Bryan deserves a ring, Bobby

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
so i take it is mao's and chris' contention that sarver was the one behind all these great basketball moves. i call bs. the dude is a neophyte.

Don't be so simplistic. You know better than that.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
so i take it is mao's and chris' contention that sarver was the one behind all these great basketball moves. i call bs. the dude is a neophyte.
All I said was that Colnagelo was a marginal GM for years and then all of a sudden got the Midas touch once Sarver arrived. You obviously think that's merely a coincidence, I happen to think otherwise.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Sarver also had a big part in attracting Nash which was the most important personnel move this team has probably ever had so you can't only give BC credit for that.

Of course that wouldn't have been possible had BC not done the Marbury/Penny trade. I do however think BC gets too much credit for the Suns personel moves.

I thought it was a mistake when Sarver refused to give JJ a mil more per year than what he gave Q, but it's not like Bryan is without his faults.

And call Sarver cheap all you want, but the cheapest move in franchise history was the deal that sent Googs' expiring contract and 2 first round picks to Utah just to put a little extra coin in the owners pockets.

As for BC getting a ring? Who the hell cares? If the Suns are lucky enough to win a ring I don't see how any Suns fan could be upset with anything SArver does baring some Marlin-esque blow-up.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Should Jim Jackson get a ring too?

The hell with Bryan Colangelo. He can buy his own ring.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Of never winning a championship?

I'd take Sarver's idiotic courtside antics and immature behavior if it meant winning championships.

you can't blame not winning a championship on the way colangelo carried himself and ran a professional organization. just as you can't possibly think that sarver's antics and immature behavior will win a championship.

if sarver takes us to the promised land he can do anything he wants. i'm just saying that in his capacity as an owner (not a fan) i hope he emulates colangelo's professionalism. i'd prefer he not be a boob, but if he gets it done in the front office, then he can boob away. but let's not kidd ourselves, the dude's still a boob.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
so i take it is mao's and chris' contention that sarver was the one behind all these great basketball moves.

Why is it that BC or sarver are the only ones who get any credit for player personnel moves. Do D'Antoni, Gentry, Ivaroni, and Webber get any credit at all? Did BC and Sarver know the D'Antoni system so well that they made the evaluations on the players Mike needed or did Mike and the asst coaches give the inputs. Why is it always one guy who "did it". What is this a quarterback complex? Guys at the top do good things, but they dont deserve all the credit or all the blame. If Sarver is a good buisnessman, he probably did alot of things by committee, with important inputs from a number of sources. With his money on the line who do you think he listened to, himself? At the time these decisions were made BC hadnt established himself as a particularly good GM, so who did sarver listen to? I dont know why, but I expect the coaching staff is better at evaluating talent than the managers since they work with and against talent all the time. I'll bet the coaching staff and scouts were the ones who knew the most about the foreign players(Diaw, Barbosa). Bell and KT are here supposedly due to Nash and Amare, mainly. Both were great moves, and those guys werent owners or GM's. As far as bringing Nash here I suspect it had to do with the players that he was going to be working with as much as anything else, if he wanted to win. Promising a 31 year old point guard "future" players to win with dont sound as good as convincing them to a 24 year old.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
if sarver takes us to the promised land he can do anything he wants. i'm just saying that in his capacity as an owner (not a fan) i hope he emulates colangelo's professionalism. i'd prefer he not be a boob, but if he gets it done in the front office, then he can boob away. but let's not kidd ourselves, the dude's still a boob.
Absolutely. But I think Jerry Jones is a boob and Bill Bidwill is a profesional but I think we both know who we would prefer to run our football team.

Fact remains that in Sarver's first two years at the helm we're getting a product as good as any we saw in the Colangelo days both off and on the court. The guy deservs a lot of credit for that but for whatever reason Bryan Colangelo seems to reap most of it. And I'd be willing to guess right now if Bryan Colangelo's last name was Smith there would not be this public outcry to give him the keys to the city while tarring and feathering Robert Sarver.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Sarver also had a big part in attracting Nash which was the most important personnel move this team has probably ever had so you can't only give BC credit for that.

Actually, it is pretty well documented that Sarver was against getting Steve Nash - but he conceeded to the C's since he didn't know anything about basketball.

I am pretty sure he even said it himself - something along the lines about how he had just bought a team for 400 million, and his first move was to dump a huge contract on 31 year old PG. He just didn't understand it, but was so happy it worked out. In fact, he also said he had almost no part in the actual recruitment - he simply sat back and watched Jerry work his magic.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I would probably give BC a ring - he built this team. I would also hardley call it "jumping ship".

Technically he left the team mid-season, however he left after all possible GM moves were pretty much done (post trade deadline). The only thing that wasn't done was getting TT - which was a pretty obvious move once KT went down.

BC did a hell of a lot more for this team this season than Amare. Would anyone hold back Amare's ring? Of course not.....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I would probably give BC a ring - he built this team. I would also hardley call it "jumping ship".

Technically he left the team mid-season, however he left after all possible GM moves were pretty much done (post trade deadline). The only thing that wasn't done was getting TT - which was a pretty obvious move once KT went down.

BC did a hell of a lot more for this team this season than Amare. Would anyone hold back Amare's ring? Of course not.....

But Amare isn't playing for another team right now.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Actually, it is pretty well documented that Sarver was against getting Steve Nash - but he conceeded to the C's since he didn't know anything about basketball.

