Cardinal Transformation

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Patrick Peterson will be 28 when pre season gets here. Generally the age of 30 is a dropoff point for corners much as it is with RBs. However history shows us that is not really the case with the elite corners. Looking at PP21's contract he is basically down to base salary for the next three seasons with almost zero dead money should he be let go. Obviously there is no reason to let him go but we do need to start looking for his replacement. Teams dont generally like to pay two guys elite money at a position. But I think due to the lack of guarantees in PP21's contract we could probably extend him a few years and save money by adding in bonus. currently he is scheduled for $11mil, $11mil, and $12mil over the next three seasons with no more bonus money coming. This locks him up through thirty. IMO, we should try to add three years at about $30mil,... keep his current salary structure and add the three years with salaries around $5mil per and spread out the $15mil bonus over the five years. This would increase his cap hit the next couple years by about $3mil... but he is still in his prime and top corners are getting $14-$15mil anyway... the benefit to us is we have him extended past 2020 at a reasonable cost of about $8mil per season. This helps us because somewhere in there we are going to have to pay his replacement $15mil a year... by extending him now we dont risk having to let him go later.... Then we have to find his replacement...which takes us to the NFL draft.

Round 1

pick 15. Josh Jackson...CB...Iowa..... Jackson is a Keim Pick. He is a fantastic athlete, he put up great production,... but he has only been a corner for three years. He started college as a WR. Considering our new HC's forte is developing DB's this pick makes perfect sense.. Jackson is big, strong, aggressive...and he has phenomenal ball skills.

Round 2

Pick 35 (frome Cleve for picks 182, 254, and 2019 2nd and fourth)
Leighton Van Der Esch MLB Boise State....... If we are gonna run a 4-3 we need a MLB and this is the best one in the draft. He is big, he is quick, and he makes plays all day long. This pick gets Wilks all gooey because it gives him his Keuchly type playmaker in the middle.

pick 47 E.Q. St. Brown....WR..... Notre Dame.... Larry is getting old and EQ is fully capable of being the next big thing in the desert at WR. Dont let the numbers fool you,..he was working without a QB at ND... St. Brown is big, he is fast, runs great routes...and has hands as soft as a babies ass... This guy is a steal in the second round.

Round 3

Pick 79. Frank Ragnow.....C.....Arkansas...... Ragnow is the big nasty bulldozer center we have need in the desert for the past decade..... he never allowed a single sack in college...let that sink in a minute,... then compare it to what we have had... not a single sack.... oh yeah, and he can run block too

Pick 97. Kevin Tolliver II....CB....LSU..... Tolliver is a solid first round talent who suffers from some attitude problems but arizona might just be the perfect place for him to realize his potential. First, the afore mentioned coach who is supposed to be a DB whisperer...secondly, PP21 is still a legend in Tigerland and playing here with him may motivate the kid to start listening.... if it works, he and Jackson can be a top tandem for years

Round 4

Pick 134. Dalton Schultz....TE....Stanford.... Schultz is a big smooth TE who can do it all... he blocks well and catches well... he can be our Greg Olsen, Jason Witten guy who rarely ever leaves the field

Round 5

Pick 152. Nyheim Hines....RB.....N.C. State...... Hines is a bit of a scat back but his strength is his abrupt and sudden route running combined with soft hands. He can be a third down back to give DJ a breather as well as a threat split wide on early downs... he is fast at 4.38 and also has experience in the return game.

I wanted to get an OT but the addition of Schultz made a tackle less important. I also wanted a DT but talent for talent there just was not enough value to go with a DT at any of these picks.

I think a draft like this can go a long way in securing our team for the future on both sides of the ball. I realize lots of people have Van Der Esch going in the first but if five QB's go in the first somebody has to slide, and MLB is not as premium as CB or OT...so it is more likely he slides than say, Mike Hughes or Connor Williams, or Christian Kirk.
It may take a bit of luck for Schultz to be there at that pick but if he isnt there, Smythe will be....and they are very similar players with Schultz just being slightly more polished.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
With all due respect, saying someone is a "Keim pick" doesn't inspire confidence given Keim's draft track record.

I agree, lol...especially in the first round. But he seams to like guys with athleticism and limited experience at their position. In this case Jackson has already shown he is the real deal at corner.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, lol...especially in the first round. But he seams to like guys with athleticism and limited experience at their position. In this case Jackson has already shown he is the real deal at corner.
I like Jackson but Keim has made a science at reaching for players in the first round. Hell, in his first 2 drafts, only Buc is left and even his future is uncertain.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
oaken1, I love your QB-less draft. We come away with (fingers crossed) a CB2 and a MLB, and live to fight another year and then select our QBOTF. My take, Bradford plays great and the team does well. Or Bradford doesn't play well and next year we'll have a top three pick.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
St Brown was profiled by PFW as an underachieving WR with a big upside. Interesting...but Buyer Beware.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great job. Lots of thought went into your draft. You made reasonable choices for each round and took into account both the GM and the HC and selected players they may go after. And you didn't trade the farm and dairy cow for a QB.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Your draft was very adept with its selections. Hope that the real one can go that smoothly.

I just will be so grateful if Austin Allen never sees a Cardinal uniform. I was watching a highlight film for a receiver from Ball St. I forget his name but he intrigues me. 6'2 and 200 pounds. Runs sub4.4 and had some serious numbers for yards and tds. Would like to see him get a look by the cards.

I am grateful that I got to see the Cards in the Super Bowl and the Cubs win the World Series. I may never see that again.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Great job. Lots of thought went into your draft. You made reasonable choices for each round and took into account both the GM and the HC and selected players they may go after. And you didn't trade the farm and dairy cow for a QB.

honestly, if we cant get one of the top QB's there is no point in drafting one this year.... we have holes to fill and every player in my draft can contribute this year

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
St Brown was profiled by PFW as an underachieving WR with a big upside. Interesting...but Buyer Beware.
he under acheived because he has no QB throwing to him.... he put up double his 2017 stats last season when he had Kizer throwing to him.
The kid will be fine, a solid player....just so long as he has a QB who can get him the ball.

it is worth noting... the kid was raised with a commitment to excellence. He and his brothers were raised speaking three languages. Their dad is two time Mr. Universe, John St. Brown...one of the few guys to beat Arnold for Mr Universe.

he has a brother at stanford and another who will start USC next year..all play football...WR's.... these kids work hard, they are smart, and they expect to succeed..

he will not fail in the NFL

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Jackson but Keim has made a science at reaching for players in the first round. Hell, in his first 2 drafts, only Buc is left and even his future is uncertain.

That's not true at all. Hindsight is 20/20 Cooper was like highest rated guard to come out in like 20 years. He was looked at like Nelson is in this draft the safest pick to make. 5 of the first 10 in that draft were O lineman

Bucannon was a great pick to make now don't blame him for BA making him gain 20lbs and play MLB. To me that was just stupid.

Nkimdeche and Hump were at the back of the first round and both were swing for the fences picks and I have no problem with that at the back of the first round.

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
Very good projections. I would only have 2 changes.

1. #15 I take Jaire Alexander, the best CB in the draft, has exceptional speed with the long speed that Jackson doesn't, extremely physical, instinctive with the mentality of a number 1 CB.

2. #152 I prefer to continuing to build the Offensive Line, where it all starts. The pick Brandon Parker OT, NC A&T. Has the feet to play LT and thrives at Pass Pro, has heavy hands with long arms and is a very good athlete. With the NFL coaching of Ray Brown this cold become a steal in the draft.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he under acheived because he has no QB throwing to him.... he put up double his 2017 stats last season when he had Kizer throwing to him.
The kid will be fine, a solid player....just so long as he has a QB who can get him the ball.

it is worth noting... the kid was raised with a commitment to excellence. He and his brothers were raised speaking three languages. Their dad is two time Mr. Universe, John St. Brown...one of the few guys to beat Arnold for Mr Universe.

he has a brother at stanford and another who will start USC next year..all play football...WR's.... these kids work hard, they are smart, and they expect to succeed..

he will not fail in the NFL
The underperforming comment had more to do with lackadaisical attitude toward blocking and other physical aspects of play.

His PFW, Lindy's and Athlon write-ups caught my eye, but PFW's mention of indifferent attitude toward physical play raised a lttle red flag.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The underperforming comment had more to do with lackadaisical attitude toward blocking and other physical aspects of play.

His PFW, Lindy's and Athlon write-ups caught my eye, but PFW's mention of indifferent attitude toward physical play raised a lttle red flag.

okay, gotcha...I havent seen that.... in any case, maybe working with the best blocking WR in the game can help change that if its true?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard