Byrnes done for the season. D'backs considering Barry Bonds?

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
What? You don't want baseball's all-time home run KING? :biglaugh:

Kendrick was so suspicious of Gonzo, he shouldn't want to have anything to do with Bonds. Nobody does.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Wow.....Bonds in Sedona Red?? I'll be honest Im torn.

On one hand, he is the Home Run King (*) and can help with our offensive woes. He will hit a lot of home runs and draw a lot of walks.

Now, on the other hand, he can be a clubhouse cancer, stunt the growth of the youth of the franchise, could cost a lot of money, and be a defensive liability in left field. Not to mention that the D-Backs will get way too much national media coverage.

Now Mr. Josh Byrnes, are you that desperate for offense at that cost?????

CardinalsFan11

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd love for the Dbacks to sign Bonds.

Last season the guy hit 28 hrs, had a OBP of .480, an SLG% .565 and an OPS of 1.045. He'd instantly improve our struggling offense and could give teach the youngsters a thing or two about hitting in the process.

Obviously the things you have to worry about with Bonds are the circus he'll bring to the clubhouse and his liability in the field. I think the clubhouse stuff will be much more subdued than it was in SF. In SF he was the top dog, and as such he felt as though that's how he should be treated. But coming to a new team 1/2 way through the season, after no one would give him a look, I think he'd be much more likely to be just another guy in the clubhouse. Plus with guys like Johnson, Webb, and O-Dog around I think he'd keep a low profile.

As for defensive liability, he can't be that much worse than sticking CoJack back there and hoping he doesn't mess up. Plus, with the ground that CY is able to cover in centerfield, I think we can hide Barry defensively more than he was in SF

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Is Bonds far better than any of our current left field options? Yes. If we stick him in the middle of our lineup it will make everyone else better as well. It is worth the risk, our offense currently will not take us deep in the playoffs.

AZZenny

Reaction score
heh heh. I personally would not go to a game again if he's on the team, but he'd eat BoMel alive.

He'd be pretty desperate to come here. We're the fans that booed him after his father died. :mrgreen:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If anybody is gonna take him it would make so much more sense with an AL team.

just do it

Registered
Reaction score
Ive been to a few games this year, early when they were fun to watch. However I am much more likely to go with Bonds in LF. He is a Devil and the haters are crap if they think he is the "only one" that roided up the last 10-15 years.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Ive been to a few games this year, early when they were fun to watch. However I am much more likely to go with Bonds in LF. He is a Devil and the haters are crap if they think he is the "only one" that roided up the last 10-15 years.

Its not just the roids. The guy is one of the most arrogant, irritating, self absorbed aholes ever to play the game.

just do it

Registered
Reaction score
Its not just the roids. The guy is one of the most arrogant, irritating, self absorbed aholes ever to play the game.

well you might as well say that about 75% of ball players and at least 1/2 of all athletes in general. Everyone has a hard on for Bonds because he broke records. Before, during and after roids he was/is a top 5 player of all time. Media can spin perception any way they want, just look how the liberal media spins and report things the way they would like them in politics.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Bonds sucks as a human being, but he does make us better. If we didn't have all of the other elements in place to win a title I wouldn't support bringing him in - but the truth is that we do. Besides we already have the second biggest "hole" in baseball with the Unit, so why not Bonds?

For the record I think we bring in Lofton because he'll cost us next to nothing in terms of money and prospects. Trading for a rent-a-scrub isn't appealing to me.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I think Bonds would be the best option available. Right now this team has little veteran leadership. Maybe it's a stretch to think Bonds can be a "leader" let alone a postitive clubhouse influence but as it's been said before, it may be worth the risk.

Bonds isn't a great fielder in LF, but neither was Byrnes and neither is Jackson. If we got a decent offer I think trading Tracy is our best option. But a team with him and Bonds would also work.

Just thoughts of this lineup make me want to buy some tickets.

1) Hudson
2) Drew
3) Young
4) Bonds
5) Jackson
6) Reynolds
7) Upton
8) Snyder

Switch out Chad between 1st/3rd/RF. Those are all positions he's played and just let him know that he will be the utility guy.

Bonds may not hit 50+ homers ever again, but he would strike fear into some opposing pitchers and allow our other guys to get some good pitches. When have we actually had a superstar hitter (besides Gonzo, who I'm not sure I'd consider him a stud)?

Without him, we don't go deep in the playoffs. With him, there's surely a possibility.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The people saying they wouldn't go to games if the Dbacks signed Bonds need to get over themselves. He didn't do anything that 9 out of 10 Big Leaguers in the 90s did. Get over it. He did steroids, he didn't drown kittens.

I'd love to have his bat here, but I really don't think he can play in the field anymore. It would make sense for an AL team to pick him up as a DH, but I don't know if he can take the wear and tear of fielding everyday.

The whole sign Eric Byrnes, let Carlos Quentin go deal is looking pretty horrid at this point. Its going to look even worse when the Snakes can't resign Hudson because they gave Byrnes his money. I think Josh Byrnes has done a terrific job in general (I'd give him a B+), but this series of moves may turn out to be a huge blunder.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
No way will we sign him. As previously stated, if you see him play at all, it will be in the AL. IMHO I don't want to see him in Sedona Red, ever!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might buy more dBack tickets if he were here. I never got to see him live. Would love to have the opportunity. I guess I'll be going by myself?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might buy more dBack tickets if he were here. I never got to see him live. Would love to have the opportunity. I guess I'll be going by myself?
I would go. :) I saw him live a bunch of times. Some as a Giant's fan (pre-Dbacks) and some as a Dback fan.

Until, they ban him, why not?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go. :) I saw him live a bunch of times. Some as a Giant's fan (pre-Dbacks) and some as a Dback fan.

Until, they ban him, why not?

I don't understand why Bonds is so hated, and Luis Gonzales for the most part gets a free pass.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why Bonds is so hated, and Luis Gonzales for the most part gets a free pass.
bonds is more of a jerk, I guess. Bonds' "growth" is a bit more obvious, I guess. I have changed positions on this.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If everyone truly hated every player that used roids there wouldn't be many players to cheer for. Pettite and Giambi are adored in NY. I think the main reason why people hate Bonds is that he's an ass, but as a player he's no different than thousands of other roiders.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If everyone truly hated every player that used roids there wouldn't be many players to cheer for. Pettite and Giambi are adored in NY. I think the main reason why people hate Bonds is that he's an ass, but as a player he's much better than thousands of other roiders.

FTFY

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard