Cardinals : AJ green signed

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A couple observations.

1. Keim is feeling the heat and going with proven veterans. I think he will fail.
2. I think all of those routes we saw Hop run on the left side last year will be mirrored on the right side by Green. <-- Boring, easily schemed, unimaginative.
3. Expecting anything more than 60 receptions, 800 yards, and maybe 5 to 6 TD's is foolish IMO.
4. We have zero protections if this was a fluke season as some are arguing. He's gone or overpaid next year. <-- STUPID.
5. The Samuel contract is better than this one. I'm not saying he's a #1 WR, but he compliments DHop much better than a 33yr old AJ.

We still need a deep threat. This aint gonna cut it IMO.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How? His aDot is a full 2.2 yards more than anyone.

Here's a Bengals fan breaking down AJ Green early in the season and how many bad deep passes he had.

I think it's clear AJ wasn't happy in Cinci before the season which was made worse by having to suffer through going untargeted or being missed by 4 yards.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Literally the first play on this video is an intermediate route over the middle that was overthrown and picked. Unless Kyler figures this throw out...... AJ better get used to this.

I think we will see a ton of slants and back shoulder routes. I'm super "meh" on this signing.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
From the Athletic:

What does Green have left in the tank?
Paul Dehner Jr., Bengals beat writer: Green went to eight consecutive Pro Bowls and was a couple of injuries away from reaching 1,000 yards each year. Yet, injuries quickly became the story in recent years and leave a significant question of how much he has left in the tank.

Green ripped up his ankle on the first training camp practice in 2019, missed that entire season and looked like a shell of himself last year even going five games without a reception despite staying healthy all season. The hope here would be Green still has game left and was just miscast in Zac Taylor's system.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It is just 1 year and just think if he kills it. He will be ready to play, unlike expecting another young draftee who will take 2 or 3 years before we realize he is a bust. I think he is worth a shot, and the ceiling is very high if he can stay healthy and takes pride in playing on our wonderful team. Plus, we can use 1 of our 4 draft picks on other needs, like RB or DT or 2nd CB.

Just imagine if 5 years ago we woke up one Sunday and saw a WR lineup of Fitz, Green, and Hopkins.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is just 1 year and just think if he kills it. He will be ready to play, unlike expecting another young draftee who will take 2 or 3 years before we realize he is a bust. I think he is worth a shot, and the ceiling is very high if he can stay healthy and takes pride in playing on our wonderful team. Plus, we can use 1 of our 4 draft picks on other needs, like RB or DT or 2nd CB.

Just imagine if 5 years ago we woke up one Sunday and saw a WR lineup of Fitz, Green, and Hopkins.

Exactly. I think fans are discounting what a solid dude and hard worker he is. I see some people mention Crabtree earlier. He's the exact opposite of Crabtree.

He's very much like Fitz. Unless he gets injured I only see upside. It's not unfeasible he has a year and he's our WR2 for the next few years.

However, I still would rather have had Samuels for the money.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. I think fans are discounting what a solid dude and hard worker he is. I see some people mention Crabtree earlier. He's the exact opposite of Crabtree.

He's very much like Fitz. Unless he gets injured I only see upside. It's not unfeasible he has a year and he's our WR2 for the next few years.

I know the Cardinals very liked him before the draft, and they would have selected him instead of peterson, but was taken a spot earlier
I guess Keim really liked him, and likely often happen he doesn't consider the age is a big factor

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know the Cardinals very liked him before the draft, and they would have selected him instead of peterson, but was taken a spot earlier
I guess Keim really liked him, and likely often happen he doesn't consider the age is a big factor

More concerned about injury history than age TBH.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Like this except for Samuel who is okay but I like this cap number better.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unless, if, maybe, perhaps. That’s what we should be building our hopes on? After drafting THREE Wr just 2 drafts ago tells you why we are in this predicament. If One of those Wr’s was a success we’d have $8m in cap space right now.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
except were not really adding that to our pass rush from last year because Reddick was a huge part of that success and Gardeck is currently on one leg.
Are you really saying that you don't expect to see an improved pass rush this year? If that is the case then this really will be a tough year for you. At least in next year's draft we should have about 9 or 10 picks. And b/t/w, if we go OL in the 1st round our OL could go from VG to great. Or if we go WR in the 2nd round our WR room will once again be a strength of the team. Granted CB will will be a problem, but it was this year as well. Mark me as excited. Of course as I approach my 84th birthday, I'm excited to just be reading and posting.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Never watched Bengals & heard a lot of hype about Burrow so found this interesting

What's bad in that tape is virtually every throw is so bad the Wr has no chance. if you're going to miss deep at least give the guy a chance, you might draw a PI flag

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you really saying that you don't expect to see an improved pass rush this year? If that is the case then this really will be a tough year for you. At least in next year's draft we should have about 9 or 10 picks. And b/t/w, if we go OL in the 1st round our OL could go from VG to great. Or if we go WR in the 2nd round our WR room will once again be a strength of the team. Granted CB will will be a problem, but it was this year as well. Mark me as excited. Of course as I approach my 84th birthday, I'm excited to just be reading and posting.
Lots of IF’S in your post. Remember when we drafted THREE WR’s two drafts ago? If Keim was even a little competent we wouldn’t be signing 33 year old Wr’s and spending $8m to strengthen the position. If we draft and o-lineman? Cole , Galliard, Jones non of which are starting?
Your theory works but you are saying if we draft well we should be good in a couple of years. However by then Jones will be gone as will Watts. Kyler will be on a veteran contract. Not to mention we saw this day coming with PP 21 and we did nothing to prepare for it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't mind the Green signing, but man I'd rather have has Curtis Samuel for $11.5m per. That's Fitz money. He's 24. Tonnes of upside.

In a year or 2 he will be WR1 quality.

Next year should be the year that the Cardinals really go after free agents.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lots of IF’S in your post. Remember when we drafted THREE WR’s two drafts ago? If Keim was even a little competent we wouldn’t be signing 33 year old Wr’s and spending $8m to strengthen the position. If we draft and o-lineman? Cole , Galliard, Jones non of which are starting?
Your theory works but you are saying if we draft well we should be good in a couple of years. However by then Jones will be gone as will Watts. Kyler will be on a veteran contract. Not to mention we saw this day coming with PP 21 and we did nothing to prepare for it.
Not many if's in my post, if you take out the ones dealing with our two top draft picks. I expect our both of our front sevens to be good THIS YEAR. I realize that as of now we have a problem at CB, but feel good about the rest of the team. You can never tell about injuries, with the argument being made that they cost the Chiefs, last year's SB. But, as I've said i'm EXCITED.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not many if's in my post, if you take out the ones dealing with our two top draft picks. I expect our both of our front sevens to be good THIS YEAR. I realize that as of now we have a problem at CB, but feel good about the rest of the team. You can never tell about injuries, with the argument being made that they cost the Chiefs, last year's SB. But, as I've said i'm EXCITED.
Injuries aside because I totally agree unless you reach and sign an often injured player and hope he stays healthy.
You post assumes if we draft a cb and succeeds, if we draft an O-lineman and he succeeds. Those if’s push success down the road. Everything we are hearing is we are “ all in” with a roster that has gotten older.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple observations.

1. Keim is feeling the heat and going with proven veterans. I think he will fail.
2. I think all of those routes we saw Hop run on the left side last year will be mirrored on the right side by Green. <-- Boring, easily schemed, unimaginative.
3. Expecting anything more than 60 receptions, 800 yards, and maybe 5 to 6 TD's is foolish IMO.
4. We have zero protections if this was a fluke season as some are arguing. He's gone or overpaid next year. <-- STUPID.
5. The Samuel contract is better than this one. I'm not saying he's a #1 WR, but he compliments DHop much better than a 33yr old AJ.

We still need a deep threat. This aint gonna cut it IMO.

I think you nailed it and Cardinals fans are along for the ride. Hope he doesn't leave the cupboard bare.