C EVAN BOEHM, Daniel Munyer
RG JOHN WETZEL, Cole Toner
RT JARED VELDHEER, Ulrich John
TE DARREN FELLS, Ifeanyi Momah, Hakeem Valles, Troy Niklas

Starter Need: G, TE
Depth Need: RB, WR, C
Future Need: QB

UFA Possibilities:

G---Kevin Zeitler (CIN); Larry Warford (DET); Luke Joeckel (JAX); Ronald Leary (DAL)

TE---Martellus Bennett (NE); Jermaine Gresham (AZ); Jacob Tamme (TB); Luke Willson (SEA)

RB---Eddie Lacey (GB); LeGarrett Blount (NE); James Starks (GB); Danny Woodhead (SD); DeAngelo Williams (PIT); Rex Burkhead (CIN); Tim Hightower (NO); Bennie Cunningham (LA)

WR---Kenny Stills (MIA); Pierre Garcon (WAS); DeSean Jackson (WAS); Kendall Wright (TEN); Robert Woods (BUF); Terrelle Pryor (CLE); Kenny Britt (LA)

C---A.Q. Shipley (AZ); Brian Schwenke (TEN); J.C. Trotter (GB); Joe Hawley (TB)

QB---Mike Glennon (TB)

* Have to give credit to Steve Keim for keeping as many ducks in a row, depth-wise, as he can, especially in light of having 20 UFAs.

Your predictions (UFA or Draft Pick)?

RG: __________________________
TE: __________________________
RB: __________________________
WR: __________________________
C: ___________________________
QB: __________________________

My guesses today are:

RG: Luke Joeckel (UFA-JAX)---his versatility is a plus, with best years ahead of him and his contract won't break the bank
TE: Bucky Hodges (Round 2---Virginia Tech---too talented to pass up at #45)
RB: Rex Burkhead (UFA-CIN)---hard runner, good receiver and STs player, made to order
WR: Corey Davis (Round 1 pick---Western Michigan---has Cardinals written all over him---the DJ of WRs)
C: A.Q. Shipley (UFA-AZ)---will compete with Evan Boehm for starting spot
QB: Chad Kelly (Round 4 pick---Mississippi---worth the chance at this spot---can spend the year mending and learning the offense).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the Corey Davis pick.

I wouldn't be unhappy if Chris Johnson returned.

Toner and Wetzel are listed at OG but provide depth at OT

A lot of things point to our retaining Shipley at C-G

Dilemma at TE - No established starters. Four potential,starters - or not?

Are we at a stage where we should bring in a #2 QB to push Stanton & add seasoned depth?

I don't think it's realistic to split offense and defense - you lose the crossover flexibility.

Nice job, Mitch - provides a framework & jumping off point we can all use.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Analysis:

QB:

* With the trio of Palmer, Stanton and Dysert the Cardinals certainly can rely on continuity this season---and go full-scale into finding the QBOF next year, if that is what they want to do. Much of this consideration hinges on Stanton. There is no point in adding a rookie QB to run the scout team while Stanton gobbles up the #2 QB reps.

* If the Cardinals are willing to trade or release Stanton, there is a scenario where they could sign QB Mike Glennon to a backloaded contract (minimal cap hit this year) with decent guaranteed money and a plethora of incentives. Glennon would become the #2 for this year and have a leg up as the starter in 2018. Plus, Glennon is a stronger option than Stanton, should Palmer miss some time this season. If they truly like Glennon, as Gambo insists, then this would be a smart move. This may also do much to keep BA as the HC for another couple of years. BA will always be in the win now mode---he is not going to want to take his lumps with a young, inexperienced QB.

RB:

* The biggest question here is just how much the Cardinals plan to use David Johnson as a slot or wide receiver. Johnson is brilliant in space and is just as explosive at WR as he is at RB. The coaches have to be mindful of how many carries Johnson gets between the tackles per game. They need to protect and preserve him. He's too vital in all areas of the offense to ground and pound him too much.

* If the plan is to split Johnson's time between the backfield and the slot, then it would be wise for the Cardinals to add a #2 RB. Kerwynn Williams can handle some of that load, as could Elijhaa Penny---but adding a combo RB/WR like Christian McCaffrey (Stanford) or Curtis Samuel (Penn St.) or Wayne Gallman (Clemson) could be a coup. Dalvin Cook (Florida St.) is a better prospect than former Seminole Devonta Freeman. If he's on the board at #13 a BPA consideration could be made for Cook. As the Falcons have shown, having two explosive RBs, keeps them fresh and the offense on fast-forward.

WR:

* Even with Larry Fitzgerald returning, there is no question that the Cardinals are going to add one or two new WRs. BA basically rules out taking a WR in round 1---but that could be a smokescreen because Mike Williams (Clemson) and Corey Davis (Western Michigan) are big-time prospects. I think that Corey Davis is a better fit because he has a command of the entire route tree and he is just as dynamic from the slot as he is on the perimeter.

* In Round 2 a number of very good WR prospects could be on the board: JuJu Smith-Schuster (USC), Isaiah Ford (Virgina Tech), Cooper Kupp (Eastern Washington) and ArDarius Stewart (Alabama).

* For round 3---my favorite WR is Taiwan Taylor (Western Kentucky). Tay Jones (Eastern Carolina) and Artavis Scott (Clemson) would be very good picks there as well.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
QB CARSON PALMER, Drew Stanton, Zac Dysert
RB DAVID JOHNSON, Kerwynn Williams, Elijhaa Penny
WR LARRY FITZGERALD, Jaron Brown, Aaron Dobson
WR J.J. NELSON, Marquis Bundy, Brittan Golden
WR JOHN BROWN, Chris Hubert, Marvin Hall
LT D.J. HUMPHRIES, Givens Price
LG MIKE IUPATI, Caleb Johnson

UFA Possibilities:

G---Kevin Zeitler (CIN); Larry Warford (DET); Luke Joeckel (JAX); Ronald Leary (DAL)

TE---Martellus Bennett (NE); Jermaine Gresham (AZ); Jacob Tamme (TB); Luke Willson (SEA)

RB---Eddie Lacey (GB); LeGarrett Blount (NE); James Starks (GB); Danny Woodhead (SD); DeAngelo Williams (PIT); Rex Burkhead (CIN); Tim Hightower (NO); Bennie Cunningham (LA)

WR---Kenny Stills (MIA); Pierre Garcon (WAS); DeSean Jackson (WAS); Kendall Wright (TEN); Robert Woods (BUF); Terrelle Pryor (CLE); Kenny Britt (LA)

QB---Mike Glennon (TB)

* Have to give credit to Steve Keim for keeping as many ducks in a row, depth-wise, as he can, especially in light of having 20 UFAs.

My guesses today are:

RG: Luke Joeckel (UFA-JAX)---his versatility is a plus, with best years ahead of him and his contract won't break the bank
RB: Rex Burkhead (UFA-CIN)---hard runner, good receiver and STs player, made to order
WR: Corey Davis (Round 1 pick---Western Michigan---has Cardinals written all over him---the DJ of WRs)
QB: Chad Kelly (Round 4 pick---Mississippi---worth the chance at this spot---can spend the year mending and learning the offense).

#1 - Mitch I am totally stealing your work here for my base on, hopefully, getting some offseason posts out there (I gots a new job and am busier than ever <-- good problem to have). Point is, good work you Cardinals football madman.

#2 - I did this on a notebook while watching the last game of the year, and with all the ridiculous hyperbole surrounding the "20 free agents" the Cardinals "need" to sign, when you write up the roster like you did, you see that it is not a dire situation. We have talent at the positions. I like that you put the RFA's and ERFA's in there because they will all come back if the Cardinals want them. There is no one a team is going to give up draft picks for, or match offers for that I can see.

#3 - I completely agree with your priorities in free agency as well. The truth of it is, the Cardinals could even "make do" with the tight ends and guards they already have. But, lets be honest, putting a guy like Larry Warford at RG would potentially give the Cardinals a very large offensive line, and look no further than the Raiders to see that size is making a come back on the offensive line. Having Warford and a healthy Iupati is some serious power at the guard position. Warford is my biggest want, and hope for the offseason. I could live with taking a risk that Darren Fells will come back and produce need be.

#4 - I am sucker for a big back. I want E.Penny to have NFL talent. Why ? Cause I think about putting Penny and D.Johnson in the backfield together, putting Johnson in motion out to the slot, spreading the defense out, and then slamming a power back up the middle. Nasty, just nasty. Have your choice of trying to cover DJ, Fitz, and the Brown brothers, or getting bludgeoned by a 250lbs back.

Great stuff.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
MItch this guys Mock is in line with your FA thinking. I like his FA choices although Hightower is a little unrealistic. Given the way the draft falls, I might trade back for McCaffrey or Ramczyk vs the QB. Ideally I would take Lattimore and free up the R2 pick.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585671

Great find, Reddog! I had seen this mock, which surprised me about him having us signing Dont'a Hightower in FA. That said, I agree with you. I think adding Hightower would be fantastic, but I think the Pats will put the f-tag on him and try to coax him off his $13M a year asking price.

The perfect G fit for the Cardinals is Forest Lamp of Western Kentucky, who is being likened to Zack Martin. Trading back into the 20s to take him and to add an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder would be fine with me.

This guy has Lamp going late in the 2nd round---but that's not going to happen. He'll go somewhere in the top 40 picks. Many think he is best OL prospect in the draft.

If the draft were to go the way he predicts, I would try to trade up 1 spot with the Saints to select Malik Hooker, FS, Ohio St. Trading up one spot probably means giving up a 4th rounder---which, imo, would be well worth it. However, in reality, I don't think Hooker makes it past the Chargers at #7.

Trading back for McCaffrey would make me happy, that's for sure. I think his versatility on our offense and his punt returning ability would provide a tremendous boost to the team. Could help us win the close games we lost last year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch - Are Hooker, Adams and Peppers close enough talent-wise to be considered equal options should the Cards want to draft a safety at #13? How about at #45?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
#1 - Mitch I am totally stealing your work here for my base on, hopefully, getting some offseason posts out there (I gots a new job and am busier than ever <-- good problem to have). Point is, good work you Cardinals football madman.

#2 - I did this on a notebook while watching the last game of the year, and with all the ridiculous hyperbole surrounding the "20 free agents" the Cardinals "need" to sign, when you write up the roster like you did, you see that it is not a dire situation. We have talent at the positions. I like that you put the RFA's and ERFA's in there because they will all come back if the Cardinals want them. There is no one a team is going to give up draft picks for, or match offers for that I can see.

#3 - I completely agree with your priorities in free agency as well. The truth of it is, the Cardinals could even "make do" with the tight ends and guards they already have. But, lets be honest, putting a guy like Larry Warford at RG would potentially give the Cardinals a very large offensive line, and look no further than the Raiders to see that size is making a come back on the offensive line. Having Warford and a healthy Iupati is some serious power at the guard position. Warford is my biggest want, and hope for the offseason. I could live with taking a risk that Darren Fells will come back and produce need be.

#4 - I am sucker for a big back. I want E.Penny to have NFL talent. Why ? Cause I think about putting Penny and D.Johnson in the backfield together, putting Johnson in motion out to the slot, spreading the defense out, and then slamming a power back up the middle. Nasty, just nasty. Have your choice of trying to cover DJ, Fitz, and the Brown brothers, or getting bludgeoned by a 250lbs back.

Great stuff.

Thanks, Rugby, my fellow Cardinals football madman!

I really like Penny---and as you say, if we add a big, road-mauling RG like Warford (or Chance Warmack), the ground and pound game for the Cardinals would be fun to watch---heck, it might even make THESMEL go into a spasmodic ecstasy!

But---what if in addition to Penny we could sign UFA RB Eddie Lacey? Talk about occupying the linebackers!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch - Are Hooker, Adams and Peppers close enough talent-wise to be considered equal options should the Cards want to draft a safety at #13? How about at #45?

Hooker is an elite FS, in my opinion, Jeff. He's fast, tough and has a special sense of radar on deep passes. Think Ed Reed, only faster.

Adams is a dynamic in the box safety, a la Honey Badger, but not quite as nuanced on blitzes and in coverage.

Peppers is a box player too...SS or 43 WLB...he's a guy also similar to Honey Badger in that you want to move him around to create havoc. But Peppers does not have HB's superior cover skills.

To get Hooker the Cardinals would have to move up. To me he is a special talent and worth moving up for.

If Steve Keim is unable to re-sign Tony Jefferson and Adams is on the board at #13, with the way the Cardinals play 3-4 safeties 75% of the time, Adams would be a superb pick. Of course, Honey Badger and Pat P. would go wild to have Adams on board with them.

Peppers, imo, is not quite worthy of the #13 pick---he's tough to evaluate because he is such a hybrid type player and we already have Tyrann Mathieu as our roving safety.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Thanks, Rugby, my fellow Cardinals football madman!

I really like Penny---and as you say, if we add a big, road-mauling RG like Warford (or Chance Warmack), the ground and pound game for the Cardinals would be fun to watch---heck, it might even make THESMEL go into a spasmodic ecstasy!

But---what if in addition to Penny we could sign UFA RB Eddie Lacey? Talk about occupying the linebackers!

I think GB would be crazy to let Lacey walk.

More and more there are players like Alan Branch or in the Cardinals case DJ Swearinger where a younger player needs to mature as a man to get to that NFL level of talent. Eddie Lacey could be one of those types of players. If Lacey keeps the weight off ? He is a Jerome Bettis type player with a good blend of power and quickness. But, does he come in on a prove it deal, because that would be the only way I see the Cardinals getting him. Bonus: We may get to see K9 do his Fat Eddie Lacey dance I have heard about.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Joeckel has been a huge disappointment in Jax and that has been a mystery. I would love for the Cards to somehow find room to sign Kevin Zeitler to play RG. An OL of Humphries, Iuapati, Boehm(hopefully)Zeitler and Veldheer would be pretty nice and should be a priority if BA is to be believed that they need to protect Palmer better this year.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
RG: ______Forrest Lamp (pick)___________________
TE: _______Gresham___________________
RB: ________Unknown pick__________________
WR: _________Boldin_________________
C: _____________Boehm______________
QB: _________Deshone Kizer_________________

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Analysis:

QB:

* With the trio of Palmer, Stanton and Dysert the Cardinals certainly can rely on continuity this season---and go full-scale into finding the QBOF next year, if that is what they want to do. Much of this consideration hinges on Stanton. There is no point in adding a rookie QB to run the scout team while Stanton gobbles up the #2 QB reps.

* If the Cardinals are willing to trade or release Stanton, there is a scenario where they could sign QB Mike Glennon to a backloaded contract (minimal cap hit this year) with decent guaranteed money and a plethora of incentives. Glennon would become the #2 for this year and have a leg up as the starter in 2018. Plus, Glennon is a stronger option than Stanton, should Palmer miss some time this season. If they truly like Glennon, as Gambo insists, then this would be a smart move. This may also do much to keep BA as the HC for another couple of years. BA will always be in the win now mode---he is not going to want to take his lumps with a young, inexperienced QB.

RB:

* The biggest question here is just how much the Cardinals plan to use David Johnson as a slot or wide receiver. Johnson is brilliant in space and is just as explosive at WR as he is at RB. The coaches have to be mindful of how many carries Johnson gets between the tackles per game. They need to protect and preserve him. He's too vital in all areas of the offense to ground and pound him too much.

* If the plan is to split Johnson's time between the backfield and the slot, then it would be wise for the Cardinals to add a #2 RB. Kerwynn Williams can handle some of that load, as could Elijhaa Penny---but adding a combo RB/WR like Christian McCaffrey (Stanford) or Curtis Samuel (Penn St.) or Wayne Gallman (Clemson) could be a coup. Dalvin Cook (Florida St.) is a better prospect than former Seminole Devonta Freeman. If he's on the board at #13 a BPA consideration could be made for Cook. As the Falcons have shown, having two explosive RBs, keeps them fresh and the offense on fast-forward.

WR:

* Even with Larry Fitzgerald returning, there is no question that the Cardinals are going to add one or two new WRs. BA basically rules out taking a WR in round 1---but that could be a smokescreen because Mike Williams (Clemson) and Corey Davis (Western Michigan) are big-time prospects. I think that Corey Davis is a better fit because he has a command of the entire route tree and he is just as dynamic from the slot as he is on the perimeter.

* In Round 2 a number of very good WR prospects could be on the board: JuJu Smith-Schuster (USC), Isaiah Ford (Virgina Tech), Cooper Kupp (Eastern Washington) and ArDarius Stewart (Alabama).

* For round 3---my favorite WR is Taiwan Taylor (Western Kentucky). Tay Jones (Eastern Carolina) and Artavis Scott (Clemson) would be very good picks there as well.

Makes a lot of sense what you propose about Glennon. They'd have to waive Stanton mtl, don't think there would be any trade takers. I'm not a fan of a statue QB. Don't think that plays well in today's league with the numerous blitz packages. I'd much rather take the flyer on a rookie and have them split QB#2 reps for this season.

Getting the vet FA G, C, CB and S has to take precedent right now. Fixing the interior OL has to be a top priority in FA. Cambell might be on the outside because of the depth there at DE.

WR and RB should be addressed in the draft. But it's still very possible they go "D" in the 1st Rd. Can't see BA pulling the trigger for OJ either.

Reaction score

UFA Possibilities:

QB---Mike Glennon (TB)

My guesses today are:

UFA Possibilities:

QB---Mike Glennon (TB)

My guesses today are:

The 1st Round : Corey Davis

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1