Bosa?? or Allen??

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is a valid question.

first off, you never spend the #1 overall pick on a guy who didnt play allllll year due to injury... that alone should drop Bosa to 10, there is just no way to know what you are getting. Most drafts it would drop a guy into the second round.

then you look at scheme fit. Bosa is a 4-3 DE...Allen is an actual 3-4 OLB... and while Bosa was quitting his studies to get ready for the draft back in october..... Josh Allen was racking up 17 sacks...SEVENTEEN

Josh Allen produced RIGHT NOW...not year before last

Allen can cover...."But Oak,...I want my pass rusher to rush the passer, not cover!"...no poo. but sometimes the scheme calls for the blitz to come up the middle or from the corner and that olb has to drop into coverage. when that happens, I would rather have a guy out there who can actually cover...otherwise we are gonna begetting smoked by RB's and TE's all season long. Coverage is a skill set, and it is part of being a 3-4 olb...then of course the guy has to be able to pin his ears back on third and 8 and go eat some QB.....did I mention that Josh Allen had 17 sacks while bosa sat out with an injury?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nick Bosa has played damn near 7 out of 8 seasons dating back to his Freshman year of high school. Not saying he’s ironman, but I think the “injury prone” label is being a bit overblown. Josh Allen is a guy who has absolutely no counters & still lacks consistent good hand usage. He has no plan on most of his rushes. I have seen him get absolutely stonewalled by the likes of Georgia & Florida because of these issues. He’s great athletically, but that can only get you so far. He’s a very good player, but I do not see “elite” with him. Production is okay, but traits still matter more. Hell, Jaylon Ferguson has the record for most sacks ever, but no one is clamoring him as a 1st rounder because he lacks elite traits. I see Josh Allen as a Anthony Barr-type than I do a Von Miller type. That is not worthy of a top 5, let alone top 1 pick.

Brian Burns should be receiving the hype that Josh Allen is getting.

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
first off, you never spend the #1 overall pick on a guy who didnt play allllll year due to injury... that alone should drop Bosa to 10, there is just no way to know what you are getting. Most drafts it would drop a guy into the second round.

Says who? If the Cardinals don't pick Bosa #1, the 49ers will rush to the podium to pick him. Not all injuries are evaluated the same way. Core muscle injuries don't tend to linger or have long-lasting effects. It's also not something that is going to affect his movement ability whatsoever going forward.

then you look at scheme fit. Bosa is a 4-3 DE...Allen is an actual 3-4 OLB... and while Bosa was quitting his studies to get ready for the draft back in october..... Josh Allen was racking up 17 sacks...SEVENTEEN

Josh Allen produced RIGHT NOW...not year before last

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bosa was on a ridiculous pace before his injury.

Allen can cover...."But Oak,...I want my pass rusher to rush the passer, not cover!"...no ****. but sometimes the scheme calls for the blitz to come up the middle or from the corner and that olb has to drop into coverage. when that happens, I would rather have a guy out there who can actually cover...otherwise we are gonna begetting smoked by RB's and TE's all season long. Coverage is a skill set, and it is part of being a 3-4 olb...then of course the guy has to be able to pin his ears back on third and 8 and go eat some QB.....did I mention that Josh Allen had 17 sacks while bosa sat out with an injury?

Do you know what else is a part of being a 3-4 OLB? Playing against the run. Bosa is head & shoulders above Josh Allen in that regard. I noticed you failed to mention that - probably because it didn't fit your narrative.

Nobody would take Josh Allen over Nick Bosa. Nobody.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Bosa took the rest of the year off to focus on NFL as well. I suspect he'll test out clean medically at the combine and put the injury narrative to rest.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
So here is the question, who is going to be the consensus pro bowler not named Bosa or Allen? I say this because there is a good chance, as with the draft, that the crap shoot of measurables does not always add up or even game tape from so many different levels of college ball due to the division, conference, scheme and players surrounding a guy. We all know that 'that guy' is out there lol

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trade down - Clelin Ferrell - better fit for 3-4 DE. Resign Golden. 2nd rd on Marquis Brown , trade extra 2nd for Antonio Brown. Sign Mosley and Levitre . Super Bowl.

#whiskeyisdelicious

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Trade down - Clelin Ferrell - better fit for 3-4 DE. Resign Golden. 2nd rd on Marquis Brown , trade extra 2nd for Antonio Brown. Sign Mosley and Levitre . Super Bowl.

#whiskeyisdelicious
We're not playing Bosa at 3-4 DE. He'll play OLB.

Something critically bad is going to have to happen for Bosa to fall from being the top pick.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Most experts who know a lot more FB than I do, say Bosa is better, so I'll go with Nick. But I've football long enough to know that even experts are often wrong.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Honestly it has to be Bosa.

But if we were to get Allen, I wouldn't be too upset.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Your argument is irrational oaken. Allen has had one great year. Bosa has been great every year he has played. So far, every evaluator has said Bosa is the best football player in this draft, regardless of position.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're not playing Bosa at 3-4 DE. He'll play OLB.

Something critically bad is going to have to happen for Bosa to fall from being the top pick.

What makes Bosa so valuable is that he is an elite pass rusher who is versatile and can play multiple positions. That would give the Cardinals the ability to move Bosa all over the place and continue to give the opposing offense new looks.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bosa + Chandler Jones make a D very versatile and have many different looks.

That said, if Bosa is healthy he may be better than his brother and than you have 2 3-4 OLB that can play 3-4 DE too and that makes up for a lot of scary combinations in a pass happy league.

After I watched some games now, I would love to see round 1 Bosa and round 3 Sutton but ... someone only can dream XD. Suitton is a DE/OLB so with the likes of Chandler Jones, Nick Bosa, Sutton Smith you would have 3 Players that can interchange the position and be a threat werever they play. That makes a O honest.

But we will see, for not drafting Bosa for me it needs a huge deal.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bosa + Chandler Jones make a D very versatile and have many different looks.

That said, if Bosa is healthy he may be better than his brother and than you have 2 3-4 OLB that can play 3-4 DE too and that makes up for a lot of scary combinations in a pass happy league.

After I watched some games now, I would love to see round 1 Bosa and round 3 Sutton but ... someone only can dream XD. Suitton is a DE/OLB so with the likes of Chandler Jones, Nick Bosa, Sutton Smith you would have 3 Players that can interchange the position and be a threat werever they play. That makes a O honest.

But we will see, for not drafting Bosa for me it needs a huge deal.
Sutton isn’t a OLB in the league at all.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Neither.

Every effort needs to be made to trade down.

We don't need a pass rusher nearly as badly as we need almost everything else.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sutton isn’t a OLB in the league at all.
Sutton is a 3-4 DE in the league, but he could be a occasional 3-4 OLB clearly not top notch, but to give a different look? Oh yes Sir.

Go watch some tape on Sutton and you will be impressed.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sutton is a 3-4 DE in the league, but he could be a occasional 3-4 OLB clearly not top notch, but to give a different look? Oh yes Sir.

Go watch some tape on Sutton and you will be impressed.
I have.

Dude is 6’1 230lbs.

That’s a ILB, not a OLB.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Don`t fart around and overthink this by trying to weasel more picks from some team and end up crapping the bed.take Bosa (my pick).Just do it or Quinnen Williams.Don`t try and get cute and outsmart everybody.Just take one of those two guys (BOSA).

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Bosa be at combine or just private workout?

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The situation favors Bosa. Allen plays the same position as Chandler Jones.

Bosa will be playing inside shoulder of the tackle in the one gap scheme then shifting outside shoulder in obvious passing downs. He is a drop in replacement for departing free agent Marcus Golden.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score