Bruce Arians: People who say they won't let their kids play football 'are fools'

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians is sick of people bashing football.

"People that say, 'I won't let my son play [football]' are fools," he told The MMQB in a video interview.

We have this fear of concussion that is real, but not all of those statistics, I think, can prove anything," he told The MMQB.

Arians had only praise for the game.

"This is the greatest game in the world," Arians said. "I think it teaches more values than any other game that you play. You have things that happen in your life that aren't going to be good. If you play football, you know how to handle them. It doesn't necessarily equate in track and other things."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ce-arians-people-let-kids-play-football-fools

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Parents who let their single-digit kids play tackle football are terrible parents. Some tackle football team has practice at the fields by my house, and whenever I walk the dog by there, I just shake my head.

There's nothing your kid is going to get in tackle football that they wouldn't get in flag football. Tackle football is a sport that is not designed for kids in the single-digits to play.

Little kids can't give informed consent about getting their brains beaten in.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parents who let their single-digit kids play tackle football are terrible parents. Some tackle football team has practice at the fields by my house, and whenever I walk the dog by there, I just shake my head.

There's nothing your kid is going to get in tackle football that they wouldn't get in flag football. Tackle football is a sport that is not designed for kids in the single-digits to play.

Totally agree.

My 9 year old just started flag football. No way I would let him do tackle football at his age. He has to wait for high school till he can try out for tackle if he still wants to play.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Same here. My 2 kids, 9 and 5 or in flag right now and loving it. Won't allow them to play tackle for a while if at all.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't know the age context of his comments but is there a difference to you guys if he was referring to parents that wont let their 16 year old play?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's an NFL head coach to say??? My son started playing football when he was 10. He just turned 14 & he just informed us that he's dropping football. He's a very good player, but wants to devote most of his time working on his lax game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don't know the age context of his comments but is there a difference to you guys if he was referring to parents that wont let their 16 year old play?

He specifically says, "There are more knee injuries 8 to 12 in soccer than there are in football." He also passes on some junk science about there being DNA tests that can predict the chance you'll get a "serious" concussion (truth bomb: There is no other kind.).

My brother played OT and TE for Corona for four years. My other brother was a kicker for Marcos and got at least one concussion. I agree that there are lessons that team sports teach you that you're not going to get playing tennis (and the same thing with individual sports, honestly). I just don't think that Coaches believe that concussions are a serious issue at levels below college (and some college coaches obviously don't think so, either), and it's dangerous for NFL people to continue saying that coaches and parents shouldn't be wary.

Honestly, anyone who consults a 63 year-old for parenting advice is probably the greater fool.

Last edited:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I think Arians is being regrettably obtuse here. Sure he's a football coach who grew up playing football and who has spend his entire adult life coaching at the highest levels. Got that. But, the most devastating, quality of life altering injuries in sport occur more frequently on the football field than anywhere else---no one needs to rely on statistics to know this is true. Yes, football, like all team sports, teaches kids the value of teamwork, sustained dedication, sacrifice, discipline, etc. But---football is not for everyone---nor should it be. All of you who are making your astute points about the dangers of young kids playing tackle football are right on the money. It is a scary ass risk. Add to that all the PEDs that some kids, college players and pros take to try to build up a body of armor and football is rarely ever played on a level playing field.

Having played and coached football---I can honestly say I was always enamored with the sheer ballet of football and all the chess matches and X's and O's---but I was always leery of the sheer brutality of the sport. I perpetually felt at odds with myself. Having played college baseball, I was never at odds with the game---sure, when I had the unique opportunity to hit against Bert Blyleven of the Twins in a pre-season exhibition, it took every bit of nerve I had to hang in the batter's box when his vaunted curve ball was 12 inches from my head (and broke sharply into the strike zone)...but it was nothing like the fear I had when throwing a pass knowing that I was opening up my solar plexus to a blitzing linebacker who was 35 pounds heavier. On one similar play my head did a whiplash so hard I was seeing stars (so many of you can relate I'm sure) and I still remember seeing my coach, who was an ex-Green Beret, standing over me, spitting down in my face, commanding me to get up and calling me a p----.

Yes, football is one of the ultimate gut checks---anyone who has ever feared getting hit by another player or getting your knee obliterated---knows what a gut check it is. Yes, it can help build some kids' confidence---but I would bet it damaged more kids' confidence in one way or another.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Arians but I think he should just stick to coaching and stop making comments about stuff like this.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think Arians is being regrettably obtuse here. Sure he's a football coach who grew up playing football and who has spend his entire adult life coaching at the highest levels. Got that. But, the most devastating, quality of life altering injuries in sport occur more frequently on the football field than anywhere else---no one needs to rely on statistics to know this is true. Yes, football, like all team sports, teaches kids the value of teamwork, sustained dedication, sacrifice, discipline, etc. But---football is not for everyone---nor should it be. All of you who are making your astute points about the dangers of young kids playing tackle football are right on the money. It is a scary ass risk. Add to that all the PEDs that some kids, college players and pros take to try to build up a body of armor and football is rarely ever played on a level playing field.

Having played and coached football---I can honestly say I was always enamored with the sheer ballet of football and all the chess matches and X's and O's---but I was always leery of the sheer brutality of the sport. I perpetually felt at odds with myself. Having played college baseball, I was never at odds with the game---sure, when I had the unique opportunity to hit against Bert Blyleven of the Twins in a pre-season exhibition, it took every bit of nerve I had to hang in the batter's box when his vaunted curve ball wall 12 inches from my head (and broke sharply into the strike zone)...but it was nothing like the fear I had when throwing a pass knowing that I was opening up my solar plexus to a blitzing linebacker who was 35 pounds heavier. On one similar play my head did a whiplash so hard I was seeing stars (so many of you can relate I'm sure) and I still remember seeing my coach, who was an ex-Green Beret, standing over me, spitting down in my face, commanding me to get up and calling me a p----.

Yes, football is one of the ultimate gut checks---anyone who has ever feared getting hit by another player or getting your knee obliterated---knows what a gut check it is. Yes, it can help build some kids' confidence---but I would bet it damaged more kids' confidence in one way or another.

Wow... perfectly states Mitch... Your comments reflect my experiences in sports, mainly football and baseball, to a T.
I also coached both Little League baseball (had to eventually quit after 7 years as I was literally going to kill some parents!) and Pop Warner Football. There is no question in my mind that kids playing Pop Warner experienced all of the teachings you mention above, and many also felt the surge of self-confidence that comes from taking on another person who is trying to hit you. The flipside of that of course is that many other kids were indeed crushed when put in this situation and couldn't rise to the challenge.
This rarely happens in baseball, at least as compared to football... Arians messed up here, unfortunately. I would never begrudge a parent who makes the decision to keep their child out of tackle football. Yet, at the same time, I know intimately, how great the game can be in so many wonderful ways...

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Football was probably the greatest thing I experienced as a kid. It made a huge impact on who I am today. You can't live in a bubble. IMO Everyone needs to live life not live scared of it. You may or may not get some brain injury, and you may or not get cancer, and you may or not die in a car accident. Can't worry about these things just enjoy life while you can.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Football was probably the greatest thing I experienced as a kid. It made a huge impact on who I am today. You can't live in a bubble. IMO Everyone needs to live life not live scared of it. You may or may not get some brain injury, and you may or not get cancer, and you may or not die in a car accident. Can't worry about these things just enjoy life while you can.

That's why I never look both ways when I cross the street. An anvil can fall out of the sky and land on my head tomorrow — no point taking even the smallest precautions.

This take is so hot I can barely stand it.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
That's why I never look both ways when I cross the street. An anvil can fall out of the sky and land on my head tomorrow — no point taking even the smallest precautions.

Don't forget lightning strike lol

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

LMAO...

:D

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Agreed. You aren't learning form tackling when you weigh barely more than the helmets and pads. I would even say they could learn better fundamentals without having to worry about tackling at that age. Kids are smart enough to learn routes and plays, but the end result in most tiny football is just a big mess on the line of scrimmage with a kid squirting through occasionally.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Disagree with all of you. There's something to be learned by playing with pads and tackling at that age.

The first point I'll address though is the point made that coaches below the NFL don't care as much about concussions or other injuries. They care much more. Way more. It's at this age (but primarily at the next stage, say in the middle grades) they learn how to fall, roll, take hits. This age is also the primary stage in which a player learns whether he even likes being hit. Nobody likes being hit, but there are some kids who really can't take it. You'd rather learn that early than late when they're bigger and faster and crushing you or causing injury. These coaches care much more than any other coaches, and the level of caring decreases the higher in level you go, up until Pro. Yes, they're more amateur, but they also care much more because it's little Timmy down the street, as opposed to someone in college they recruited from across the country, or some pro player making more than the coach. One of the first things I learned playing ball at that age was how to take a hit, how to fall without causing injury (it's not as stupid as it sounds), and how to take hits.

No, you aren't learning form tackling, that's true, but this stage is to prepare players who enjoy the game and want to play it and learn from it as opposed to throwing them out there in junior high or high school when the kids are huge now frankly, and letting a dude find it out the hard way. These kids can get seriously injured without preparation, by high school these kids are really big nowdays, and can inflict damage. It's necessary to weed them and their parents out ahead of time.

I don't even remember any of all your other points, because I think it's so sissy. Concussions aren't sissy, no, but letting kids be kids is. You can't put them all in bubble-wrap and send them out to school. It's football. One of my favorite memories, honestly, even now, is when I was in 6th or 7th grade, and practicing football on our field, and a light snow started to fall, and it was one of my best memories of that year. I don't remember getting hit (and we used full pads and full contact). Funnest day of the year, and I loved all of my football years.

BA isn't ignorant Mitch (and others). Football can teach tools kids and students and even men can learn. How to be disciplined. How to be patient. How to work as a team. How to put others ahead of yourself. Those are all things it teaches. BA isn't a *******, he knows what he's talking about. You guys don't.

(And it should be noted, they're not wearing pads and helmets because they get hit hard, they're wearing pads and helmets in case they get hit hard)

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran the McClintock Pop Warner football program back in the mid 80's when my son was playing football. You had to be 8 to play and teams were formed by the player's weight, not his age. It was all tackle. We had great parents, talented kids and some really good coaches. It was a very rewarding experience for both the players and their parents. It was a lot of work and took many of my free hours, but it was very much worth the time and effort. I watched little kids go from being timid and retiring to confidant and gregarious. They learned teamwork and the ability to fend for themselves. I can't recall a single injury either in any of our players or any of the other teams in our league. Safety was paramount, equipment was inspected regularly and the equipment was professional quality. One of the cardinal rules and the one I strictly enforced is that EVERYONE got a certain amount of play time regardless of their skill level. Amazing how kids skill levels go up when they get actual playing time. It also helps to have coaches who can really coach and not just cheer lead. Emphasis was placed on winning and losing appropriately and the kids learned to be magnanimous in winning and gracious in losing. One of the great lessons in life and sorely lacking in today's culture.

What I'm trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with tackle football for younger players if you have people who have the safety of the child as first and foremost.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I ran the McClintock Pop Warner football program back in the mid 80's when my son was playing football. You had to be 8 to play and teams were formed by the player's weight, not his age. It was all tackle. We had great parents, talented kids and some really good coaches. It was a very rewarding experience for both the players and their parents. It was a lot of work and took many of my free hours, but it was very much worth the time and effort. I watched little kids go from being timid and retiring to confidant and gregarious. They learned teamwork and the ability to fend for themselves. I can't recall a single injury either in any of our players or any of the other teams in our league. Safety was paramount, equipment was inspected regularly and the equipment was professional quality. One of the cardinal rules and the one I strictly enforced is that EVERYONE got a certain amount of play time regardless of their skill level. Amazing how kids skill levels go up when they get actual playing time. It also helps to have coaches who can really coach and not just cheer lead. Emphasis was placed on winning and losing appropriately and the kids learned to be magnanimous in winning and gracious in losing. One of the great lessons in life and sorely lacking in today's culture.

What I'm trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with tackle football for younger players if you have people who have the safety of the child as first and foremost.

Great post.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Parents who let their single-digit kids play tackle football are terrible parents. Some tackle football team has practice at the fields by my house, and whenever I walk the dog by there, I just shake my head. Little kids can't give informed consent about getting their brains beaten in.

I couldn't disagree more. So at what age is it ok. From what you just said 9 is bad and 10 is ok? Plus you're say teenagers make better decisions? Do you really think a teenager will say pass because some adult tells them they can get hurt? If anything it will make them want to do it more.

There's nothing your kid is going to get in tackle football that they wouldn't get in flag football.

Except for how to hit and get hit before it's a 6'2" 240 pound kid coming to run you over. Just have kids play video games. Flag football is nothing like tackle.

Good post.

I will add IMO it's better than throwing a 15 year old kid out there with no experience playing with what could be kids 50 to 70 pounds bigger that know how to play. My son is now 13. He played his first year in flag. The next 4 seasons were all tackle. It's your job as a parent to have your kid on a team in a league that's right for him with a play safe weight balanced teams. If not pull your kid off the team. Going into middle school he is light years ahead of kids playing tackle for the first time. To play their first year of tackle in high school to me would be a lot more unsafe. The teams, league and coaches he has had IMO was good parenting and the right call.

Last edited:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I played Pop Warner and HS football, and when I found out my wife was pregnant, A thought that followed not too long after was "Man, I can't wait to watch him play football!"

I was positive it would be a boy, as my side of the family.. had produced boy's at about a 5 to 1 ratio going back 3 generations.

Lo and behold, we had a girl!

Somewhere between her birth and age 9, my wife and I decided we wouldn't push her into any sport, and let her decide.

Her first choice at age 7 was Jujitsu, because her friend was doing it.. Then when she was 9 or 10, she came home with a flyer for rec softball... She is now an 18 year old Collegiate catcher who plays with a linebacker's mentality, who saved us a small fortune on college tuition.

I would like to think I would have had the same wisdom with a son (let him decide himself, within reason)

But I couldn't say for certain that I wouldn't have signed him up for Pop Warner the second he was age eligible.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I love Arians but I think he should just stick to coaching and stop making comments about stuff like this.
Why? How come Arians isn't allowed to have an opinion on things? Just because it differs from yours, or what others think, he should shut up?

I love it when people speak their minds. What I hate is when somebody speaks their mind and then the PC police, or whoever, jumps in and then they retract or apologize for how they feel.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
As a follow out spoken Northern Jersey Citizen, I understand and respect BA's comment.

I even agree to it, to a point.

But, when you call out people about their kids, that is not going to be well received. Parents are just doing their best, and as they say, there is no manual.

I cannot stand the bubble wrap society, but I within that belief I make sure to respect the other side of that belief because, again, parents are just doing the best they can.

Could BA have said that better ? Yes. Would he ever say it any different ? Nope. That's BA, and I grew up in an area surrounded by them.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. So at what age is it ok. From what you just said 9 is bad and 10 is ok? Plus you're say teenagers make better decisions? Do you really think a teenager will say pass because some adult tells them they can get hurt? If anything it will make them want to do it more.

100% true story.

I was not allowed to play Pee-Wee football where I grew up. I was a HUGE kid for my age, so I was not allow to play football until I was a freshman in highschool.

And you know what ? I think that was the best way to handle it, because once I played on the freshman team, I was literally destroying the kids in front of me because I was twice their size, and just as fast as them.

I didn't realize it at the time, but if I had played when I was younger, I could have REALLY hurt someone. Not like a 6 week injury, I mean permanent.

I have played football and rugby, and I LOVED IT. I loved manhandling other human being, and smashing them into the ground. I loved the fact that all day long I had to listen, and respect people that didn't deserve it, and on the weekend, if I wanted something on the field, I just took it. If someone got hurt ? Oh well, we were all grown men, and if you make the decision to go on the field, then you take the risks.

Then there is rugby which takes the situation to an entirely different level, IMO. I still had some confidence issues when playing football, but one I played rugby, that is were I really developed confidence, team work, etc., etc. As the pompous, macho rugby guys like to say, "I grew out of my pads." I have a shoulder that is already starting to become a problem, a bad hip, at least 7 concussions, a fallen arch, and a broken wrist. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Best times of my life were when I was playing rugby, and it is not even comparable.

I also, played baseball, basketball, and bowling. Those just are not the same for me.

BUT, even then, I had my doubts about mixing grown-ass men, with teenagers. If anyone watches hockey, it is INSANE to put a 150lbs 19 year old out with men in their late 20's and 30's. Its is just asking for the 19 year old to get hurt, and many, many, many times that is exactly what happens.

Even when I was a 265lbs, 20 year beast, the 1st time I ever got hit hard by a grown man, it was quite a wake up call.

Thus I think you have to watch pit fighting younger kids against each other. Not saying don't do it, just be responsible and make sure there are no unneeded risks. Because I am old school about youth sports, meaning before you get to high school, winning is one of the things WAY WAY down the priority list for the coach of those teams. More important things in sports than getting a plastic trophey that in 10 years will be in the trash. Trophies are not what stays with you in life after sports.

See 40yearfan's post, that is what you want in a coach right there...............but I cannot imagine what his practices looked like, and must ask if the ball was made out of real pigskin back when he coached.

BTW - Gentlemen, this is the best thing I have read all morning. Well done and good discussion.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? How come Arians isn't allowed to have an opinion on things? Just because it differs from yours, or what others think, he should shut up?

I love it when people speak their minds. What I hate is when somebody speaks their mind and then the PC police, or whoever, jumps in and then they retract or apologize for how they feel.

It's one thing to have an opinion it's another to call out a segment of the population fools. Many of which are fans of his team and the man himself. It's not about being politically correct or having a different opinion. It seems as of late Arians is popping off (see CTE comment). Just because you can speak doesn't mean you always should. I played youth sports through High School (including Pop Warner football). I had a great experience, made friends, learned teamwork but I also got hurt, have a disc injury that never healed properly and a knee that bothered me through HS because of it. So, I get why a parent would be concerned about the sport. It's not for everyone and just because a parent has concerns about the long term safety of their kids doesn't make them "fools".

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son has played soccer for 5 years. Basically since he was about 4 years old. They always discouraged heading the ball at the younger ages. Now heading the ball is a penalty for ages 10 and under. Concussions are very serious for a developing brain.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk