Bills Fan, Rosen Fan, Very Torn..

Nematocyte

Reaction score
Oh boy, where to begin...

I've been a Bills fan since I was a kid, most of my family was born in the Buffalo area and though I only lived there as a toddler, I've made no fewer than 2 dozen visits over my lifetime (I'm 33 now). I've never jumped onto any tables from the top of an SUV nor have I lit myself on fire (while jumping onto a table), but trust me when I say I'm as passionate a Buffalo fan as they rationally come.

Rosen was my guy. He still is my guy. The last time I had a feeling this intensely about any QB in the NFL was when Manning played at Tennessee, and this includes Andrew Luck. I really thought [hoped] Buffalo would take him and when I heard Goddell read the wrong Josh's name, I was in disbelief. This idea that superior arm strength being a necessity in a cold weather environment is a myth (see: Tom Brady) and I know Buffalo's management was sold on those kind of measurables.

Me? I'm sold on intelligence, throwing mechanics, pocket presence and the ability to mentally dissect what you see in front of you in the quickest possible amount of time. I think Allen is going to be a far less successful version of Big Ben and with Aaron Rodgers taking to Rosen and indeed working with him in the offseason, I think Rosen will evolve into a kind of Brady/Rodgers hybrid. If he stays healthy and learns to avoid contact, he's going to be amazing.

I'll never stop being a Buffalo fan, it feels as much a part of me as my eye color. But I'm rooting for Rosen--and by extension your Cardinals--like I've never rooted for anything non-Buffalo-sports related in my life. I've gone from deriding "fans" of dual NFL teams to awkwardly finding myself in that very position, abjectly hopeless and lost and confused yet paradoxically hopeful and optimistic as I add the Rosen Cardinals jersey to my shopping cart.

Do I click 'preorder'? Can I, a man who has loyally and faithfully stood by his team since learning to tie his shoes, abandon the principles of fanhood I've held dear and true for nearly 3 decades?

The future is bright, dear Cardinals fans, very bright indeed, and you may one day see this lost soul standing beside you in soladarity at the University of Phoenix Stadium proudly wearing an Arizona Cardinals jersey with Rosen across his back while solemnly donned with a Bills hat atop his head.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They are in different conferences man so its cool. I grew up a Raiders fan and still support the silver and black. I just bleed Cardinal red.

my apologies on your Bills.... way back in the day the Raiders hit the nfl like a tornado one year, they were a total juggernaut. Unil they met the Bills in the afc championship where they were destroyed 51-3...it was so brutal, my remote was four inches from my hand and I just could not turn it off.
So I cursed the Bills to never win a super bowl until the Raiders did...Buffalo went four times in a row. they were clearly the best team in the NFL during that stretch. but the curse held true. The good news for ya though is that Gruden may have them back in the big game in a couple years.....so there is hope you may yet see your team win a Lombardy.

we dont have that...apparently the Pottsville curse doesnt have such clear parameters

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh boy, where to begin...

I've been a Bills fan since I was a kid, most of my family was born in the Buffalo area and though I only lived there as a toddler, I've made no fewer than 2 dozen visits over my lifetime (I'm 32 now). I've never jumped onto any tables from the top of an SUV nor have I lit myself on fire (while jumping onto a table), but trust me when I say I'm as passionate a Buffalo fan as they rationally come.

Rosen was my guy. He still is my guy. The last time I had a feeling this intensely about any QB in the NFL was when Manning played at Tennessee, and this includes Andrew Luck. I really thought [hoped] Buffalo would take him and when I heard Goddell read the wrong Josh's name, I was in disbelief. This idea that superior arm strength being a necessity in a cold weather environment is a myth (see: Tom Brady) and I know Buffalo's management was sold on those kind of measurables.

Me? I'm sold on intelligence, throwing mechanics, pocket presence and the ability to mentally dissect what you see in front of you in the quickest possible amount of time. I think Allen is going to be a far less successful version of Big Ben and with Aaron Rodgers taking to Rosen and indeed working with him in the offseason, I think Rosen will evolve into a kind of Brady/Rodgers hybrid. If he stays healthy and learns to avoid contact, he's going to be amazing.

I'll never stop being a Buffalo fan, it feels as much a part of me as my eye color. But I'm rooting for Rosen--and by extension your Cardinals--like I've never rooted for anything non-Buffalo-sports related in my life. I've gone from deriding "fans" of dual NFL teams to awkwardly finding myself in that very position, abjectly hopeless and lost and confused yet paradoxically hopeful and optimistic as I add the Rosen Cardinals jersey to my shopping cart.

Do I click 'preorder'? Can I, a man who has loyally and faithfully stood by his team since learning to tie his shoes, abandon the principles of fanhood I've held dear and true for nearly 3 decades?

The future is bright, dear Cardinals fans, very bright indeed, and you may one day see this lost soul standing beside you in soladarity at the University of Phoenix Stadium proudly wearing an Arizona Cardinals jersey with Rosen across his back while solemnly donned with a Bills hat atop his head.

Welcome to the forum! So if you are on a Bills forum, what are they saying about Allen?

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Classy post. Welcome. My brother just moved to the Western NY area, and just tonight we were texting about games we wanted to see, including Bills and Cardinals options.

I have to be honest, when the Bills traded up, me and my son knew it was going to be “Josh”, were praying it would be Allen.

OP
OP
Nematocyte

Nematocyte

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! So if you are on a Bills forum, what are they saying about Allen?

A ton of mixed feelings, I actually have the numbers based on a sample size of about 100:

32% Favor; 23% Bust; 45% Middling

Seems like the people that wanted Rosen are the most vocal, and like me, many of us are devestated. One common thread however is that AZ's trade appears absolutely genuis compared to Buffalo's trade. One team gave up a 3rd and 5th to trade up 5 spots and the other team gave up two 2nd rounders (and got back a 255 pick) to trade up 5 places. The difference in what both teams gave up just cannot be overstated.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What scared me about Allen is the accuracy and he reminded me a lot of John Skelton except with tons of hype because of Wentz.

On the other hand, when he makes some of the most ridiculous throws I have ever seen.

As someone with several friends in Buffalo (in Orchard Park no less) I hope he works out.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Who knows what happens, but the Bills started the night with picks 12 and 22 and ended the night with two guys many had going in the top 10. Not a bad night.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
My best friend is a Bills fan and he was super pissed when they traded up for Allen and pissed at me for Keim taking Rosen.

I don’t see a situation in which Allen is a successful NFL quarterback. I really don’t. Then again, I said the same thing about Wentz and it backfired.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I didn't think we'd move up for Rosen, but I was quite thankful to the Bills for taking Allen and giving us the chance. Lo and behold, "Guts and Glory" Keim made the move and snagged Rosen. I'm sorry it was at you and your team's expense, though, @Nematocyte

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m originally from upstate NY. Most of my family are Bills fans and they’re my second team now that Whaley is gone. I really hope Allen works out for them.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Allen will do fine in Buffalo as long as they don't rush him to start. Let AJ McCarron be the starter for this season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least you are not a Browns fan. All of my friends who are still can’t believe what the browns just did

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Arm strength and playing in NY weather outside is the main reason Allen went over Rosen. Playing in ARZ is ideal for Rosen as he will be playing indoors so his arm talent will be maximized.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What scared me about Allen is the accuracy and he reminded me a lot of John Skelton except with tons of hype because of Wentz.

On the other hand, when he makes some of the most ridiculous throws I have ever seen.

As someone with several friends in Buffalo (in Orchard Park no less) I hope he works out.

OMG did you just utter the S word?

OP
OP
Nematocyte

Nematocyte

Reaction score
Arm strength and playing in NY weather outside is the main reason Allen went over Rosen. Playing in ARZ is ideal for Rosen as he will be playing indoors so his arm talent will be maximized.

While I agree that's something Bills management had in mind when they picked Allen over Rosen, I think the cold-weather-strong-arm attribute is completely overrated. I'd much rather have a QB with an accurate arm that can throw with the proper touch and timing, along with field management skills, than a QB that can whip the ball 66 MPH and throw it over 80 yards. I know what people may be thinking, false dichotomy, these things do not by necessity exclude one another, but when you look at Josh Allen's college stats, they are littered with sub-par performances against weak competition.

Additionally, though Buffalo probably has the worst weather in the NFL (maybe not as cold as Green But but worse from a more comprehensive measurement), games that would even require a cannon of an arm just aren't that common.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Guys is Rosen arm strenght adequate?
Kind of kurt warner, tom brady ?

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018JRosen.php

We had no business getting Rosen at 10. Living up to this isn’t a guarantee but this was the best quarterback in the class IMO.
Injuries are certainly a concern but career ending/changing plays can happen on any play to any player.
His skill set is through the roof.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Rosen seems to have landed in the very best place for him. Not sure he thought that through beforehand though. He should love it being around ASU, where he can join me in the off season for deep discussions on consciousness in relation to Quantum Reality.

Can we simply cut our other qb, Glennon, at this time, or are we stuck with him for a couple years along with Bradford?

OP
OP
Nematocyte

Nematocyte

Reaction score
Rosen seems to have landed in the very best place for him. Not sure he thought that through beforehand though. He should love it being around ASU, where he can join me in the off season for deep discussions on consciousness in relation to Quantum Reality.

You may enjoy this talk between Sam Harris and Sean Carroll:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Can we simply cut our other qb, Glennon, at this time, or are we stuck with him for a couple years along with Bradford?

Until the restraining order is served. :lmao:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A ton of mixed feelings, I actually have the numbers based on a sample size of about 100:

32% Favor; 23% Bust; 45% Middling

Seems like the people that wanted Rosen are the most vocal, and like me, many of us are devestated. One common thread however is that AZ's trade appears absolutely genuis compared to Buffalo's trade. One team gave up a 3rd and 5th to trade up 5 spots and the other team gave up two 2nd rounders (and got back a 255 pick) to trade up 5 places. The difference in what both teams gave up just cannot be overstated.
I will say we had the advantage of having to make a trade with the Raiders. This is the same team we gave a 7th rounder for Carson Palmer. Plus, we robbed them of a starting OT, who had a good run for us. If not for the Browns, they would undoubtedly be named the most dysfunctional franchise.

At this point, when the Raiders see Steve Keim's name on caller ID, they just should not answer.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree that's something Bills management had in mind when they picked Allen over Rosen, I think the cold-weather-strong-arm attribute is completely overrated. I'd much rather have a QB with an accurate arm that can throw with the proper touch and timing, along with field management skills, than a QB that can whip the ball 66 MPH and throw it over 80 yards. I know what people may be thinking, false dichotomy, these things do not by necessity exclude one another, but when you look at Josh Allen's college stats, they are littered with sub-par performances against weak competition.

Additionally, though Buffalo probably has the worst weather in the NFL (maybe not as cold as Green But but worse from a more comprehensive measurement), games that would even require a cannon of an arm just aren't that common.

Yeah, I saw Allen a few times this year and I was SCARED the Cards might draft him. If the first guy isn't open, he can seem lost. And, he doesn't recognize blitzes very well at all. Teams will blitz the crap out of this kid.