I am pretty sure he even said it himself - something along the lines about how he had just bought a team for 400 million, and his first move was to dump a huge contract on 31 year old PG. He just didn't understand it, but was so happy it worked out. In fact, he also said he had almost no part in the actual recruitment - he simply sat back and watched Jerry work his magic.

I actually remember something like that. I heard it was either Colangelo or D'Antoni that convinced him to do it...or they both did.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A ring for Brian? Aren't we jumping the gun? Nobody is getting rings this year.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I think they should give Bryan a ring if the suns win it all.

Bryan had a lot to do with this current team. He is an excellent evaluator of talent and has been praised for that and also has the knowledge of the salary cap issues.

Bryan Colangelo left the suns for a better opportunity, I was not happy he left but it is apparant that Sarver and Bryan did not get along.

The timing of his leave is not a problem, and in fact it was a good time to leave. The trade deadline was passed and there was nothing for him to do but watch until the draft. The suns had time to either promote or find a new G.M. and they promoted D'Antoni.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I don't care if BC gets a ring or not really, as long as Jerry Colangelo gets a ring, thats the important thing. He's poured everything he's got into this team and city, and I hope he can finally get a ring.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

No I think it was two people of different perspectives that teamed up to render the best possible results. I would say they deserve equal credit for getting us to where we are now.

Sarver just gets abused around here and I have no idea why. I can only guess that people hate change.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Should Jim Jackson get a ring too?

The hell with Bryan Colangelo. He can buy his own ring.

LOL I was going to say the same thing.

Nasser22

Reaction score
The difference is Jim Jackson did nothing while without Bryan Colangelo we probably wouldn't have gotten this far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You keep pushing this junk, and that's EXACTLY what it is. There was NO low-balling. JJ wanted 70 million bucks, Sarver said he'd pay it, JJ said he didn't want to be a Sun. Why do you totally absolve JJ of any blame just because you "indirectly" heard that Sarver was a cheap bastard? (With no substantial proof, mind you)

That said, I'm torn about giving him a ring--my first inclination would be no, but then again, he was a big part of putting this current team together. But he did jump ship mid-voyage, so there is a conflict there.

Junk - are you insane or just ignoring the past because, well, it proves that I'm right and then you have nothing to fight about? It was WELL documented that Sarver balked at paying JJ fair price for his extension and then it was documented that he low-balled him AGAIN once FA started. This ain't made up news, this is COMPLETELY documented, over and over and over again on this board. How you can sya there was no low balling is just beyond me - it happened TWICE, everyone in the league knew about it, everyone in the Phoenix media knew about it and EVERYONE HERE knew about it.

But again - Sarver's ass was saved - by BC, but yeah, he's just as worthless to this team as apparently Jimmy Jackson was this season. What a joke of a comment that was by Sarver.

Think about this Chap - WHY didn't JJ want to be a Suns? It's because the owner treated him like crap twice. He didn't feel like he was part of the family - period.

As far as the other things - haven't there been instanc es where Sarver has already cut back on basketball operations - I don't remember what it was exactly, but I do remember something to that extent and people getting all over him.

The guy handles himself with ZERO class - period. The Chicken-Dance at the Spurs last year (mimicking what a bunch of bozos were doing on this board at the same time), the outright dismissal of of THE man who built this team (which apparently a lot of the same people are doing here again), without nary a thought, not to mention low-balling HIM and stonewalling Bryan's concern over his own contract which paid him FAR BELOW the league average.

I guess taking the above into consideration, it doesn't surprise me that peeps here have no problem with this. They're, likeminded to Sarver in certain respects, that's sad.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
A ring for Brian? Aren't we jumping the gun? Nobody is getting rings this year.

Why are you always so pessimistic? They have a good chance to win it this year...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
LOL I was going to say the same thing.

I was just waiting for some idiot to make the Sarver-like Jimmy Jackson comment and BINGO - there it is!

To compare what JJ did for this team this year (which was nothing but sit on the bench and complain) verus what BC did for us this year (you know - putting the entire team together that is actually still playing in the WCF) is just laughably stupid and again just speaks to the level of not only basketball intelligence, but Sarver-like class, or lack thereof.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
I get tired of the beating of the same dead horse regarding Joe Johnson. He did not want to play here. With the way Boris is tearing it up in the playoffs there is not one Suns fan who would want to trade him back to Atlanta for Joe Johnson. BC bailed on the team before the end of the year and does not deserve a ring.
Yes he did contribute while he was here but he is the Raptors GM now. He is no longer with the Suns for his own choice. The company analogy applies. Even if you helped the company, you don't get a bonus when you leave for another company.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I was just waiting for some idiot to make the Sarver-like Jimmy Jackson comment and BINGO - there it is!

To compare what JJ did for this team this year (which was nothing but sit on the bench and complain) verus what BC did for us this year (you know - putting the entire team together that is actually still playing in the WCF) is just laughably stupid and again just speaks to the level of not only basketball intelligence, but Sarver-like class, or lack thereof.

It's a joke cheese.

You seriously need to stop calling people idiots, stupid, ect...

Maybe you need a hug.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
It's a joke cheese.

Maybe you need a hug.

no Chris - what I need to be is BANNED - but you won't do it, no matter how hard I try to make it happen!!!

I'm wasting too much time on this damn board!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's a joke cheese.

Don't worry. I have a solution planned, but I'm not saying anything about it until this playoff run is over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort