Can anyone explain Critcket?

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
I understand that it is the most widely played sport in the world after soccer/football, but I cannot understand the game...

Can someone explain?

What is a critket? A wicket? Any why do the games have to last forever and a day (only to end in a score like 452 to 15)?>??

THANKS GUYS...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No. The game defies explanation. Friends and I, while stationed in Europe, would often take an afternoon at some pub and force ourselves to try and learn. No dice. Any game that can be played for days is absolutely insane.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
These guys I grew up with were from Scottish and we used to play it.

Lets see what do I remember.

A wicket is the sticks they put where the catcher should be. The pitcher guy trys to bounce the ball passed the batter guy and knock down the sticks. The batter guy tries to hit the ball.

If you hit it you only run to the pitcher's area and back to "home". I remember not having foul lines.

Thats all I remember.

It sucks when compared to Baseball. :D

"Alright we tried your stupid ass Cricket. Lets play some Baseball now!"

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think the reason it lasts so long is it is easy to get a hit and hard to get an out. You can hit the ball behind you and still run.

A baseball game could go on days if the score was tied at the end of every inning. Or if one team could never get 3 outs.

I think innings last forever in Cricket cause you can never get anyone out.

OP
OP
SouthNZoneFan

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
These guys I grew up with were from Scottish and we used to play it.

Lets see what do I remember.

A wicket is the sticks they put where the catcher should be. The pitcher guy trys to bounce the ball passed the batter guy and knock down the sticks. The batter guy tries to hit the ball.

If you hit it you only run to the pitcher's area and back to "home". I remember not having foul lines.

Thats all I remember.

It sucks when compared to Baseball. :D

"Alright we tried your stupid ass Cricket. Lets play some Baseball now!"

Okay, good explanation but we are still missing about 98% of the game... I gotta understand this thing. Otherwise I will make fun of it and get my arse kicked......

OP
OP
SouthNZoneFan

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Another question. If this IS the MOST POPULAR sport played (as said by an AUSSIE) around the world, why aren't the players sallaries anyplace close to being sufficient to support them.

One player on the South African team couldn't make it due to work obligations?

SOmeone told me that around special game times they get sponsored so they don't have to work but I still don't get it...

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
SouthNZoneFan said:
Another question. If this IS the MOST POPULAR sport played (as said by an AUSSIE) around the world, why aren't the players sallaries anyplace close to being sufficient to support them.
Cricket is very popular in England, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, India and the West Indies, but to say it is the most popular sport around the world is a gross exaggeration. Soccer is BY FAR the world's most popular game.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I really only follow cricket in India, but a good portion of those players appear in manycommercials with countless other contracts and are pretty much superstars in India, so I doubt they any of them are struggling for money.

There are something like 9 or 11 players on a team, and a good portion should be able to bowl.

Batting: The field is a large circle, with the pitch in the very middle. You can hit the ball anywhere. If you hit the ball, you can run to earn points, but you arent forced to (if you dont hit it far). If the ball rolls past the boundry you get 4 points, if it flies over, you get 6. A great batter (Sachin Tendulkar) can get a century (100 runs) which is very impressive. If you get a hit, you and the person opposite you run back and forth, switching spots.

Bowling: You pitch it from above your head with a form of top spin, and it hits the ground and bounces up to the batter. You can put all types of spins on the ball. The aim is to hit any of the 3 wickets behind the batter, or make the batter pop-up.

There are two types of matches test matches, and one day-ers.

One Day:

Both get (I think) 45 overs (16 bowls per over?) or all out (whichever comes first), and have to get as many runs as possible. Thus when batting, you "swing for the fences" and try to hit it outside the ring.

Test:

It lasts 3 days or all out (whichever comes first), I dont exactly what the specifications are for having both teams bat. Because there is more time batters are more patient while batting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SouthNZoneFan

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
I really only follow cricket in India, but a good portion of those players appear in manycommercials with countless other contracts and are pretty much superstars in India, so I doubt they any of them are struggling for money.

Okay - So I spoke with a few people at the pub about this one... It seems that most players make their money from their endorsements and not that much on their contracts... And because they have so many people on each team their sports sallaries aren't that high...

Also, I don't know if this holds water, but the same few ''drunks'' state that India and Pakistan have a lot of people in their countries and they play cricket more than soccer. Because they have the most people and their children play it, they consider it the world's most played sport... I disagree with them but they say that it is true... :trout:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
SouthNZoneFan said:
Also, I don't know if this holds water, but the same few ''drunks'' state that India and Pakistan have a lot of people in their countries and they play cricket more than soccer. Because they have the most people and their children play it, they consider it the world's most played sport... I disagree with them but they say that it is true... :trout:

Cricket is the major sport in India and Pakistan (BTW, there is a series right now, Tendulkar hit for 126).

I dont know if the population of India and Pakistan (that follows cricket - I dont know if the poor follow cricket) is enough to offset South America, and some other areas.

OP
OP
SouthNZoneFan

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
So, I got the chance to actually play this a little bit and it makes a little more since....

But the fact that every place is in play is really strange. And the fact that it lasts so long...

THanks for the help..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison