Broadband Speeds

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have insight into the quality of Cox internet ?

Reliability wise I get a pretty good service from Qwest, I have their vDSL, 3mb down, about 800kb up.

I was looking at Cox as a possible upgrade but have several concerns

1. Shared Connection
  2. Powerboost. They seem utterly uninteresed in telling what the minimum is all they will talk about is powerboosted speeds. Real concerned about the base speed, what ever that is.
  3. Bandwidth caps. I was astounded to see Cox has caps, now I don't use p2p apps but I do work from home and I can't seem me signing up for anything that gas a cap.
Comments ?

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I really have nothing bad to say about Cox internet at all.
It's up 99'9% of the time. I have never really noticed any problems because of a "Shared Connection"
I routinely send files that are anywhere from four to eight megs using the Cox e-mail server. Anything above that I use my Gmail account with no problem.
I don't think there is a faster or more reliable alternative available in the valley.
This is a screenshot I just took from www.Speedtest.net

Attachments

• test 2.JPG
    test 2.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Personally, I love Cox Internet.

I have had it here at my house for about 3 years now, and in that time I have had one outage that consisted of less then 10 minutes. I remember at one point, their service was terrible, but they have really pulled it together in recent years. I called them once to ask them about installation of an additional cable jack, and they not only had someone out here the following morning, but apologized that no one was in the area to get to it same day.

I have no idea what "Powerboost" even is. I don't know if it works automatically or if you are supposed to install an Application. Unless it's a passive service, I don't use it. As for the cap, I don't know what the bandwidth cap is, but it must be pretty high. I download a lot from usenet and using "Down them All" download manager, I get between 2.5 and 3 Megabytes a second. I can pull down a full DVD (4.6 Gigs) in 40 minutes, so I would say that's pretty good. A regular 700mb CD takes about 2-3 minutes on average. I have friends that live in other states, and none of them have speed as good as mine with Cox. I live in a pretty densely populated area as well, but sharing connection hasn't been an issue for me so far. I would absolutely recommend Cox over Qwest. I had a Qwest DSL for about a year and I got rid of it because it was just way too slow.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Speed Test is kinda wierd. I got a much better speed from the Scottsdale server then from the Phoenix one. For some reason, I was pinging twice as high to Phoenix. Anyway, here is mine using Cox.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just tried the Scottsdale server and got about the same.
Evidently you have powerboost and I don't. :)

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
That would expalin it. I have the premium service, so I probably have it.

That number is probably deceptive though. If I understand Powerboost correctly it's a burst to finish up smaller downloads. I don't think I would get that speed for a long sustained download. Powerboost probably skews numbers on bandwidth tests. I get a similar speed to you if I use the Phoenix one.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Cox internet rocks. There is very little downtime and connecting to tech support has been historically quick. And they speak English!

It is a bit pricey, but worth the $50/mo IMO.

I can't match Darth Llama, but 11 mbps is more than screaming for me.

Plus you get personal webspace and a bunch of custom email addresses.

Attachments

• speedtest0815.jpg
    speedtest0815.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the bandwidth cap ?

There is nothing wrong with my vDSL but I can always use more speed but not if they limit usage.

Can't afford the risk as I use this to work from home on

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Personally, I've never heard of or experienced any kind of a cap and I've used a lot of bandwidth over the years.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Personally, I've never heard of or experienced any kind of a cap and I've used a lot of bandwidth over the years.

Me either. I have never head of Cox having a bandwidth cap. If they have one, it must be ridiculously high, because I have hit 3 Megs a second on downloads.

Nidan, who told you Cox had a cap?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me either. I have never head of Cox having a bandwidth cap. If they have one, it must be ridiculously high, because I have hit 3 Megs a second on downloads.

Nidan, who told you Cox had a cap?

They do have one. It is mostly implemented in apartment complexes though. From what I understand, they measure how much traffic you are using, and adjust it according. You won't see much of a cap, until you are downloading or uploading 10's of Gigs of data.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
They do have one. It is mostly implemented in apartment complexes though. From what I understand, they measure how much traffic you are using, and adjust it according. You won't see much of a cap, until you are downloading or uploading 10's of Gigs of data.

Wow, I never knew that. I guess I have never hit that cap. They must set the limit pretty high because I download A LOT of stuff. :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I never knew that. I guess I have never hit that cap. They must set the limit pretty high because I download A LOT of stuff. :D

It isn't a hard cap either. It will allow you to download, it will just lower your speed.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Limits

Limitations of Service
Updated 11/15/07
Cox offers packages of features that comprise the Cox High Speed Internet service (not all packages are available in all areas). Cox reserves the right to enforce limits on specific features of the Service including, without limitation, email storage and web hosting maximums. The following describes the current limitations of various offerings of the Cox High Speed Internet service. The limitations set forth herein are approximate and may vary from time to time.
Premier with PowerBoost Package
Feature Maximum Limit 1. Maximum downstream speed 1 10 - 20 megabits per second 2. Maximum upstream speed 1 1 - 2 megabits per second 3. Maximum monthly consumption cap 60 gigabytes downstream; 15 gigabytes upstream 4. Personal WebSpace account size 10 megabytes of disk space per User ID 5. Personal WebSpace traffic 300 megabytes of traffic per month (for visitors viewing your pages) Preferred with PowerBoost Package
Feature Maximum Limit 1. Maximum downstream speed 1 5 - 9 megabits per second 2. Maximum upstream speed 1 512 kilobits – 2 megabits per second 3. Maximum monthly consumption cap 40 gigabytes downstream; 10 gigabytes upstream 4. Personal WebSpace account size 10 megabytes of disk space per User ID 5. Personal WebSpace traffic 300 megabytes of traffic per month (for visitors viewing your pages) Value Package
Feature Maximum Limit 1. Maximum downstream speed 1 256 - 1,500 kilobits per second 2. Maximum upstream speed 1 256 - 384 kilobits per second 2 3. Maximum monthly consumption cap 4 gigabytes downstream; 1gigabyte upstream 4. Personal WebSpace account size 10 megabytes of disk space per User ID 5. Personal WebSpace traffic 300 megabytes of traffic per month (for visitors viewing your pages)
Economy Package
Feature Maximum Limit 1. Maximum downstream speed 1 512 - 768 kilobits per second 2. Maximum upstream speed 1 256 kilobits per second 3. Maximum monthly consumption cap 3 gigabytes downstream; 1gigabyte upstream 4. Personal WebSpace account size 10 megabytes of disk space per User ID 5. Personal WebSpace traffic 300 megabytes of traffic per month (for visitors viewing your pages) 1 Maximum download and upload speeds vary by community. Please visit your local area on Cox.com for information on the speeds offered at your location. 2 Value Plus service offered in limited areas provides 2,250 kilobits download. Electronic Mail
Feature Maximum Limit 1. Email boxes Seven (7), one for each primary and secondary User ID 2. Size of mailboxes 2 gigabytes per mailbox 3. Maximum message size 1 20 megabytes 4. Dormant mailbox locked 2 90 days from the last time mail was checked 5. Dormant mailbox deleted 3 120 days from the last time mail was checked 6. Unread message retention in
server inbox 4 60 days 7. Unread message retention in
server Spam folder 4 21 days 8. Email sending limits 5 To combat spam, Cox limits the maximum number of recipients per message and maximum number of messages per server connection. 1 Maximum Message Size: This is the largest email you can send, including attachments and encoding. Not all ISPs may accept messages of this size. Email messages larger than the currently available amount of space in your email box may be returned to sender as undeliverable. 2 Dormant Mailbox Locked: When a secondary mailbox is not checked for new email by its owner for at least 90 days, it is considered dormant and will be locked. New messages sent to a dormant mailbox will be returned as undeliverable. Dormant Mailboxes in a locked state can be reactivated by checking them via POP-3 (like using Outlook Express) or Webmail. 3 Dormant Mailbox Deleted: When a secondary mailbox is not checked for new email by its owner for at least 120 days (30 days after it is locked), the mailbox is deleted. Messages remaining in the mailbox at that time will also be deleted. New messages sent to a dormant mailbox that has been deleted will be returned as undeliverable. Customer will retain the rights to the associated User ID as long as they remain a customer and do not release the User ID. Dormant Mailboxes that have been deleted may be reactivated through Member Services. 4 Unread Message Retention in Server Inbox: Messages that remain in the Inbox on the server, marked as unread, for more than 60 days after receipt are subject to deletion without notice. Messages that remain in the Spam folder on the server, for more than 21 days after receipt are subject to deletion without notice. A message may be retained indefinitely by downloading it with a mail client, or moving it to an alternative folder in Webmail. 5 Maximum Number of Messages Per Connection: In order to control automated spam messages, you may not send multiple messages beyond the limited number in an automated fashion using a single connection to the server. Specific limits are not published because the vary from time to time depending on a variety of factors.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sort of work do you do from home, Nidan? I worked from home for two years, depending heavily on the internet & uploading & downloading fairly large amounts of data (hundreds of thousands of tiff images--well, millions, actually--pdfs, etc. for lawsuits) and I never had any kind of problem. I'm not a big fan of Cox (keep it clean, people!) but as far as I'm concerned, their internet service can't be beat.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That article said Cox put a limit of 2 gb per day...that just isn't so.

I have downloaded 10x that much in a day, easily, without issue. I'd have to look back at some of my files to see just how much, but I had many, many days where I was downloading & uploading data all day long.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cap the advertise equates to about 10-15 hours of downloading at their advertised speeds.

But in reading it they reserve the right to apply it [and if] as they see fit.

The info I posted was from Cox's fine print, you have to dig through several levels of tiny links to get to it.

Not sure the limit is a problem just concerns me given how dependent I am on the connection.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well qwest has bandwidth cap limits, too.

Linky

I've had Cox internet since 2003 and never received a complaint about bandwith usage. I work from home anywhere from 1-5 days a week and has never been an issue.

Unless you are hosting movies or P2P sharing songs this should not be a concern at all.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for such a document from Qwest, they are even better at hiding it that Cox.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm what would be described as a 'power' user Linderbee.

I have about every conceivable [except p2p torrent] service running here. VoIP phones using Asterisk, telecommuting, gaming, VPNs [including site to site vpn and SSL based], Sonicwall firewall and GB ethernet network around the house.

Looking at Cox they say you need a Cable modem, anybody have recommendations as I'd prefer to buy a good one as opposed to renting one from Cox.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cox internet rocks. Tried to run speedtest but it doesn't support 64 bit Vista. Two years with only one outage. Purchased the modem from them, it's not rented.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
ILooking at Cox they say you need a Cable modem, anybody have recommendations as I'd prefer to buy a good one as opposed to renting one from Cox.

I bought a Toshiba, sorry I don't know the model number, over ten years ago from Bust Buy and I haven't had any issues with it what so ever.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm what would be described as a 'power' user Linderbee.

I have about every conceivable [except p2p torrent] service running here. VoIP phones using Asterisk, telecommuting, gaming, VPNs [including site to site vpn and SSL based], Sonicwall firewall and GB ethernet network around the house.

Looking at Cox they say you need a Cable modem, anybody have recommendations as I'd prefer to buy a good one as opposed to renting one from Cox.

Yeah, don't rent. I believe Cox gives you a Motorola Surfboard cable modem (at least years ago they did) to rent, but they are only like $50-70 at Best Buy.

You can also get one from newegg.com under $100 that includes a wireless router.

Just go to www.newegg.com and search on "surfboard".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn