Bye Bye Tucson

HooverDam

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2009/06/19/20090619spt-dbackstucson.html

D-Backs tell Tucson they're leaving after 2010
5 comments Jun. 19, 2009 04:46 PM
Associated Press
PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks have told Tucson and Pima County officials that they will move their spring training base out of Tucson Electric Park after 2010.

The move came after the Colorado Rockies notified the city and county that they would move from Hi Corbett Field, leaving the Diamondbacks as the only major league team in Tucson.

The Diamondbacks, who have wintered in Tucson since their inception in 1998, have been searching for a new spring training site in the Phoenix area.

The Arizona Daily Star obtained copies of the notices from the clubs to local officials.

"This decision comes with mixed emotions, as we obviously have a deep history with and genuine fondness for Tucson," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said in a statement. "With the current environment of spring training in Southern Arizona having led to the Colorado Rockies' recent and formal decision to relocate, we find ourselves in the undesirable position as the only MLB team operating there beyond 2010."

Yep its official. This is good news for the Cactus league and the Valley in my estimation. The thing that makes the Cactus league so popular with the players and fans is the short travel times between all the games, having to make a 4 hour round trip to Tucson cuts against that.

I hope the D'backs go forward with the reported plans of a stadium near Indian Bend Rd on the Salt River-Pima reservation, it seems like a really good location since the NE Valley currently has no Spring Training sites.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Giants?

You consider Old Town Scottsdale to be NORTHeast? Id say its fairly Central in regards to its longitudinal location in the Valley. Look at a map of the Cactus League facilities here. Theres certainly a lack in the NE Valley considering its got a lot of people and its a very affluent area. Even the Indian Bend site isn't all that far North, but I think itll still draw a lot of people from the N Scottsdale, Desert Ridge, Cave Creek and Carefree area.

I really hope eventually the Cactus League can lure the remaining teams that are west of the Mississippi (Cards, Twins, Astros). You'd likely get at least 2 new stadiums with them coming in, and it would probably make sense to put them in the SE Valley. Maybe one out where the new Gaylord Resort is going (on the ole proving grounds site, near ASU Poly) and another could go in Chandler, the QC, or maybe even in the Wild Horse Pass area near Ahwatukee.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2009/07/16/20090716springtraining0717.html

Salt River tribe chosen for new D-backs spring training site
20 comments by Peter Corbett - Jul. 16, 2009 10:50 AM
The Arizona Republic
The Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community announced today that it will build a stadium and spring training complex for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies at Loop 101 and Indian Bend Road.

The 11,000-seat stadium and 12 practice fields, with an estimated price tag of $100 million, will occupy a 140-acre site on the Indian community east of Scottsdale.

Tribal officials say they believe it will be the first Major League Baseball facility built on an Indian community.

“This multipurpose facility is an ideal match for the vision of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community as we develop land along our western commercial corridor,” said Diane Enos, tribal president. The spring training complex, which will allow the Diamondbacks and Rockies to leave their Tucson training sites, is to be ready for the 2011 Cactus League season.

The teams and Salt River have signed a memorandum of understanding on the spring training complex.

“We are certainly excited that we have come to an agreement on our future spring training home with a wonderful community,” Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall said.

Salt River will fund, build and operate the baseball complex. The two teams and Salt River officials are planning a news conference next week to explain other details of their plans.

HKS Architects, which designed the Camelback Ranch stadium for the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox, will design the stadium at Salt River.

The Diamondbacks and Rockies are the last two teams playing in Tucson. They are scheduled to play there for one more Cactus League season.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
sounds like a nice site - camelback ranch is a very attractive site, i imagine the tribe is going to want to make a big splash with this one as well

creates a nice corridor of spring training

Borderrat

Veteran
Reaction score
"With most Cactus League teams in the Phoenix area, the Diamondbacks and Rockies said it was inconvenient to travel to road games. The Diamondbacks also wanted to be closer to their fan base."

I guess the Dbacks do not consider anyone from Tucson part of their fan base. While I only go to a few games a year (from Tucson) I will not be attending any in the future. I hope the rest of the Tucson people do the same. Pretty stupid statement to make when your average attendance is down 5,000 per game.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I guess the Dbacks do not consider anyone from Tucson part of their fan base. While I only go to a few games a year (from Tucson) I will not be attending any in the future. I hope the rest of the Tucson people do the same. Pretty stupid statement to make when your average attendance is down 5,000 per game.

Well the majority of the fan base is Phoenix which Im sure you'd acknowledge. Why should they stay in Tucson with just one other team, that puts them at a disadvantage. Furthermore all the players hate being in Tucson, and the fan support for all non UA sports has been historically poor in Tucson. The D'backs tried to do everything they could to include the entire state, naming the team "Arizona", putting the AAA team in Tucson, Spring Training in Tucson, etc. It just didn't work out and it makes business sense to bring it up to Phx as the main advantage of the Cactus League over the Grapefruit is proximity to other teams.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Which will be more than made up for with the additional revenue streams when the DBacks play spring training in a part of a city that people actually want to go. The City of Tucson brought this on themselves when they built that stadium in the middle of nowhere away from all the money in Pima County.

Not to worry, you're going to have the best basketball in the state (professional included) and a perennial top 10 program in a couple years in your backyard.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambo reported today that he called the D'backs and they confirmed there are only 40 season tickets holdered with Tucson addresses. it's not like there is much interruption to the fan base

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I guess the Dbacks do not consider anyone from Tucson part of their fan base. While I only go to a few games a year (from Tucson) I will not be attending any in the future. I hope the rest of the Tucson people do the same.
Think about that. My wife and I drove down the old Pinal Pioneer Parkway each year to see D'backs Spring Training games. It was worth the extra half hour for the scenery between Florence and Sunset Road or so.

If we could do it going down, D'backs fans from the Old Pueblo could do it coming up. Or, if you want to skip the scenery, it's just a 100 mile hop-skip-and-a-jump on the I-10.

If your name indicates you live in Sierra Vista, for example, it would add an hour to the trip.

Hell, before the D'backs came to town, I took my kids on the 6-hour drive to L.A. to Dodger Stadium each year.

It's a sport. The extra effort makes you feel good.

Borderrat

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with the statement about the Pima County Board, and Politicians bringing this on by the location TEP, lack of upgrading High Corbett, not working on bringing other teams in (A stadium in Marana would be ideal) and in general just being a bunch of idiots.

"Gambo reported today that he called the D'backs and they confirmed there are only 40 season tickets holdered with Tucson addresses. it's not like there is much interruption to the fan base."

Sorry Gambo is an idiot. Who would own season tickets living outside of Phoenix unless you were a business with connections in Phoenix or gave them away to clients. I know numerous people that attend 10 plus games a year. That eventually adds up.

The thought that the Dbacks will make up revenue because their spring training is now in Phoenix is misleading, just ask the White Sox who had their ticket sales fall their first year in Glendale. The population base can only support so many teams in one area.

In addition if the new stadiums follow the Sox/Dodgers ticket pricing policies good luck taking a family of four and spending under $200. I went to one game at Camelback Ranch and the prices they charge for spring training tickets are a joke. The owners are turning this into another revenue stream. Nothing like spring training when I moved here in the 80's.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with the statement about the Pima County Board, and Politicians bringing this on by the location TEP, lack of upgrading High Corbett, not working on bringing other teams in (A stadium in Marana would be ideal) and in general just being a bunch of idiots.

"Gambo reported today that he called the D'backs and they confirmed there are only 40 season tickets holdered with Tucson addresses. it's not like there is much interruption to the fan base."

Sorry Gambo is an idiot. Who would own season tickets living outside of Phoenix unless you were a business with connections in Phoenix or gave them away to clients. I know numerous people that attend 10 plus games a year. That eventually adds up.

The thought that the Dbacks will make up revenue because their spring training is now in Phoenix is misleading, just ask the White Sox who had their ticket sales fall their first year in Glendale. The population base can only support so many teams in one area.

In addition if the new stadiums follow the Sox/Dodgers ticket pricing policies good luck taking a family of four and spending under $200. I went to one game at Camelback Ranch and the prices they charge for spring training tickets are a joke. The owners are turning this into another revenue stream. Nothing like spring training when I moved here in the 80's.

Well it just sounds like you' want to rant about not having it your way. So be it I guess.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having two teams in Tucson while the rest are in Phoenix, makes as much sense as when they used to play games in Yuma (if I recall correctly).

Why not have a stadium if Flagstaff and Payson? Weather would be nicer.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The players, their agents, and front office types desire (including those that are married) for more available female interaction and social scene should not be understated in the move. I talked with a few baseball players (one of which is currently on the 25 man roster for the DBacks) during a wedding weekend a few years ago and their biggest gripe with Tucson was that the only good looking girls were in college.

Spring training is largely viewed by many players, especially veterans, as a month of golfing and partying while you get ready for the season.

OP
OP
CatBoxBackFan

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Very typical response from Tucson,blame someone else when they should look in the mirror and see the problem.

1. Sidewinders leaving:no local support and stadium built far from city.

2. Soxs leaving: 5 million dollar buyout,pocket change for Riensdorf.

3. Dbacks leaving: Look at #1.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Sidewinders (and the DBacks, Rockies, and Sox) would still be in Tucson had they built the stadium downtown. Nobody wants to see a game at TEP. The money in Tucson comes from the families in the Foothills areas and the University, neither of which are located convenient to TEP.

This falls on Tucson civic leadership.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Well the majority of the fan base is Phoenix which Im sure you'd acknowledge. Why should they stay in Tucson with just one other team, that puts them at a disadvantage. Furthermore all the players hate being in Tucson, and the fan support for all non UA sports has been historically poor in Tucson.
Not true. Tucson supported the Toros, I think even led the PCL in attendance a few times back in the day. They're even supporting the reincarnated Toros which play in something called the Golden Baseball League. The difference between them and the Sidewinders and DBacks Spring Training is that they play at Hi Corbett which has limited amenities but a terrific location.

Tucson Electric Park was/is a disaster. Think Jobing.com Arena without Westgate and UofP Stadium.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
just ask the White Sox who had their ticket sales fall their first year in Glendale. The population base can only support so many teams in one area.

everything I've read states that the whitesox had an uptick in attendance - which is pretty good in this economic climate ....... up 9.4% year over year which was the only team to see an increase

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/129205

As the only Cactus League team to see a spike in average attendance, the White Sox's average was up from 5,820 per game last year at TEP, before the team moved to Phoenix. At their new ballpark, Camelback Ranch, the Dodgers averaged 9,130; the Sox averaged 6,119.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/287449

also, camelback ranch cost a little bit more, but that's a gross exageration ....... most tickets cost $25 and under, berm seats cost $8

bring the kids, a blanket, a couple bottles of water and some snacks ..... shell out for a couple beers, a couple dogs and some icecream and your family of 4 had a nice day at the park for under $65

it's more expensive than tucson - mainly because tucson teams had some of the lowest prices in all of spring training ...... the cactus league is by far cheaper than the grapefruit league, where berm seats often go for $15

HooverDam

Reaction score
Why not have a stadium if Flagstaff and Payson? Weather would be nicer.

Too cold that time of year and the elevation would be a huge issue in Flagstaff. Flag is at 6,910, whereas Denver is 5,280. You think Coors is a bandbox, Flag would be ridiculous.

Also the biggest ting the Tucson supporters in this thread are forgetting is, its a fairly long drive from Phoenix. The biggest advantage and selling point the Cactus League has over the Grapefruit is minimal travel times. Players, coaches, execs, etc love being able to stay in one hotel or rented house for all of Spring Training and not have to travel all across a state. Sure Tucson is only a 2 hour drive, but it still means finding a new hotel, being away from your family and the big city you're having fun in, etc.

You basically have to keep the stadiums inside Maricopa County to keep the teams happy it seems. You could maybe build one or two out in places like Anthem, Wickenburg, Cave Creek, Carefree, or Queen Creek, but if you get too far out there's diminishing returns.

HooverDam

Reaction score
An article mostly about stimulus for the Indian tribe has some interesting details about the new Spring Training facility:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2009/07/24/20090724springtraining0724.html

Stimulus may help build spring-training stadium
Salt River tribal leaders to apply for federal funds
4 comments by Peter Corbett - Jul. 24, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
The Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community's $100 million investment in a spring-training complex for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies will be a key element of an emerging entertainment district on tribal land just east of Scottsdale.

The community will try to tap into $2 billion in federal stimulus funds set aside for Indian communities to help fund the baseball complex, Salt River community President Diane Enos said, and the tribe also is considering developing an aquarium attraction in the area.

Construction is slated to start in November on 12 practice fields and an 11,000-seat stadium on the former Pavilion Lakes Golf Club northwest of Loop 101 and Indian Bend Road.

Salt River tribal leaders and team officials on Thursday held a news conference to discuss plans for the baseball complex, with fields clustered around a stadium that faces the McDowell Mountains to the northeast.

"We want the fans to come out here to Indian country to enjoy baseball," said Martin Harvier, community vice president.

It will be the first Major League Baseball facility built on tribal land.

The Salt River tribe, with nearly 9,000 members, won the bid to build baseball facilities for the Diamondbacks and Rockies. The teams will play one more year in Tucson before joining the Cactus League's other 13 teams in the Valley for the 2011 spring season.

The 140-acre complex will shift some entertainment spending across town from Glendale's sport facilities, Enos said.

The tribe can host visiting baseball fans at its 15-story, 497-room casino hotel, set to open in the spring. Plus, golf is available at the adjacent Talking Stick Golf Club. Both are roughly a mile from the baseball complex.

At the spring-training complex, the Diamondbacks and Rockies each will have a clubhouse and team offices. They will share a team shop, including a ticket office.

Dallas-based HKS Architects will design the facilities, including the stadium with fixed seating for 7,000 fans and 4,000 lawn seats. HKS designed the Camelback Ranch Glendale stadium for the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox that opened this past March.

Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall said it was clear from the start that the tribe's site was the best among the bidders because of its views and accessibility.

The new complex will try to replicate the cozy spring-training experience between fans and players that Los Angeles had at Dodgertown in Vero Beach, Fla., before moving to the Valley.

"Fans will walk past the practice fields to get to the stadium," he said. "We are building it that way so the fans can interact with our players."

There will be several routes in and out of the site, minimizing congestion in the area, Hall said.

Architects' renderings for the site show two access roads running south from Via de Ventura, one running north from Indian Bend Road through the Scottsdale Pavilions shopping center, and one running east from Pima Road.

The Salt River community has been working with Scottsdale and the Arizona Department of Transportation on improvements to Pima Road, which divides Salt River and Scottsdale.

The plan is to widen Pima to four lanes from McDowell Road to Via Linda. Work will start with the segment between Indian Bend and Via de Ventura to coincide with the baseball complex construction.

Rockies President Keli McGregor said the new complex will make it easier for Colorado fans to fly into Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and follow the team in the Valley.

Both teams expect their home attendance will increase at Salt River.

"I think we have a common interest in growing more baseball fans," McGregor said.

This past season, the Diamondbacks averaged 6,738 fans per game, fifth highest among Cactus League teams. The Rockies were last with 4,722.

Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane, who attended the tribe's news conference, said he expects a temporary dip in attendance for the San Francisco Giants spring games at Scottsdale Stadium, about five miles away.

In the long run, the two additional teams will benefit Scottsdale and enhance the overall Cactus League experience, he said.

Nice to hear the stadium will be facing NE and having views of the McDowell Mountains, it should be a great view. I hope they include lots of shade, Im always amazed at the lack of shade structures at some of the Cactus League stadiums. The Rockies brought up a good point about how for them, being in Phoenix will be much easier since they can just fly into Sky Harbor and then drive up.