OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A New Hope is the best movie of all of them, but the Harry Potter SERIES, as a whole, is much better than the Star Wars series, to date.

Star Wars (later named A New Hope) will always have a special place in my heart because of how amazed I was when I first saw it. Groundbreaking stuff at the time followed by the onslaught of toys and collectibles over the years. Definitely stirred the imagination of countless people. That universe has been a part of my daily life for nearly 41 years. so it will always rule over anything else. The original trilogy will always reign over any Star Wars movies that follow. Just difficult to recapture that time again. Great things were happening with ILM/Lucasfilm. I wish there had not been so many years between the original trilogy and the prequels...and now the ongoing sequels. I feel better films could have been made while the original cast were still younger.

I'm optimistic moving forward with planned out trilogies, etc. and hope these new directors can pull off some amazing tales. I just hope they are original and don't just retread previous films.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Star Wars (later named A New Hope) will always have a special place in my heart because of how amazed I was when I first saw it. Groundbreaking stuff at the time followed by the onslaught of toys and collectibles over the years. Definitely stirred the imagination of countless people. That universe has been a part of my daily life for nearly 41 years. so it will always rule over anything else. The original trilogy will always reign over any Star Wars movies that follow. Just difficult to recapture that time again. Great things were happening with ILM/Lucasfilm. I wish there had not been so many years between the original trilogy and the prequels...and now the ongoing sequels. I feel better films could have been made while the original cast were still younger.

I'm optimistic moving forward with planned out trilogies, etc. and hope these new directors can pull off some amazing tales. I just hope they are original and don't just retread previous films.
I think it’s amazing that you haven’t seen Harry Potter, and you wear that fact like it’s some point of honor or something. Why is that?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s amazing that you haven’t seen Harry Potter, and you wear that fact like it’s some point of honor or something. Why is that?

I'm not against seeing them, but for some reason, my wife never cared to...so we just skipped them. For me, I'd probably read all of the books before seeing the films. Grew up reading a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, so I'm sure I'd like the series.

BTW: Won a DVD/Blu-Ray of Avatar. Still sealed on our shelf. Missed it in the theaters and still haven't seen it. Wanted to see it for the effects but heard from people that saw it that the story kind of stunk.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not against seeing them, but for some reason, my wife never cared to...so we just skipped them. For me, I'd probably read all of the books before seeing the films. Grew up reading a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, so I'm sure I'd like the series.

BTW: Won a DVD/Blu-Ray of Avatar. Still sealed on our shelf. Missed it in the theaters and still haven't seen it. Wanted to see it for the effects but heard from people that saw it that the story kind of stunk.
The story is Ferngully. That’s it. Nothing subversive but worth checking out for the visuals at least.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is a great series to read - one comment - JK Rowling grows tremendously as a writer through the series - first book is more at a teen level, but as the characters age, the writing matures as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The story is Ferngully. That’s it. Nothing subversive but worth checking out for the visuals at least.

I think on a TV screen, it'll be pretty underwhelming.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think on a TV screen, it'll be pretty underwhelming.

Next year it'll be the 10th anniversary and some theaters will probably play it again on their big screen. Maybe we'll catch it then. LOL

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting conundrum. (By the way ESB is the best one) My homeboy George Lucas was not very creative when it came to story telling. He was never going to be a Dickens or a Hemingway. His story of farm boy saves princess from evil overlord has been done a gazillion and twenty three times. So,..can SW compete with Harry Potter in the realms of story and character development? No.

George didnt tell a horribly creative story. What George did was create an infinitely creative universe to tell stories within. Unfortunately for George Hollywood was greatly lacking in the tools to tell his stories properly. So George created a new company, Industrial Light and Magic, to advance the effects technology in Hollywood so he could tell his stories on the big screen where they were designed to be.

For forty years ILM has been pushing the boundaries of special effects technology and making movie magic in Hollywood better than any other. This of course pushed others to also increase their tech so they could stay competitive. What resulted from this competition is the fantastic special effects we see every day now even on regular television.

What resulted was Harry Potter. A well written story of a group of young wizards dodging various hazards as they faced the world. A fantastic story that never would have made it past the first movie if the flying books had to be bounced around the set with piano strings. A fantastic story that would have been a colossal flop if all the amazing magical creatures had been made of costume fur and paper mache'.

George had a dream. But had to create entirely new technologies to see his dream come to life. We can see the progressions of that dream throughout the SW trilogies. When we watch ANH and see how poorly it was done it is hard to remember that it was truly fantastic in its time. But the Harry Potter movies never would have happened without it.

Good post, Oak. :thumbup:

Harry Potter just never did it for me. Not a hater, just not my cup of tea. The couple of movies I saw were fine, I just never connected to the characters enough to care to see what happened next.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Good post, Oak. :thumbup:

Harry Potter just never did it for me. Not a hater, just not my cup of tea. The couple of movies I saw were fine, I just never connected to the characters enough to care to see what happened next.
I think in order to connect with the characters in HP, you really need to see the movies in order...get to know the kids when they are younger... seeing how Harry is treated at home creates a more sympathetic appeal and helps to explain his passive nature and insecurities.
a series like that, its important to remember, isnt 8 separate stories...its one story broken into 8 parts...so watching from the beginning is important for continuity as well as character development.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interestingly I enjoyed the first 5 Harry Potter’s but then they all just kinda merged into one long boring meh for me.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly I enjoyed the first 5 Harry Potter’s but then they all just kinda merged into one long boring meh for me.

I can see that - I don't care for Book 5 as much, Book 6 I enjoy. Book 7 was a good read first time through, but she got GRRM disease and tried to cram too much into it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can see that - I don't care for Book 5 as much, Book 6 I enjoy. Book 7 was a good read first time through, but she got GRRM disease and tried to cram too much into it.
I love all the books. 5 is extremely long, but since I love the world so much, I don't mind hanging out in it longer than normal. Like it is with most books, a lot of the side stuff in the longer books is tougher to swallow. Book 5 is especially guilty of this. There is an entire major subplot that the movie doesn't even mention.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love all the books. 5 is extremely long, but since I love the world so much, I don't mind hanging out in it longer than normal. Like it is with most books, a lot of the side stuff in the longer books is tougher to swallow. Book 5 is especially guilty of this. There is an entire major subplot that the movie doesn't even mention.

Book 5 makes me physically sick. Seriously. The way that Umbridge treats Harry, and Minister Fudge, etc - reading effects me so much I get ill.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going on forever is not really the problem. I am happy about that. The problem is making sure that you don't churn and burn. You do that, you will get movie fatigue and nobody will care about the brand. All I have heard for the last 4 years is there will be Super Hero burnout. Yet, if a movie is good fans are still seeing them.

Same goes with Star Wars. If they don't want to ruin it, take your time, make a quality product and I could care less how many movies they make. Seeing Star Wars movies is still "an event". Just don't screw it up by releasing two movies a year with 3 TV Shows all at the same time or you will.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard