Books for Kids?

AZZenny

Reaction score
My 12-year-old grandson likes to read, and probably reads a year or so beyond his age. He has done the Harry Potters and most other popular kid's series, and his mother (and I) would like to nudge him into some classics as well as some broader variety of topics. He's a very sweet-tempered, rather shy boy with a nice sense of humor. Not very competitive, not especially into major sports -- a little soccer, good in Karate, likes music.

So reader guys -- what youth classics or other youth books did you especially enjoy around Junior High age? Any sports hero books, inventors, inspiring military or history stories? I'd love to get him interested in history and foreign cultures and places. Any of you parents or others with suggestions, please! Help me out.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
My 12-year-old grandson likes to read, and probably reads a year or so beyond his age. He has done the Harry Potters and most other popular kid's series, and his mother (and I) would like to nudge him into some classics as well as some broader variety of topics. He's a very sweet-tempered, rather shy boy with a nice sense of humor. Not very competitive, not especially into major sports -- a little soccer, good in Karate, likes music.

So reader guys -- what youth classics or other youth books did you especially enjoy around Junior High age? Any sports hero books, inventors, inspiring military or history stories? I'd love to get him interested in history and foreign cultures and places. Any of you parents or others with suggestions, please! Help me out.

The S.E. Hinton books are great.

http://www.sehinton.com/books/index.html

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you said history and foreign culture, here's a suggestion. I remember reading (and enjoying) Escape From Warsaw (quick Wikipedia check says that the original book title was The Silver Sword) back in junior high, which is about a family in Poland that gets split up during WWII. Kids his age shouldn't have any trouble reading it and even though its a wartime story it doesn't have anything in it you wouldn't want a kid that age to read.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Giver
To Kill A Mockingbird

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Middle school is when I started reading fantasy books. Basically anything with Elves, Dragons, Swords, and monsters is an interesting read at that age and beyond.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about Eleven Seconds? It's the story about Travis Roy, the BU hockey player who was paralyzed within 11 seconds of his debut game.

Or Miracle in the Making: The Adam Taliaferro Story?

I've been meaning to read both of these books, but haven't gotten around to them.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
books

I'm a 6th grade teacher. 11 year old, likes Harry Potter.. reads a bit above grade level...

Good books of all types:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: L. Frank Baum(quite a bit different from the movie, good news is, if he likes it.. there is a long series of Oz books written by L.Frank.Baum and after the first one they are a bit easier to read and a bit more children oriented).

Magic Kingdom For Sale: Sold. Terry Brooks. This was a series that got me into reading when I was about 11. Good reading level, a bit easier read than his Shannarah series.

Ender's Game: Orson Scott Card. Quickly becoming a classic in the literary sense, in addition to the fact this is a stunningly great book that I recommend to anyone who does not put a limit on what children are capable of.

The Giver: Lois Lowry. A recently written instant classic. This one you probably want to pre-read so you can discuss it with them. Its a bit heavy, but fits your criteria

The Magic of Xanth: Piers Anthony. If the child likes plays on words and is fairly clever with puns (or at least enjoys them) the first half dozen books or so in this series are excellent. A bit easier reading level than most of the others above.. and this incredibly long series does get weird as it goes into its millionth book..but the first 5-10 are excellent children's books. If they enjoy it, the Apprentice Adept series is a bit more mature, but also excellent. (the first 3 at least, the second series of 4 gets into that 'weird' stage that Anthony seems to do with his series when they get too long). If they are into mythology at all, the Incarnations of Immortality series is also quite good, especially the first book "On a Pale Horse" which is about the the incarnation of death.

The Watsons go to Birmingham: Christopher Paul Curtis. This is a racially sensitive book... its historical fiction of a sort discussing the issues faced by blacks in 1963. I actually use this one in my classroom. Incredibly funny book with a few racially charged moments. Its a solid 6th grade reading level, so if the student is a bit lower than you indicated they might struggle with it alone.

Just a few thoughts.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always loved "Where the Red Fern Grows".

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Ender's Game: Orson Scott Card. Quickly becoming a classic in the literary sense, in addition to the fact this is a stunningly great book that I recommend to anyone who does not put a limit on what children are capable of.

When I was about your Grandson's age, I found this book to be amazing. I have given this book to my pre-teen sons and they both loved it as much as I did.

The story is about pre-teens but not written for that reading level. I have heard this book is required reading at West Point.

If he enjoys it, there are a number of books Card has written with the Ender character. You won't have to wonder which book he to give him next.

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a 6th grade teacher. 11 year old, likes Harry Potter.. reads a bit above grade level...

Good books of all types:

+1
Magic Kingdom For Sale: Sold. Terry Brooks. This was a series that got me into reading when I was about 11. Good reading level, a bit easier read than his Shannarah series.

++1

++1
The Magic of Xanth: Piers Anthony. If the child likes plays on words and is fairly clever with puns (or at least enjoys them) the first half dozen books or so in this series are excellent. A bit easier reading level than most of the others above.. and this incredibly long series does get weird as it goes into its millionth book..but the first 5-10 are excellent children's books. If they enjoy it, the Apprentice Adept series is a bit more mature, but also excellent. (the first 3 at least, the second series of 4 gets into that 'weird' stage that Anthony seems to do with his series when they get too long). If they are into mythology at all, the Incarnations of Immortality series is also quite good, especially the first book "On a Pale Horse" which is about the the incarnation of death.

Just a few thoughts.

I agree with these as I have read them in my past, all very good.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson