Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury biopic)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This kid is great so I have no complaints but man, reading that article made me wonder how this would have looked with Sasha Baron Cohen, that could have been amazing!

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This kid is great so I have no complaints but man, reading that article made me wonder how this would have looked with Sasha Baron Cohen, that could have been amazing!
Agreed. Both are great options, but Cohen really seemed like a natural fit for the role.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hmmm, I dont like it.

I like the kid, and hes a great actor...but hes naturally better for the schizoid, awkward role. Very isolated. Very small spoken.

Mercury was flamboyant and ostentatious. HUGE personality. Cohen wouldve been perfect for that role.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox Fired Bryan Singer, but It Won’t Be Able to Remove Him as the Director of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/bohemian-rhapsody-bryan-singer-director-credit-dga-fox-1201903892/

A series of stories about the chaotic set of “Bohemian Rhapsody” culminated with the announcement that 20th Century Fox has fired director Bryan Singer. Reports of Singer’s “erratic” behavior include fighting with lead actor Rami Malek, the director not showing up on set (veteran cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel reportedly stepping into the role), and after the Thanksgiving holiday, Singer disappearing completely, leaving a representative to cite a “personal health matter” concerning the director and a family member as the reason for his absence.

All of this is set against a backdrop in which many of Hollywood’s most powerful men have been brought down by allegations of sexual harassment and assault. Hollywood is a different place than it was over a year ago, when Fox started working with Singer to develop the long-simmering biopic about Queen frontman Freddie Mercury. Singer has faced his own past allegations of sexual harassment, abuse and pedophilia, significant enough that students at the USC School of Cinematic Arts formally requested his name be removed from the Bryan Singer Division of Cinema & Media Studies. (The school said it would take the matter “very seriously.”)

While Fox has the ability buy out Singer’s pay-or-play contract and replace him with someone who will finish the film — as it apparently did this week — the studio cannot change the directing credits on “Bohemian Rhapsody.” No matter who brings the film through post, it will likely be a film directed by — and only by — Bryan Singer.

For decades, the Director’s Guild of America has had an ironclad clause in its studio contracts that states there will always be one director per movie (directing partnerships like the Coen Brothers are seen as one entity), with the DGA as the sole arbiter that decides the official “director” of a film. The DGA also maintains the right to step in and make that decision regarding the director credit at any point in the process.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fox Fired Bryan Singer, but It Won’t Be Able to Remove Him as the Director of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/bohemian-rhapsody-bryan-singer-director-credit-dga-fox-1201903892/

A series of stories about the chaotic set of “Bohemian Rhapsody” culminated with the announcement that 20th Century Fox has fired director Bryan Singer. Reports of Singer’s “erratic” behavior include fighting with lead actor Rami Malek, the director not showing up on set (veteran cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel reportedly stepping into the role), and after the Thanksgiving holiday, Singer disappearing completely, leaving a representative to cite a “personal health matter” concerning the director and a family member as the reason for his absence.

All of this is set against a backdrop in which many of Hollywood’s most powerful men have been brought down by allegations of sexual harassment and assault. Hollywood is a different place than it was over a year ago, when Fox started working with Singer to develop the long-simmering biopic about Queen frontman Freddie Mercury. Singer has faced his own past allegations of sexual harassment, abuse and pedophilia, significant enough that students at the USC School of Cinematic Arts formally requested his name be removed from the Bryan Singer Division of Cinema & Media Studies. (The school said it would take the matter “very seriously.”)

While Fox has the ability buy out Singer’s pay-or-play contract and replace him with someone who will finish the film — as it apparently did this week — the studio cannot change the directing credits on “Bohemian Rhapsody.” No matter who brings the film through post, it will likely be a film directed by — and only by — Bryan Singer.

For decades, the Director’s Guild of America has had an ironclad clause in its studio contracts that states there will always be one director per movie (directing partnerships like the Coen Brothers are seen as one entity), with the DGA as the sole arbiter that decides the official “director” of a film. The DGA also maintains the right to step in and make that decision regarding the director credit at any point in the process.

Kinda sounds like this whole project should be scrapped.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like this whole project should be scrapped.

With just two weeks of shooting left? Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face for the studio.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is either going to be a disaster or fantastic. It's very, very dicey to make a movie about someone like Freddie Mercury. First of all, he was a once in a century talent. Second of all, people still love him. Get it wrong, even a little bit, people will hate it.

This is a Mercury biopic, but the band wanted it to focus more on Queen. They did not want the sex and drugs part of the Mercury story, which Cohen wanted to do. Which, would actually be the truth. According to Cohen, the band wanted Mercury to die about halfway through and then the rest of movie would be Queen's return to glory with Paul Rodgers and then Adam Lambert. Queen are the Producers of the movie, so yes, they had a say.

If Cohen is right, this movie will bomb. Hopefully, they changed their minds. Unless they want people streaming out of the theater before the movie is over.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is either going to be a disaster or fantastic. It's very, very dicey to make a movie about someone like Freddie Mercury. First of all, he was a once in a century talent. Second of all, people still love him. Get it wrong, even a little bit, people will hate it.

This is a Mercury biopic, but the band wanted it to focus more on Queen. They did not want the sex and drugs part of the Mercury story, which Cohen wanted to do. Which, would actually be the truth. According to Cohen, the band wanted Mercury to die about halfway through and then the rest of movie would be Queen's return to glory with Paul Rodgers and then Adam Lambert. Queen are the Producers of the movie, so yes, they had a say.

If Cohen is right, this movie will bomb. Hopefully, they changed their minds. Unless they want people streaming out of the theater before the movie is over.

Oh wow, that could be an epic disaster.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the interview where he said it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

All I can hope is that they came to their senses and decided they actually want to make money off this and tell the true story at least to some extent. But, the band also wanted it to be a "family movie" without an "R" rating.

The trailer is all about Freddie, let's hope that's the story they decided to tell. I mean, I saw Queen with Rodgers, and yes, the music sounded pretty good (although there is no way to replace Mercury), but damn if I want to see that in a movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh my lord... no one gives a crap about Queen post Mercury.

There’s no way that’s what the second half of the movie ended up being. And if it is, it’s gonna be super lame.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the interview where he said it.

All I can hope is that they came to their senses and decided they actually want to make money off this and tell the true story at least to some extent. But, the band also wanted it to be a "family movie" without an "R" rating.

The trailer is all about Freddie, let's hope that's the story they decided to tell. I mean, I saw Queen with Rodgers, and yes, the music sounded pretty good (although there is no way to replace Mercury), but damn if I want to see that in a movie.

Lol... a family movie? There’s no way Malek takes a star role only to die halfway through.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That trailer makes it pretty clear the movie is about Mercury.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That trailer makes it pretty clear the movie is about Mercury.

That's what I think also. Surely Cohen quitting had to make the people putting the money into this rethink their idea? Right, cheese? You're the Hollywood guy.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Can't wait for this one! Hopefully they didn't clean it up too much and kept to the truth.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bohemian Rhapsody

Release date: November 2, 2018
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Bryan Singer
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for thematic elements, suggestive material, drug content and language)
Screenwriters: Peter Morgan, Anthony McCarten
Genre: Drama, Music, Biography

Starring: Rami Malek, Lucy Boynton, Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy, Joseph Mazzello, Aiden Gillen, Tom Hollander, Mike Myers

Plot Summary: "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a foot-stomping celebration of Queen, their music and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury, who defied stereotypes and shattered convention to become one of the most beloved entertainers on the planet. The film traces the meteoric rise of the band through their iconic songs and revolutionary sound, their near-implosion as Mercury's lifestyle spirals out of control, and their triumphant reunion on the eve of Live Aid, where Mercury, facing a life-threatening illness, leads the band in one of the greatest performances in the history of rock music. In the process, cementing the legacy of a band that were always more like a family, and who continue to inspire outsiders, dreamers and music lovers to this day.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I saw this today. Absolutely loved it. Casting was great. Rami Malek (Freddie Mercury) was amazing as was Gwilym Lee (Brian May). Highly recommend seeing this film.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Saw it last night. I was kinda ... don't know ... underwhelmed? Maybe my expectations were too high, lol. They kinda cleaned it up regarding his personal life in the early years and he was definitely conflicted about his sexuality.

Mr. Malek seemed uncomfortable in his prosthetic teeth and it was distracting me. He nailed him though in the last scene which was Live Aid 1985.

The Elton John biopic looks interesting also!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson