Budda requests trade

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're misreading it. The ONLY relates to the 2nd part of the sentence. The 2 months is only real if the contract demand is real. In which case spending 2 months telling him no and trying to convince him to stay seems fair. Especially as it seems Budda's camp was also negotiating for 2 months.

There is always a trade market for good players. The safety market was thin this year. The draft is very thin. There are still a lot of teams that would trade for Budda.

You won't get Jamal Adams value for him. Adams was 25 and the Seahawks overpaid. That deal shows why you don't trade that much for a safety.

I think a late first is achievable or equivalent value. The Lions have two 2nd round picks, I'd take one of them and a 3rd. And I imagine the Lions would be very interested in Budda. And they have the cap space to do it.

I'll take a third to get this contract off the books.

gmartin

Reaction score
You're kidding yourself with what we can get for him. A late first? A 2nd and a 3rd? Not at this point. Just read an article saying he'd have been a perfect fit for the Steelers...if only they hadn't just signed their new safety. So, yes, the market definitely shrinks with the passage of time. Plus, you're presenting it as if the only thing the team could do for two months is to work on keeping him. Why would they not have been working both sides of the street? A savvy GM does this, and if the right deal comes along strikes while the iron is hot. I mean, I'm not expecting you to give an inch and admit the FO could have done a single thing different, but this clearly could have been played differently.
Apparently some of know every discussion that Monti and Gannon ever had or are having, or will ever have:)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Different perspective from me, He's under contract for 2 more years!!! I luv Budda the person & player but he either plays for the Cards or holds out & sits!!! We can talk contract after the 2023 season or he can kick rocks

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For Baker to become the highest paid safety in the NFL would require that contract to be worth over $19 million per year (Derwin James, Chargers presently sits there at slightly over $19 million as an average salary). Baker has applied the trade me or pay me tactic. If traded, would he continue to play at his present salary for the new team or would he expect a contract extension from them and would he expect that team to pay him $19+ million a year or would he accept something less? Would any team in the NFL see Baker as worth being paid $19+ million per year?
No I don’t think they think he is worth that amount but that may not really be the goal. The goal could simply be getting out of AZ and this is the best way to do it. Make a crazy demand without saying you hate it here (notice he tweeted how much he loves the fans after the news broke) and hope a trade can be made.

As for the pay, this isn’t normal pay scales that we all find ourselves in. This is the NFL where middling players like Kirk get outlandish (to us) salaries. It is quite possible a team needing to gobble up some cap space and with as need at safety would but on a trade. Sadly I think some of the haul projections are hilariously outrageous.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have literally become the worst franchise in a matter of months. This is so freaking depressing. Haven't felt this low as a Cards fan since what 2012?
Been a fan for 60 years & trust me when I say that there have been far worse times than this. We are hopefully going through a major change that will involve us probably getting worse before we can get better. I completely understand all the frustrations at this juncture in time, but it's so, so early to lose hope entirely. I think hiring MO could, and of course, could is never a guarantee, be a turning point in how this franchise functions moving forward. Give Michael a fraction of credit for finally going outside this franchise & accepting the fact that the "Cardinal" way was failing miserably. The hope is that whatever changes that Monti implements, will be changes that hopefully set this franchise on a course for longer and steadier success. Monti has seen firsthand how that works in New England & Tennessee. No guarantees he can make it work in AZ, but I feel far more confident in that than doing it the "Cardinal" way of promoting from within and running the same old losing process over and over again.

I've worked in upper Sales Management almost my entire life. There is a process for success that cannot be underestimated. When you work that process consistently every day, over time, only better things can happen. Having been a part of 2 successful franchises, I expect that MO has a pretty good grasp of a process that has paid dividends in the NFL. A new process may involve changes that certain players, because of where their careers currently are, are just not willing to partake in. I'm guessing that may be where someone like Budda is. And that's fine. No one likes change very much. I've had to let some very good & successful corporate salespeople go because they just weren't willing to change their processes. If he moves on, then I wish him well & will always be a fan of his. Unless, of course, he ends up playing for the Seahawks. Then he's dead to me lol.

I've seen short stretches of success with this franchise over the course of 7 stinking decades. They had a few good teams in the 60's under Charlie Winner, but there were no wildcard playoff teams back then, and the Cleveland Browns were a perennial nemesis. The 70's had the Coryell years, which turned out again to not be sustainable. The 80's had some very good Neil Lomax years, but never enough depth to overcome injuries & sustain. The 90's were mostly ugly, but the 98 team was exciting, yet shortlived. The Whisenhunt years brought a SB loss, but he did win 4 playoff games. Again, it was never sustainable. The same could be said of the BA years. And the Wilks & KK hires were awful, so sustainability doesn't even come into play. The word that consistently comes in play is Sustainable. The Bidwill family has never produced it for a whole variety of reasons. And they may never? But, this experiment going outside the franchise with MO is something the Bidwills have very seldom, if ever, attempted.

If MOJG find the right proccesses, and they work it consistently, AND Bidwill leaves the football side alone to do their jobs, then maybe, over the course of the next few years, we can have something nice. My hope is that we develop a team that plays better in the 2nd half of seasons & down the stretch of seasons. To be honest, that has plagued this franchise going back to the 60's. Creating sustainable depth doesn't happen overnight, and there's a process involved. Will Michael stay the course during that process? Or will he go back to using bandaids to create short stretches of success, with no chance of sustaining that success. Time will tell.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're kidding yourself with what we can get for him. A late first? A 2nd and a 3rd? Not at this point. Just read an article saying he'd have been a perfect fit for the Steelers...if only they hadn't just signed their new safety. So, yes, the market definitely shrinks with the passage of time. Plus, you're presenting it as if the only thing the team could do for two months is to work on keeping him. Why would they not have been working both sides of the street? A savvy GM does this, and if the right deal comes along strikes while the iron is hot. I mean, I'm not expecting you to give an inch and admit the FO could have done a single thing different, but this clearly could have been played differently.

He'd be a perfect fit for the Steelers if they hadn't signed *checks notes* Keanu Neal for $2.125m per season?

That's what would be stopping them? A replacement level guy being paid like a depth piece who could easily slide to safety #3?

That ain't stopping anyone.

It CLEARLY could have been played differently? Really? What exactly is clear from the microscopic information we have gleaned from 2 tweets?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You may or may not be right. Lets assume you are. So, then, Im assuming youve seen who weve signed thus far, and are excited by this group of "team players"???

I am putting more faith in this organization and their abilities to perform than I ever have before. Thats totally bass ackwards, but if I didnt, thered be ZERO reason to even follow this team. The funny thing is, they've given me no reason to place said faith in them. But its all I got for this sitcom of a sports franchise.
Been following this mess for 7 decades now. Even when they've had legitimate talent, they have never been able to sustain it because depth has always been the culprit. Michael is a poor owner, but give him at least some credit for going outside the franchise to hire MO & get the F away from the "Cardinal" way. So far, all we've seen this off season are signings to foster depth. Let's see how the draft goes before we completely give up. Real change takes time, and developing a winning culture takes time too. Unfortunately, if it takes too much time, then players give up. Probably where Budda is today.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really going to miss Budda's winning drive and never say die attitude that led to one winning season in 6.

It's almost as if you win with a good team, and having one good player on a bad team makes no difference.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm really going to miss Budda's winning drive and never say die attitude that led to one winning season in 6.

It's almost as if you win with a good team, and having one good player on a bad team makes no difference.
Brit’s right. We have a much better shot of winning in the next five years without any good players. #luxuryplayer.

Does your material come prewritten directly from Hardy?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Do you think maybe, just maybe, if you put good players around other good players (especially one that is respected and a locker room leader) that the team improves? I don't see how trading a known quantity for an unknown makes us any better.

There is such a thing as good players on bad teams. Aeneas Williams was a HOF player on multiple bad teams, just because he only had 1 winning season during his stint in AZ doesn't take away from that. It's a shame they never surrounded him with better talent or coaching.

Just like with Aeneas, him wanting out says more about how he feels about the direction of this franchise than it does about the player.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you think maybe, just maybe, if you put good players around other good players (especially one that is respected and a locker room leader) that the team improves? I don't see how trading a known quantity for an unknown makes us any better.

There is such a thing as good players on bad teams. Aeneas Williams was a HOF player on multiple bad teams, just because he only had 1 winning season during his stint in AZ doesn't take away from that. It's a shame they never surrounded him with better talent or coaching.

Just like with Aeneas, him wanting out says more about how he feels about the direction of this franchise than it does about the player.

What's the old saying: 'When they say it isn't about money, it's ABOUT money!

Budda has made it clear that if the CARDS met his demands, he'd be signing on the dotted line.

P.S. Aeneas threatened to retire if he wasn't traded.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
He is 27, he has one large deal left and it needs to be constructed now. The Cardinals are obviously tanking, he either wants to get a paid to be the face #1 safety in the NFL or trade him so he can play for a franchise that actually wants to win in the next two years.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I felt like so much of the losing was the play calling, coaching and attitude. I feel this team has a fundamentally better chance with a clean slate. I like the GM room based on confidence I kind of fabricated. But the fact that MO comes from a running, smash mouth Vrabel led team and Sears from a Lions team that looked great last 10 games with an OL too; it makes me feel better about this team.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What's the old saying: 'When they say it isn't about money, it's ABOUT money!

Budda has made it clear that if the CARDS met his demands, he'd be signing on the dotted line.

P.S. Aeneas threatened to retire if he wasn't traded.

I remember specifically what happened with Aeneas, doesn't change what I said. He was a great player on a bad team, he did not like the direction of the franchise and gave an ultimatum--we stunk for several more years after he was gone while he went to a SB (albeit he lost) but his instincts on the franchise proved correct.

Budda's attitude is probably this team stinks, if I am not winning I better be getting paid more than I am now...and I can't blame him. This franchise is rightfully looked at as one of the worst in the league, we would have to massively overpay to get any of the best players to even think of coming here. I think free agency is not only a reflection of the front office's strategy but of what reality is when it comes to quality players--they just aren't coming here.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is 27, he has one large deal left and it needs to be constructed now. The Cardinals are obviously tanking, he either wants to get a paid to be the face #1 safety in the NFL or trade him so he can play for a franchise that actually wants to win in the next two years.
What may seem to be tanking, is NOT tanking. Cardinals are going through a PROCESS change that is LONG LONG overdue. Other than that, I agree with you. Budda may be being shortsighted, but at 27, he doesn’t want to take that risk.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sorry you Fitz fans. The only reason Fitz stayed is the contract was re-upped before expiration Everytime and above market value. Fitz meant more to Cardinals than the league. Budda on a scale in this dire situations is like that. Economics 101.

What Budda is asking is totally reasonable. You don't like it? Yeah, guess what

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sorry you Fitz fans. The only reason Fitz stayed is the contract was re-upped before expiration Everytime and above market value. Fitz meant more to Cardinals than the league. Budda on a scale in this dire situations is like that. Economics 101.

What Budda is asking is totally reasonable. You don't like it? Yeah, guess what

Well, if you think BUDDA should be the highest-paid Safety in the League then you're (IMO) in a party of two: You and Budda.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if you think BUDDA should be the highest-paid Safety in the League then you're (IMO) in a party of two: You and Budda.
He is not going to be the highest paid safety in the league. It would totally blow our budget for paying 1 million 1 year contracts to practice squad level journeymen.

But he could get traded. We could get like 14 NFL minimum guys and a third day draft pick to boot. That fits into the plan the way I see it

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson