Cardinals expecting OL Josh Jones ‘to really step up’ in 2022

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No, Jones will play RG. I expect a free agent to play on the left, though they might use that first round pick. That would not be my preference.

I hope Pugh restructures his deal, and he seems like they type that might. Not that I'm super excited about him coming back for one more year, but because in an offseason that threatens to be tumultuous, I would opt for stability at the LG position. Only my opinion though.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Ah I remember when most were saying this was a steal & made up for passing on Wirfs.

Good times.
He was generally well regarded. OLs often develop slowly. Year 3 is often the break point. He comes to camp this year as the probable starter. I’m willing to see if he takes a big step forward. It’s certainly possible.
He is definitely round1 after the Senior Bowl. Can play guard or center. Tackle is a maybe. Wouldn’t be my choice with this pick but he’s a talent.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I hope Pugh restructures his deal, and he seems like they type that might. Not that I'm super excited about him coming back for one more year, but because in an offseason that threatens to be tumultuous, I would opt for stability at the LG position. Only my opinion though.
He just restructured last year. I doubt he’ll drop down again but there are several guards on the FA list and the draft is deep.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lots of good lineman who can fill holes and be available in the first two rounds.

Love Charles Cross.
Neal is a talent.
Ikem is a monster.
Kenyon Green is getting forgotten.
Zion is good.
Linderbaum is good.
Darian Kinnard is a monster.
Penning super aggressive.

Separating these guys and identifying if you can trade down will be the tough part. Stick and pick should be easy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lots of good lineman who can fill holes and be available in the first two rounds.

Love Charles Cross.
Neal is a talent.
Ikem is a monster.
Kenyon Green is getting forgotten.
Zion is good.
Linderbaum is good.
Darian Kinnard is a monster.
Penning super aggressive.

Separating these guys and identifying if you can trade down will be the tough part. Stick and pick should be easy.
At least a few of these guys should be there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why do people keep going on about Pugh's contract? It's a perfectly reasonable if not value contract.

He was ranked 13th in pass blocking last year per PFF (take that however you like) but either way he's a good pass blocking guard. His run blocking is not great however.

But we want to protect Kyler and he's good in pass pro. His APY is $7.5m per year. That's the 15th most expensive Guard in the league. Is that not fair money?

Guys like Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Cody Whitehair and Andrew Norwell are getting paid more.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Why do people keep going on about Pugh's contract? It's a perfectly reasonable if not value contract.

He was ranked 13th in pass blocking last year per PFF (take that however you like) but either way he's a good pass blocking guard. His run blocking is not great however.

But we want to protect Kyler and he's good in pass pro. His APY is $7.5m per year. That's the 15th most expensive Guard in the league. Is that not fair money?

Guys like Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Cody Whitehair and Andrew Norwell are getting paid more.

You're right that it's not a terrible contract. Perhaps it just doesn't look that great compared to Beachum's contract for example.

Part of it is that Pugh, whom I appreciate very much for all that he's contributed to the team, is perhaps and unfortunately starting to decline a little now that he's into his 30s. Although it's debatable.

Part of it is that the team is strapped for cap space this upcoming season. Also at some point it would be nice to have a mauler at the G position.

But there you're right that there's really no convincing argument that we should immediately move on from Pugh. Just wish it would be for a little less than the 11 mil cap hit (I think that's what I read) that he's going to carry next year. No big deal though.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're right that it's not a terrible contract. Perhaps it just doesn't look that great compared to Beachum's contract for example.

Part of it is that Pugh, whom I appreciate very much for all that he's contributed to the team, is perhaps and unfortunately starting to decline a little now that he's into his 30s. Although it's debatable.

Part of it is that the team is strapped for cap space this upcoming season. Also at some point it would be nice to have a mauler at the G position.

But there you're right that there's really no convincing argument that we should immediately move on from Pugh. Just wish it would be for a little less than the 11 mil cap hit (I think that's what I read) that he's going to carry next year. No big deal though.

His cap hit is $11.8m but that's not what he is paid.

Keim restructured him last year so his cap hit was only $6.8m.

We can't have it both ways. When you lower the cap hit one year it goes up another.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I'm with you. While I'd love to upgrade Pugh, there's absolutely no reason to do so under our current situation. We have far, FAR more pressing concerns. He will suffice. Hump isn't great anymore and Beechum/Hudson are getting long in the tooth, but we're riding with them as well. That locks down 4/5 of our OL. Consistency will help them gel from one year to the other, which will help. RG, though, needs improvement.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm with you. While I'd love to upgrade Pugh, there's absolutely no reason to do so under our current situation. We have far, FAR more pressing concerns. He will suffice. Hump isn't great anymore and Beechum/Hudson are getting long in the tooth, but we're riding with them as well. That locks down 4/5 of our OL. Consistency will help them gel from one year to the other, which will help. RG, though, needs improvement.
The team might be wise to focus on OLine in the draft because Humphries, Pugh, Hudson and Beachum are all UFA come 2023 as is Murray. Unless they start working some extensions the Oline is entirely up in the air after the upcoming season. No worries though, we still have Josh Jones.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont know if Josh Jones will be any good or not

but i think writing off a player after two years of up and down performance is a mistake -- and this is especially true with large men at a technically demanding position.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i dont know if Josh Jones will be any good or not

but i think writing off a player after two years of up and down performance is a mistake -- and this is especially true with large men at a technically demanding position.
For sure you don’t give up on him, but similarly relying on him seems foolish when you’re a playoff team.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
For sure you don’t give up on him, but similarly relying on him seems foolish when you’re a playoff team.

It would be all but unconscionable for Keim/Kingsbury to pencil in JJ as our starting RG for the 2022 season (sorry JJ, please prove me wrong man), so I really hope that's not what's happening here. At the very worst, I hope Jones is the back up to Justin Murray.

But I think it would better for the team if they could find a way to bring in a real mauler/road-grader type at RG, and have J. Murray as the back up. Jones can be like the 8th oline guy we carry, and we can keep trying to develop him.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It would be all but unconscionable for Keim/Kingsbury to pencil in JJ as our starting RG for the 2022 season (sorry JJ, please prove me wrong man), so I really hope that's not what's happening here. At the very worst, I hope Jones is the back up to Justin Murray.

But I think it would better for the team if they could find a way to bring in a real mauler/road-grader type at RG, and have J. Murray as the back up. Jones can be like the 8th oline guy we carry, and we can keep trying to develop him.
Amen brotha!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson