Black Monday - 2024

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Just like he was scapegoated when he was here, right?
Sometimes, they are just bad coaches. Even with the couple of down years we have had in 22/23, it never felt as bad as it was that one year with Wilks.
No, I don't equate the two situations at all. Head coaching and coordinating are different gigs. I was glad he was fired here.

In this situation, he took the fall. It's not like he made all these terrible calls and decisions and made it easy on the Chiefs to rally. Personally, I would say Shanahan had a worse game coaching. But he's not going down.

But, whatever. I don't really care.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No, I don't equate the two situations at all. Head coaching and coordinating are different gigs. I was glad he was fired here.

In this situation, he took the fall. It's not like he made all these terrible calls and decisions and made it easy on the Chiefs to rally. Personally, I would say Shanahan had a worse game coaching. But he's not going down.

Wilks defense held the Chefs to 19 in regulation! That has to be good enough! A fine job by SW in my opinion.

Love the instability for the whiners though. Need more. Need them to have a big time super bowl hangover.

Last edited:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The 9ers lucked out all post season. They should have lost to both GB and Det. The 49er defense was horrible against Detroit for the first half. I have no idea what Detroit was doing on offense in the second half but that game should have been a blow out. Detroit had like 150 rushing yards in 1st half and then stopped running. I don't think it had anything to do with Wilks making adjustments. The Lions just blew it.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly think he is being scapegoated here.
Not at all. The 49ers D did a great job in the first half of the Super Bowl; not so much in the 2nd half and OT. But overall this season, the 49ers D took a big step back. As The Athletic writes:
The 49ers simply regressed too much defensively under Wilks. They’d ranked No. 1 EPA per play in 2022 under Ryans before dropping to No. 12 this season. Their run defense took the most severe tumble, from No. 2 to No. 26. This wasn’t acceptable to Shanahan, especially since the 49ers maintained most of their key personnel between seasons and even added star defensive tackle Javon Hargrave.
Even more than that... I think it was just a matter of Wilks & Shanahan not being on the same page / communicating well (cf. Shanahan ordering Wilks out of the booth and into the sideline around mid season) and Wilks' defensive philosophy and coaching skills not fitting in with the 49ers' personnel.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Greenlaw’s freak injury changed the defense in the second half. Wasnt Wilk’s fault and he had to improvise.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shanny overruling Wilks in one play sealed the deal. So disrespectful

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honestly think he is being scapegoated here.
I agree. All was good when they were at times running roughshod over most of the league this year and looking pretty good defensively while doing it. I'm not a Wilks fan in the least but I feel bad for him this time around and how he got tossed out in Carolina.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not at all. The 49ers D did a great job in the first half of the Super Bowl; not so much in the 2nd half and OT. But overall this season, the 49ers D took a big step back. As The Athletic writes:

Even more than that... I think it was just a matter of Wilks & Shanahan not being on the same page / communicating well (cf. Shanahan ordering Wilks out of the booth and into the sideline around mid season) and Wilks' defensive philosophy and coaching skills not fitting in with the 49ers' personnel.
This is it. Sometimes it is just not the right fit regardless of the results. Wilks seems to rub some people the wrong way so this shouldn't be a shock.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
And yet people complained that Kliff didn't do it enough here. Nothing disrespectful about it.
Not disrespectful necessarily however when changing the play to what you want doesn't work it's a little disingenuous to them blame the defensive coach...at least IMO it is.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not disrespectful necessarily however when changing the play to what you want doesn't work it's a little disingenuous to them blame the defensive coach...at least IMO it is.
Are there quotes of Shanahan blaming the Super Bowl loss on Wilks?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard