Budda requests trade

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I say trade anyone who doesn't want to be here. We will be building a new team with lots of young players. The last thing we need is a few unhappy grumbling souls wandering around the locker rooms. Toxicity is the very last thing we need added to our other woes. Ship 'em all out and start fresh with young positive players.

New coach needs to sit one on one with every player on this team and straight out ask him if he wants to be apart of this. Let each know that if they don't, we will do all we can to find them a new home.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
Our 2 best players want to be traded and our third best player will be out for maybe half the year. Who will be the best player on the field week one? I'm sure we will hear the best player on the football team isn't on the team yet haha. I hope Budda gets what he wants. Good dude and plays the game the way you want it to be played. Really looking forward to the complete dumpster fire next year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This where all the poor facilities, F minuses, losing, and awful leadership come into play. @BritCard I'm looking at you BTW.

If we were the Chefs or Eagles or hell even the Hags or 49ers, Baker keeps quiet for another year probably.

If we were just a middle class NFL franchise, this wouldn't be a thing. But no. We're the freaking skid row, wrong side of the tracks, stay away from Hardy ave. after 6pm if you know what's good for you sad sack Cardinals.

LOL dude.

He's been here 6 years. He signed a fat deal just 2 years ago with *checks notes* the same facilities, the same ownership, Steve Keim at the helm and not a single winning season.

This is nothing to do with any of those things.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the hand wingers here blaming the Cards what exactly do you think they have done?

Do you think that they should base their long term strategy around keeping Budda happy? Should Monti emulate Keim and shoot our wad on another 7 win season so Budda can pretend there's hope?

Bucs are going to suck. Where's Evans trade request? Or Jensen or Vea? Rams are going to suck. I don't see Donald or Kupp trade demands.

Or should they give him an extension only 2 years into a deal where they made him the highest paid safety?

I'm not sure how anyone can think this is the Cards fault.

It always made sense to trade him. He's a 27 year old free safety with huge cap hits the next 2 years. His play style is going to affect him more as he ages.

He's not remotely crucial to the future of this team. How many people can name the FS for the final 4 championship game teams and how many are stars?

Trade him. Add picks and cap space. Play Simmons at safety.

No single player makes a team.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why do fans always say this about players, but not about teams when they cut players still under contract? What Budda and DHop are doing is not out of the norm in the NFL.
Exactly. This outrage over a player and not playing out his contract is silly and ignores NFL reality.

Stout

Reaction score
For the hand wingers here blaming the Cards what exactly do you think they have done?

Do you think that they should base their long term strategy around keeping Budda happy? Should Monti emulate Keim and shoot our wad on another 7 win season so Budda can pretend there's hope?

Bucs are going to suck. Where's Evans trade request? Or Jensen or Vea? Rams are going to suck. I don't see Donald or Kupp trade demands.

Or should they give him an extension only 2 years into a deal where they made him the highest paid safety?

I'm not sure how anyone can think this is the Cards fault.

It always made sense to trade him. He's a 27 year old free safety with huge cap hits the next 2 years. His play style is going to affect him more as he ages.

He's not remotely crucial to the future of this team. How many people can name the FS for the final 4 championship game teams and how many are stars?

Trade him. Add picks and cap space. Play Simmons at safety.

No single player makes a team.
Your logic falls apart when you read the Cards had two months to address the situation, literally did nothing, leading to BB having to make this public, which is a very, very bad look. If you're not signing him, you trade him. If you're trading him, don't wait months while other teams sign safeties and eliminate need, driving the trade price down.

In no world is this anything but a bad look for the Cards.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your logic falls apart when you read the Cards had two months to address the situation, literally did nothing, leading to BB having to make this public, which is a very, very bad look. If you're not signing him, you trade him. If you're trading him, don't wait months while other teams sign safeties and eliminate need, driving the trade price down.

In no world is this anything but a bad look for the Cards.

They only had 2 months if you also believe the 2nd part of that statement in that he wants to be made the highest paid safety 2 years into a 4 year deal.

In which case they should tell him to kick rocks.

I highly doubt they did nothing. I'm sure they spent the last 2 months telling him it wasn't happening and trying to convince him to drop it and stay. Maybe they even made him an offer of additional guarantees? Who knows? I'm sure had they traded him 2 months ago you would have complained they should try to convince him to stay.

They haven't lost anything in value and it's not a bad look other than to those people that think everything this team does is a bad luck.

This will be his agent, a guy that is known for these kind of games, applying pressure on the Org to move to their demands.

Trade him. No safety if that important and Budda isn't the only guy that can play with fire in his belly.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It shows that they were all about themselves instead about the team. Which is exactly the OPPOSITE of what Gannon is trying to build here.
You may or may not be right. Lets assume you are. So, then, Im assuming youve seen who weve signed thus far, and are excited by this group of "team players"???

I am putting more faith in this organization and their abilities to perform than I ever have before. Thats totally bass ackwards, but if I didnt, thered be ZERO reason to even follow this team. The funny thing is, they've given me no reason to place said faith in them. But its all I got for this sitcom of a sports franchise.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But don't you remember the fiery speeches Budda would give right before we'd lose and give up 30+ points? The guy was a good player, a tad bit overrated by Card fans, and I'd rather have him than not, but I no longer hold him in high regard (character wise)
I love it when sports fans judge a guys character via sound bytes on a TV show and tweets. People take this stuff so personally.

Stout

Reaction score
They only had 2 months if you also believe the 2nd part of that statement in that he wants to be made the highest paid safety 2 years into a 4 year deal.

In which case they should tell him to kick rocks.

I highly doubt they did nothing. I'm sure they spent the last 2 months telling him it wasn't happening and trying to convince him to drop it and stay. Maybe they even made him an offer of additional guarantees? Who knows? I'm sure had they traded him 2 months ago you would have complained they should try to convince him to stay.

They haven't lost anything in value and it's not a bad look other than to those people that think everything this team does is a bad luck.

This will be his agent, a guy that is known for these kind of games, applying pressure on the Org to move to their demands.

Trade him. No safety if that important and Budda isn't the only guy that can play with fire in his belly.
They only had two months? No, no, no, they had a whole two months. That's a lifetime in football. If, as you think, they spent that whole time futilely trying to get him to stay, that would be terrible management. You try to convince him to stay while at the same time seeing what you can get. Sure, it would have been an initial crap fest had we traded him, but it's an easy fix for the FO: "BB requested either a new contract or a trade, and we highly respect him and, respecting his wishes, traded him" or something along those lines.

How do you figure they haven't lost anything in value? Waiting until almost the draft and allowing all those potential trade destinations to fill holes in FA (yes, other teams actually do this, just not the Cards lol) eliminates potential trade partners and indeed lowers the value. If we can't offload him before/during the draft, we're looking at getting almost nothing in return. Sitting on the situation and hoping it would resolve for two months definitely cost them in value.

A question for you, Brit: What do you think we can get for him now?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They only had two months? No, no, no, they had a whole two months. That's a lifetime in football. If, as you think, they spent that whole time futilely trying to get him to stay, that would be terrible management. You try to convince him to stay while at the same time seeing what you can get. Sure, it would have been an initial crap fest had we traded him, but it's an easy fix for the FO: "BB requested either a new contract or a trade, and we highly respect him and, respecting his wishes, traded him" or something along those lines.

How do you figure they haven't lost anything in value? Waiting until almost the draft and allowing all those potential trade destinations to fill holes in FA (yes, other teams actually do this, just not the Cards lol) eliminates potential trade partners and indeed lowers the value. If we can't offload him before/during the draft, we're looking at getting almost nothing in return. Sitting on the situation and hoping it would resolve for two months definitely cost them in value.

A question for you, Brit: What do you think we can get for him now?

You're misreading it. The ONLY relates to the 2nd part of the sentence. The 2 months is only real if the contract demand is real. In which case spending 2 months telling him no and trying to convince him to stay seems fair. Especially as it seems Budda's camp was also negotiating for 2 months.

There is always a trade market for good players. The safety market was thin this year. The draft is very thin. There are still a lot of teams that would trade for Budda.

You won't get Jamal Adams value for him. Adams was 25 and the Seahawks overpaid. That deal shows why you don't trade that much for a safety.

I think a late first is achievable or equivalent value. The Lions have two 2nd round picks, I'd take one of them and a 3rd. And I imagine the Lions would be very interested in Budda. And they have the cap space to do it.

Stout

Reaction score
You're misreading it. The ONLY relates to the 2nd part of the sentence. The 2 months is only real if the contract demand is real. In which case spending 2 months telling him no and trying to convince him to stay seems fair. Especially as it seems Budda's camp was also negotiating for 2 months.

There is always a trade market for good players. The safety market was thin this year. The draft is very thin. There are still a lot of teams that would trade for Budda.

You won't get Jamal Adams value for him. Adams was 25 and the Seahawks overpaid. That deal shows why you don't trade that much for a safety.

I think a late first is achievable or equivalent value. The Lions have two 2nd round picks, I'd take one of them and a 3rd. And I imagine the Lions would be very interested in Budda. And they have the cap space to do it.
You're kidding yourself with what we can get for him. A late first? A 2nd and a 3rd? Not at this point. Just read an article saying he'd have been a perfect fit for the Steelers...if only they hadn't just signed their new safety. So, yes, the market definitely shrinks with the passage of time. Plus, you're presenting it as if the only thing the team could do for two months is to work on keeping him. Why would they not have been working both sides of the street? A savvy GM does this, and if the right deal comes along strikes while the iron is hot. I mean, I'm not expecting you to give an inch and admit the FO could have done a single thing different, but this clearly could have been played differently.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know that any competitive player who considers themselves a top talent will want to be here for a long while.

This team is going to be an all-time disaster next year.
Yes, true, but let’s face it: if MB suddenly did an about face and threw crazy money around, just about anyone and everyone would sign here. Oh, and stop charging for to-go meals from the team cafeteria too. ;)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It doesn't hurt to dream.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
For Baker to become the highest paid safety in the NFL would require that contract to be worth over $19 million per year (Derwin James, Chargers presently sits there at slightly over $19 million as an average salary). Baker has applied the trade me or pay me tactic. If traded, would he continue to play at his present salary for the new team or would he expect a contract extension from them and would he expect that team to pay him $19+ million a year or would he accept something less? Would any team in the NFL see Baker as worth being paid $19+ million per year?