TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe because Keim claimed they had Jones graded as a first round pick just might be the reason people are expecting more.

Hump was a 1st round pick and took at least 2 years to be any good.

Andrew Thomas was #4 pick in 2020 and was garbage. Austin Jackson was #18 and trash.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I predicted this on a different thread. Looking at the cap situation and being certain Garcia is done, this was clearly the plan. The Cards need some affordable starters. If he can avoid the penalties, he’s at least as good as Garcia. Hopefully once the job is his, he’ll grow into the position.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hump was a 1st round pick and took at least 2 years to be any good.

Andrew Thomas was #4 pick in 2020 and was garbage. Austin Jackson was #18 and trash.
It makes sense why OL aren't always good for a few years.

The strength deficit is a real thing. They are going against 28 year old DL who have had years to hone their bodies.

Jones had some bad games, but he also had a few good ones as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe because Keim claimed they had Jones graded as a first round pick just might be the reason people are expecting more.
That’s also a great indicator at how poor keim is a talent evaluator. If he had him as a first round talent and he’s sucked this much thus far, why would we trust his expectations of the guy he already whiffed on once?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not down on Jones like others. He has the size and athletic ability to play. His issue seems to be strength and that can be fixed. People only remember him getting bull rushed, which is hard to forget, but that's seems to come from not being strong enough. If he puts in the strength work, I think he can be a good OL.
DJ was a 1st round pick and it took him 3 years to get to be a legit OL and he's improved from there. Jones can do the same.
He must’ve spent his first two years in the weight room while kyler was watching film. :rolleyes:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The strength deficit is a real thing. They are going against 28 year old DL who have had years to hone their bodies.

Out of curiosity which games were the “good” ones. And by “good” do mean objectively “good” or do you mean average or just not gawd awful. Because I don’t remember any objectively good games. I recall some less awful, but not good, games.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not down on Jones like others. He has the size and athletic ability to play. His issue seems to be strength and that can be fixed. People only remember him getting bull rushed, which is hard to forget, but that's seems to come from not being strong enough. If he puts in the strength work, I think he can be a good OL.
DJ was a 1st round pick and it took him 3 years to get to be a legit OL and he's improved from there. Jones can do the same.
If he hasn't fixed strength issues by now, why should we have any faith he can/will put in the work to fix them moving forward? Knee Deep is very much the exception to the maturation rule in the NFL. If you don't have the drive early, it's hard to find it later. And if it isn't a drive issue and he simply isn't strong enough, well, that's a problem in and of itself.

I don't want to give up on the kid yet. It wouldn't make sense to, especially with our dearth of OL options. I just very much hope we're not counting on him to start.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If he hasn't fixed strength issues by now, why should we have any faith he can/will put in the work to fix them moving forward? Knee Deep is very much the exception to the maturation rule in the NFL. If you don't have the drive early, it's hard to find it later. And if it isn't a drive issue and he simply isn't strong enough, well, that's a problem in and of itself.

I don't want to give up on the kid yet. It wouldn't make sense to, especially with our dearth of OL options. I just very much hope we're not counting on him to start.
This

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He barely played in year 1. And all his training was at tackle where you are up against quicker, lighter guys and he probably didn't have a strength deficit.

Then he was thrown in at guard where he's up against bigger, heavier and stronger dudes who are more often trying to beat you with power rather than speed and agility.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He barely played in year 1. And all his training was at tackle where you are up against quicker, lighter guys and he probably didn't have a strength deficit.

Then he was thrown in at guard where he's up against bigger, heavier and stronger dudes who are more often trying to beat you with power rather than speed and agility.
Mm, I get what you're saying, but it's not like he would stop getting stronger (if he was trying) because he was working at tackle. More strength wouldn't harm him there.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I predicted this on a different thread. Looking at the cap situation and being certain Garcia is done, this was clearly the plan. The Cards need some affordable starters. If he can avoid the penalties, he’s at least as good as Garcia. Hopefully once the job is his, he’ll grow into the position.

Yeah like the very worst case scenario would be if they cut Pugh and hoped (because that's all it would be at this point) that Jones could capably replace Justin.

But I don't think the Cardinals are planning on Jones being a starter in 2022. Surely not. Just a back up.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Krang, man, you know I'm one of the most optimistic guys out there, but even if I squint I don't see many good plays for JJ. I do see a lot of bad ones, and a lot of penalties.

Could he flip the switch in the upcoming season? I guess so. Maybe. And I'm not going to flip out if he's the 7th or 8th guy in our Oline room.

But it's a dangerous roster strategy to count on guys getting (a lot) better from one year to the next, and I really hope that's not what the Cardinals are doing here.

I doubt they are. It will be either Justin Murray (who's on a really cheap contract) or a FA/draft pick starting at RG in 2022.

The article is probably just putting JJ on notice that they won't offer him a 2nd contract unless he improves significantly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mm, I get what you're saying, but it's not like he would stop getting stronger (if he was trying) because he was working at tackle. More strength wouldn't harm him there.

Sure but it probably wasn't a focus. I'm guessing he was more focused on footwork and technique to play tackle than the power and anchor requirements you have at guard.

When you think about it they have very different requirements. Guards very much need to stand their ground and not get pushed back into the pocket where tackles don't ever do that, they are fanning out.

Really we need him to stay focused on tackle which is more important.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sure but it probably wasn't a focus. I'm guessing he was more focused on footwork and technique to play tackle than the power and anchor requirements you have at guard.

When you think about it they have very different requirements. Guards very much need to stand their ground and not get pushed back into the pocket where tackles don't ever do that, they are fanning out.

Really we need him to stay focused on tackle which is more important.
He doesn’t have time in the offseason to work on footwork and technique and put in the requisite amount of time for strength training? That’s kind of an absurd thought for an offensive lineman.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He was a 5th year senior in college and has had 2 years in the NFL. He will be 25 in June. Not sure how much better people expect him to get. DJ Humphries was like 21 when we drafted him so he had two less years of development and maturity.

This is the issue with taking 5th year Srs as prospects. The ceiling is just lower most of the time.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah I remember when most were saying this was a steal & made up for passing on Wirfs.

Good times.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yeah like the very worst case scenario would be if they cut Pugh and hoped (because that's all it would be at this point) that Jones could capably replace Justin.

But I don't think the Cardinals are planning on Jones being a starter in 2022. Surely not. Just a back up.
No, Jones will play RG. I expect a free agent to play on the left, though they might use that first round pick. That would not be my preference.