Campbell's Contract Details & Cap Hits

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1186605&nid=6153441&fhn=1
Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Calais Campbell's newly-minted $55 million contract included a $15 million signing bonus, a $10 million option bonus and $31 million in total guaranteed money, according to a league source with knowledge of the deal.

He's due to make $36 million in the first three years.

Campbell's $2 million base salary this year is fully guaranteed for skill, injury and cap.

His base salary of $3 milion in 2013 is fully guaranteed if the $10 million option is exercised.

His base salary is $5.5 million in 2014, $1 million of which is guaranteed.

Campbell's base salary rises to a non-guaranteed $9 million in 2015 and $9.5 million in 2016.

Starting in 2013, the contract includes annual $250,000 workout bonuses.

Cap Hit:
2012-$5 million
2013-$8.75 million
2014-$11.25 million
2015-$14.75 million
2016-$15.24 million

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Ok he's making 31 million in first 3 years according to everything read. Yet cap hit for last two years equates to a total of 30 million. Total after 5 years based on that would be 61 million. Yet it's listed as 55 million contract. What gives?

He will get cash payments of $31mm in the first three years. Of those cash payments, they will be recognized ratably for salary cap purposes over the full life of the contract.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Ok he's making 31 million in first 3 years according to everything read. Yet cap hit for last two years equates to a total of 30 million. Total after 5 years based on that would be 61 million. Yet it's listed as 55 million contract. What gives?

I'm no expert on this, but the amount he physically gets paid in a given year is different than his cap hit that year due to the allocation of bonus money over the life of the contract. In the first two years, he gets $25 mil in bonus money and $5 mil in salary. So, he gets paid $30M from the team, but the $25M in bonus money is allocated over the life of the contract for cap purposes. So, in the last two years, he only actually gets paid $14.5M in cash by the team, but he has a much higher cap hit due to all of that bonus money that was paid to him years earlier. His total cap hit over the life of the contract is ~$55M, which matches the amount he will be paid.

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We all know the only guaranteed money is the signing bonus and his first year salary their not going to cut a player just signed to a big contract in his first year. He has roster bonuses just like Kevin Kolb that they count as guaranteed money. If he's worth that he will get it if he's not the wont.

The important part if this information is correct is he went from around 10.6 million dollar cap hit to around 5 million in 2012. We needed the money they got the deal done and now we can sign our rookies and are doing so. I've been hating on Graves for years I guess I'm going to have to swallow some pride and give the man some credit this is working out well this season.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all know the only guaranteed money is the signing bonus and his first year salary their not going to cut a player just signed to a big contract in his first year. He has roster bonuses just like Kevin Kolb that they count as guaranteed money. It he's worth that he will get it if he's not the wont.

The important part if this information is correct is he went from around 10.6 million dollar cap hit to around 5 million in 2012. We needed the money they got the deal done and now we can sign our rookies and are doing so. I've been hating on Graves for years I guess I'm going to have to swallow some pride and give the man some credit this is working out well this season.

Per Urban that money was not needed to sign the rookies FYI

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Per Urban that money was not needed to sign the rookies FYI

My main point was to give Rod Graves some credit I certainly haven't done much of that in the past. Anyways we may have had room to sign the rookies but they sure weren't doing it until after Campbell signed. Darren urban also wrote an article how they like to have about a $2 or $3 million cushion just in case they have an injury or need to bring in a free-agent. Any way you look at it I have to give Rod Graves some credit we now have the money and are signing rookies and could still sign a depth signing free-agent player.

10.6 mill down to 5 mill is a good job that's plus 5.6 mill for this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/cap-hit/

Cap numbers each year if all paid 2012 to 2016.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/calais-campbell/

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Urban's rough calculation after CC signing was $8M under the CAP. Enough to sign the draft class; Haggans / Holiday to 1-year deals - and still have a cushion.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

That article is assinine. To say that only $17M is guaranteed, and that the Cards could walk away after one year is just another writer trying to get attention. Why would the Cardinals rip up a $10.7M tender, pay him $17M, and cut him after paying him an EXTRA $6.3M. Barring someting VERY unforeseen, he will get the $10 Option Bonus early in 2013, which then guarantees his $3M Salary for the 2013 season, plus guarantees another $1M in 2014.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
From the looks of it, it's almost a three year deal. After the third season, Calais better be putting up huge numbers or the deal is cost prohibitive.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
From the looks of it, it's almost a three year deal. After the third season, Calais better be putting up huge numbers or the deal is cost prohibitive.

Not really. Don't get confused by the cap hits of 14 and 15 M. His actual salary those years is about 9M, which is less than he would have made this year on the franchise deal. The extra cap hit is for the prorated signing and roster bonus. If we waive him those last 2 years, we will be on the hook for 4.5M per year in dead cap money.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not really. Don't get confused by the cap hits of 14 and 15 M. His actual salary those years is about 9M, which is less than he would have made this year on the franchise deal. The extra cap hit is for the prorated signing and roster bonus. If we waive him those last 2 years, we will be on the hook for 4.5M per year in dead cap money.

:)

Poor reading comprehension on my part.

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Urban's rough calculation after CC signing was $8M under the CAP. Enough to sign the draft class; Haggans / Holiday to 1-year deals - and still have a cushion.

You must mean after Campbell signed the team was around 8 million under? His franchise tag was 10.6 million which all accounted against the cap. Now he has a cap number of 5 million. That's 5.6 million more cap money than what we had before they signed him to a new contract.

The talking heads have to stop counting roster bonuses as guaranteed money. They need to stick really to the first year of the deal and signing bonus the rest of it is an unknown.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must mean after Campbell signed the team was around 8 million under? His franchise tag was 10.6 million which all accounted against the cap. Now he has a cap number of 5 million. That's 5.6 million more cap money than what we had before they signed him to a new contract.

The talking heads have to stop counting roster bonuses as guaranteed money. They need to stick really to the first year of the deal and signing bonus the rest of it is an unknown.

What I said: The $5.6M - plus the existing CAP room prior - totals about $8M, according to Urban's rough calculation.

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What I said: The $5.6M - plus the existing CAP room prior - totals about $8M, according to Urban's rough calculation.

Not a big deal, I was just clearing it up. But you didn't say anything about the 5.6 million use said....

That really didn't break anything up and it's probably just me but it just left room to make a person wonder if you are referring to us saving 8 million alone by signing Campbell.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn