Black Monday - 2024

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It was pretty clear that WIlks was not the right fit in SF.
That team was stacked with talent - of course they should be great. There were times during the year, they didn't play well.
In the SB - Wilks called a "cover 0" against Mahomes and that's why Shanahan called the timeout. That shouldn't happen.

Wilks last 6 years:

2018 - Cardinals
2019 - Browns
2020 - no job
2021 - Missouri DC
2022 - Panthers
2023 - 49ers

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Eh it's not crazy wrong. Shanahan is developing a "choker" reputation. The fact that the team didn't seem to even realize that each team got a possession is kind of damning.
A choker reputation...lol. Dude has lost twice to a guy who may push Brady for best of all time, once in OT. I know you aren't necessarily saying this but it is a dumb narrative.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
If you had to pick a head coach to win one game in order to save your mum's life, would you choose:

A. Kliff Kingsbury

B. Steve Wilks

????

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, I don't equate the two situations at all. Head coaching and coordinating are different gigs. I was glad he was fired here.

In this situation, he took the fall. It's not like he made all these terrible calls and decisions and made it easy on the Chiefs to rally. Personally, I would say Shanahan had a worse game coaching. But he's not going down.

But, whatever. I don't really care.
I literally said as I watched Mahomes and the Chiefs struggle that if the Niners win Wilks would emerge looking like new money. He really did his job, yet takes the fall. I don't dislike the man. I hope he gets a new job ASAP.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That Kyle is parting with Wilks because he is trying to make Wilks the scapegoat.
I think it's only partially true and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I seriously doubt he parts with Wilks if they win that game, but Wilks also didn't exactly elevate a star studded defense. It wasn't that long ago that we watched our beloved Cardinals beat that defensive front down like red headed stepchildren.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think it's only partially true and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I seriously doubt he parts with Wilks if they win that game, but Wilks also didn't exactly elevate a star studded defense. It wasn't that long ago that we watched our beloved Cardinals beat that defensive front down like red headed stepchildren.
I think he does. Sometimes people don't see eye to eye and Kyle has a strong personality. I believe it was truly just a bad fit.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think that it is dumb. The d gives up the game winning drive in OT pretty easily. The next day or so he's fired. Even if it is or isn't, it LOOKS like it
Exactly...it might not be true, but there is the perception that it is true.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson