettcher in place. Get Haley as OC. I will be ok with it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

In what world would Mularkey & Haley joining would be “good”?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We would run an exotic smash-mouth big-ego offense. What's not to like?
So what the boring ass Titans run even though they hindered Mariota’s development?

Reaction score
All the HC's going here or there is speculation at this point. We don't know who is signing who. The Cards may already have an agreement in place for all we know but we are somehow missing the boat? Nobody knows a damn thing at this point other than the Bears signed Nagy.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
In what world would Mularkey & Haley joining would be “good”?
I think most here & the Stealer fans are being too hard on Haley.

His offenses are generally in the top 10...it’s not all Big Ben running the show. Sure there is questionable play calling at times, but that can be said of any coach. Just like yesterday, everyone is questioning missing on 2 4th & ones. Well, Haley did call 2 bombs for TDs on the other 2. Even on the last 4th & 1 Ben threw to the wrong guy, an underneath crossing route was wide open for the first!!!

How soon we all forget...

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is amazing isn't it? Reality always catches on though we refuse to accept it.

For all the talk of stable ownership, credentialed GM, good home field advantage, great facilities, terrific weather, a place where you can raise a family yada yada; top prospects like Arians, McDaniels, Shurmur, Patricia etc don't want to touch the cardinals coaching job until all their options dried up.

McDaniels is fine going to a work for a coke-filled owner or to a Titans team no one knows who the owner is. Shurmur publicly begs the Giants to hire him. Most of you know any and all reasons for this.

Yet again the cardinals best hope is they can use some of the leftovers and make a chicken salad.

Reality is hard to accept but it cannot be outrun.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It is amazing isn't it? Reality always catches on though we refuse to accept it.

For all the talk of stable ownership, credentialed GM, good home field advantage, great facilities, terrific weather, a place where you can raise a family yada yada; top prospects like Arians, McDaniels, Shurmur, Patricia etc don't want to touch the cardinals coaching job until all their options dried up.

McDaniels is fine going to a work for a coke-filled owner or to a Titans team no one knows who the owner is. Shurmur publicly begs the Giants to hire him. Most of you know any and all reasons for this.

Yet again the cardinals best hope is they can use some of the leftovers and make a chicken salad.

wow...

how many times have you cut yourself? Just out of curiosity

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This could be a Jon Gruden type behind the scenes firing/hiring Scenario. Titans waiting for Mularkey to lose in order to fire him. Sneaking into the playoffs only delayed the firing. Maybe the Titans whispered to Shurmur abouit a deal weeks ago. Young promising QB, 2 stud RBs. Decent WRs. Decent O line. Make Momma happy with son at Vandy.

Aww crap. I just sold Shurmur on the job. Sorry Cards.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score

That's why I would've hired Wilks immediately. Nobody from the flashy HC candidates like Shurmur will come to the Cardinals unless it's their only choice left. Yet those flashy names don't pan out very often. Often it's the under-the-radar guys like Wilks, who is going to work and coach hard, holds his players and staff accountable, and is a great leader of man, great motivational speaker. Cards organization gets fooled all the time. Same when FA Peyton Manning came in for a visit. We lack that killer instinct on and off the field. Bunch of good guys, but not really successful. Then MB coming out and saying it turned out well the last time we waited and got BA. Well, we got lucky the Bears didn't want BA first, and despite having some success, we won 1 playoff game. If that's what MB calls success, that's all you need to know. And that I said, I really like MB. It's just a shame for us we are doomed for mediocrity again despite having some great players like P Peterson, C Jones and D Johnson.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Just a thought but what about Mike Munchak as Head coach to take care of the offensive line problems. John Defilippo as OC to take care of our new young QB and Chuck Pagano as DC. Or we can bring in Pagano as assistant head coach defense if we want to keep Bettcher and have Pagano help further Bettcher's training. This all if we can't sign Shurmur or Matt Patricia as head coach.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
wow...

how many times have you cut yourself? Just out of curiosity

I would like Munchak. I can understand why they want Shurmur or Flores etc. The post was to bring a dose of reality (I get it some will feel like "don't pee in my cheerios" and the forum is to escape reality etc etc)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

This is exactly how I have been feeling about the whole coaching carousel for a couple days now. They are going to wait until their only choice is Bettcher and claim he was "The Guy" all along. Most of the current staff will also stay put with Amos possibly staying too. Sad sad commentary to say the least.