Captain America: The Winter Soldier

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I had read somewhere that one of the credit sequences was supposed to lead into Guardians of the Galaxy, but I didn't see it. It certainly set up the Avengers, though. In a lot of ways, Captain America 2 was Avengers 1.5.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
man...if they even tried to trot out that rationale, it would be a stretch of armstrong proportions, considering he just saved the world with those guys...and Stark never really seemed to trust SHIELD...and hell, neither did any of the others except Widow for that matter.

the reality is that it's just a ginormous plot hole...one that's too big to really even discuss/dissect.

still loved the crap out of the movie though.

...Unless your name is Patton Oswalt. I'm sure he knows the reason. He knows all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUrw7j0UA4

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoilerish stuff to follow:

Yeah, so the big issue in this movie involves a helicarrier, literally a flying fortress. Which Avenger is least equipped to take that on? Hawkeye and Hulk already did their part to trash one in the Avengers. Ironman and Thor could at least fly to get up there.

Instead, let's give this mission to Cap and Black Widow, because their non-flying skill sets totally make them the ideal heroes to take on this flying menace.

I guess the whole "who can you trust" plot devise could explain away why Cap didn't reach out to his other super buddies? I guess??? Maybe???

My weirdo brother in law said there was no time to decide who dealt with the helio whatever. He also said "iron man wasn't in the movie."

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Awesome.

Best Marvel film since the first Iron Man.

There is a Captain America billboard on the 405 that I see everyday on my way to work, and it's a pic of the guy in his rediculous leather suit and he's got a strange little action grimace on his face under that goofy headgear. That billboard totally gives me the creeps. Glad to know the movie is good though.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok just got back....

This movie freaking rocked. Best super hero movie bar none and best comic book movie!

The action was beyond stellar, funny and great characters! The Winter Soldier was just freaking awesome! Cannot wait for #3 already.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved it too, but I give the Avengers the edge.

i was really bored the first 30 minutes of the Avengers...and the end was just too much of a big, faceless, let's destroy an entire city Tranformers-esque battle scene. It had it's moments (the Hulk smashing Loki and the Hulk punching Thor), but otherwise, it's ending was entertaining, but didn't really raise the bar.

and that's not to say The Avengers wasn't really good. It was and it absolutely NAILED the Hulk, which was awesome, but as a movie on the whole, I prefer Cap 2.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I had read somewhere that one of the credit sequences was supposed to lead into Guardians of the Galaxy, but I didn't see it. It certainly set up the Avengers, though. In a lot of ways, Captain America 2 was Avengers 1.5.

The post credits scene in Thor 2 leads into Guardians of the Galaxy. It had the Collector who is in GotG and was directed by James Gunn, the director of the movie.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved it too, but I give the Avengers the edge.

100% agree. Avengers was the better film but this was close. I admit they are hard to compare though simply because the films had two completely different feels to them.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The post credits scene in Thor 2 leads into Guardians of the Galaxy. It had the Collector who is in GotG and was directed by James Gunn, the director of the movie.

I remember that one. I thought there was going to be another lead in. Guess I was wrong.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember that one. I thought there was going to be another lead in. Guess I was wrong.

The two characters in the stinger will be prominent in the Avengers Age of Ultron which is the next film after Guardians of the Galaxy.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok just got back....

This movie freaking rocked. Best super hero movie bar none and best comic book movie!

The action was beyond stellar, funny and great characters! The Winter Soldier was just freaking awesome! Cannot wait for #3 already.

Here's a surprise....

DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO!!!! Friggin' awesome! C'mon #3!!!!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved this movie. I put it slightly over the Avengers.

Went to AMC for the first time in a while and can't say enough about those reclining chairs. Great experience.

My wife hated Harkins seating and I didn't mind it but the sound was often too shrill on the high end and too boomy down low for my taste. None of those issues at AMC. Highly recommended.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved this movie. I put it slightly over the Avengers.

Went to AMC for the first time in a while and can't say enough about those reclining chairs. Great experience.

My wife hated Harkins seating and I didn't mind it but the sound was often too shrill on the high end and too boomy down low for my taste. None of those issues at AMC. Highly recommended.

AMC was my favorite theater growing up. I guess reclining chairs are cool but that is a minor thing for me. I had not been to AMC since the first Captain America and it has been longer for the family. We decided to give it a go for a change.

What a mistake. The prices are outrageous at AMC. I have no problem with paying a bit more if the theater is better but it's simply not. AMC didn't offer anything over the Harkins theater except maybe slightly larger screen size. I didn't see any difference in sound quality either.

I had sticker shock. Taking my family to the movies costs us around $30 to $40 for a day at the movies depending on if it's 3D. AMC? $85 dollars. Massive difference. Also, they try and justify the ridiculous concessions by making a small drink the size of an extra large. My kids don't need that size.

Seriously, hugely disappointed in AMC Theaters. Not the chain I remember growing up. It's seems it's all about price gouging. I won't be going back anytime soon.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AMC was my favorite theater growing up. I guess reclining chairs are cool but that is a minor thing for me. I had not been to AMC since the first Captain America and it has been longer for the family. We decided to give it a go for a change.

What a mistake. The prices are outrageous at AMC. I have no problem with paying a bit more if the theater is better but it's simply not. AMC didn't offer anything over the Harkins theater except maybe slightly larger screen size. I didn't see any difference in sound quality either.

I had sticker shock. Taking my family to the movies costs us around $30 to $40 for a day at the movies depending on if it's 3D. AMC? $85 dollars. Massive difference. Also, they try and justify the ridiculous concessions by making a small drink the size of an extra large. My kids don't need that size.

Seriously, hugely disappointed in AMC Theaters. Not the chain I remember growing up. It's seems it's all about price gouging. I won't be going back anytime soon.

Wow, two very opposite experiences!

I will note that the theater in question was the Arrowhead Mall location at a matinee.

My wife and I rarely go out to the theater and typically find much more pleasure watching Blu-rays on our home theater.

No kids for us, but I can see how that would be a huge factor for you when it comes to price for food and tickets.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
AMC Esplanade (by the Biltmore) is amazing. Dine-In Theater. Reclining seats. Great sound. Don't know about other locations, but it is my favorite in the Valley. We drive 25 minutes to get there sometimes, just because it is a superior experience.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Arrowhead location is supposed to get their liquor license soon if rumors are true. :D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am looking for a dinner experience with my movie, I fully expect to pay a premium and have no problem with that. They are building a new theater by me and I plan on taking the wife out just for that experience.

My commentary was more around the average movie going experience. To me the price to value ratio is way out of whack when I can take the family out for 30 to 40 bucks at a nice Harkins theater and for the equivalent experience spend $85 dollars at an AMC.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am looking for a dinner experience with my movie, I fully expect to pay a premium and have no problem with that. They are building a new theater by me and I plan on taking the wife out just for that experience.

My commentary was more around the average movie going experience. To me the price to value ratio is way out of whack when I can take the family out for 30 to 40 bucks at a nice Harkins theater and for the equivalent experience spend $85 dollars at an AMC.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I was thinking about it last night and it occurred to me that part of the reason we enjoyed it so much was due to no screaming kids around. ;) I will gladly pay a premium for that! (I'm sure your kids are angels :) )And like I was saying, it is a fairly rare event for us so it's not a regular expense.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

I get that for sure.

The thing I love most about dinner/movie places is the reserved seating. No rushing to crowded blockbusters necessary. You can leisurely stroll in as the opening credits are about to roll and find your spot. That, and the space between seats means you won't feel squeezed in.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a chain in Portland called Cinetopia. We love it there and we can get cheap ticket packages at Costo. There have a few styles of theaters in each lcoation depending on the type of movie. The kids movies are always in what they call the
'Movie Parlor" and costs us about $30 to get in for three of us with teh Costo deal and we get a popcorn and drink with that. Then we order dinner along with that and can get out for about $50. We love it because the three of us get to sit on a comfy Love Seat.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
There is a chain in Portland called Cinetopia. We love it there and we can get cheap ticket packages at Costo. There have a few styles of theaters in each lcoation depending on the type of movie. The kids movies are always in what they call the
'Movie Parlor" and costs us about $30 to get in for three of us with teh Costo deal and we get a popcorn and drink with that. Then we order dinner along with that and can get out for about $50. We love it because the three of us get to sit on a comfy Love Seat.

I know AMC has similar Costco deals but I've never looked to see how good it is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn