Big Shot Bob strikes again!

OP
OP
cly2tw

cly2tw

Reaction score
I thought that I was amgchang. :p

Anyways, I agree with Cobbler. If it was ANY other player for ANY other team, nobody would give a crap.

If that other player and team were of Horry's and Spurs track record, say be it Karl Malone or Matt Harpring or Bowen, it'd still get the same treatment here.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. I had them beating Dallas. I have Spurs vs Lakers, Celts vs Detroit, Lakers vs Detroit.

I had Nooch beating the Mavs, Suns beating the Spurs, Nooch beating the Suns, Lakers beating the Nooch.

In the east I had the Wizards going further, but a Celts/Pistons final and the Lakers likely losing to the Celts in the finals.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
road games, which Boston has a mountain of trouble winning.

To me, that has been the most shocking thing about these playoffs.

I'm wondering that since the West has been getting tested against good teams, and the Celts tested against the Least, that they won't be ready for the finals if they get there.

I used to think that the Western team would be too beat up for the EC champ to win it all, but now I'm wondering if the West champ (spurs, nooch, lakers) will simply be honed and ready while the East will have had rough times against subpar teams and not be as sharp.

It's a really interesting playoffs this year.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I think out of all the teams left, the Detroit Pistons have the best shot. While it pains me to say it, I hate those guys, it looks like it...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think out of all the teams left, the Detroit Pistons have the best shot. While it pains me to say it, I hate those guys, it looks like it...

Yeah, especially with the Celtics limping into the ECF (if they make it at all) and inability to win on the road..

The Pistons are probably my second least favorite team in the league. Though I think the Lakers can take them if they make it.

Funny thing is, the Cavs would give me fear too. They aren't a "good" team but they match up well with the Lakers.

So I'm kind of hoping the Celts win on sunday and then get a long 7 game beatdown against the Pistons. Nothing short of the Lakers winning a title would make me happier than seeing the Celtic fans dreams dashed in a bitter flameout. :evil:

Errntknght

Reaction score
What I can't grasp is, why was West in the game at that point? He's got a bad back and desperately needs to be as well as possible for game 7 so why was he playing in a game that had already been decided? On top of that, he hadn't been helping his team much, coming up short on almost every shot. Dumb, dumb move by Byron Scott. Puzzling why the media didn't ask him that obvious question...

I dislike Horry as much as anyone but it was not an unusual hit by any yardstick. Still, I hope it really fires up New Orleans - and they run roughshod over the Spurs in game 7.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I can't grasp is, why was West in the game at that point? He's got a bad back and desperately needs to be as well as possible for game 7 so why was he playing in a game that had already been decided? On top of that, he hadn't been helping his team much, coming up short on almost every shot. Dumb, dumb move by Byron Scott. Puzzling why the media didn't ask him that obvious question...

I dislike Horry as much as anyone but it was not an unusual hit by any yardstick. Still, I hope it really fires up New Orleans - and they run roughshod over the Spurs in game 7.

Dude, that was exactly what I thought too. Byron must have harkened back to when Pat Riley ran his guys to death and killed their chances at a threepeat and thought it a good idea.

But PJ puts Kobe in sometimes late in blowouts and it baffles me...I think...DUDE...WHY?? I hate late game blowouts with the losing team's starters in...just asking for trouble.

I too hope the spurs get the beatdown in na'wlins.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I hate when the team that is blowing the other out still has its starters in, its like rubbing it in the opponent's face.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate when the team that is blowing the other out still has its starters in, its like rubbing it in the opponent's face.

I think the winning coach defers to the other team to give up the ghost and bring in their bench. Kind of an unwritten rule of coaching.

I don't take it as rubbing it in...just "dude???!? we are killing you and you want your guys out there still? You bring in your scrubs, and I'll bring in mine."

As long as the losers are playing their starters in hopes for a miracle, the winners shouldn't empty the bench. To the victor go the spoils.

nowagimp

Reaction score
It's a really interesting playoffs this year.

Actually the only team with a half ass road record in the playoffs is the lakers. I like it much better when the homecourt advantage flips back and forth in a series, at least one series. I also just cant quite accept 22-2(?) for the home team in the second round. The differences in the competitiveness of the play home and away has been almost shocking. This is the mark of inexperienced teams that dont have poise. The champions look like crap in NO, the best road team in the NBA regular season(Celts), looks like maybe the worst team away from home in the playoffs. Maybe the hometeam is screwing with the rims etc. Maybe if I tighten the rims and pack the lane on a particular game I have the advantage over the visiting team who might not realize the rims are tight. I am disappointed in the predictability of the homecourt advantage, just mail it, in why bother playing. Hopefully the next round will be better, more consistently competitive.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you caught me. How dare I disagree with a bunch of bitter Spurs haters. :rolleyes:

How ever did you figure it out? Oh yeah, cause I don't agree with some of the Spurs haters in here. Of course. I guess to truely be fan of my team, I HAVE to hate the Spurs like all of you.

Yeah that is why the Effing Spurs fans were chanting "Horry, Horry, Horry" The only thing dirtier than the Spurs is a Spurs fan!

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
Chandler flooring Parker huh? Your a freakin moron Parker was running down the court backwards and his TEAMMATES did not warn him and HE ran into Chandler, that should have been a no call, but yet not in Spurs land they gave Chandler the foul. Your just so much of a Spurs homer you can't even see the ridiculous way your team plays, and the Refs let them. So last night very few fouls called, oh what a shock a Spurs home game and they let them play rough and dirty and have the fewest fouls called in a game this series, YEP sounds about right for the SA Sterns!

So hold on a second, did I ever say the Parker screen was a dirty play? I am just pointing out the hypocrisy that people here would label the Horry screen as a dirty play, yet ignore the exact same play by Chandler.

If it was the other Spurs' fault for not warning Parker, isn't it West's teammates fault that they didn't warn West? Why is Horry's screen a dirty play, and yet the Chandler screen legit and the Spurs fault? This is exactly the type of hypocrisy that is the problem.

And you want to talk about foul differentials in the game, pull out FTA differences for the home and away teams, then talk. You don't even know what you are talking about.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
obviously it's not just the psyche and bias of some fans around here. as i said earlier, cowherd and patrick thought it was dirty, mychal thompson thought the same, and read that damn yahoo article someone just posted. those are media types w/o a "bias" as you claim. but you're right . . . you're the model of objectivity . . . sheesh.

I am sure there are those who thought it was dirty, and they are entitled to their opinions. But to say that every single article outside of San Antonio has that play was dirty was incorrect. Mark Jackson said it wasn't dirty either, didn't he play in the NBA as well? Why would Mychal Thompson's opinion be any more vaild than Mark Jackson? Why would you, being a Spurs hater, not have bias when you side with the side that puts the Spurs under a negative light, while I, as a Spurs fan, am biased when I side with those who believe the foul to not be dirty?

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
actually, i can, it would be beautiful. watch the old 70's games. they were incredibly free-flowing and graceful. they were not wrestling matches. is there a physical element to hoops? of course there is. and there is a place for it. but thuggery is another thing entirely. it degrades the beauty of the game.

this is not football. it is not hockey. it is basketball where physical contact meant to gain an advantage is supposed to be a foul. there is an actual rule about the physical contact. is it enforced enough? not to my liking. if it were players would adapt and the game would become more aesthetically pleasing again. sort of like when the nfl tightened the rules on physical play with WRs - the play became more graceful and skill-oriented. thuggish corners went by the wayside and skilled corners became the premium.

Were you watching the NBA back in the 70's? This is about the most hilarious thing I have heard. Dave Cowens was as dirty as dirty can be, the man won titles in the 70s. The league was mired in drug problems and got into financial difficulties, and it took Magic and Bird to save the league. Yes, NBA was so beautiful in the 70's, they nearly folded. Brilliant.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
dude, how many complaints have other teams and players have about bowen? it's not so much that the entire team is thugs, they're not. it's more a marriage of horry and bowen being thugs, parker and duncan being whiners, duncan getting away with travels and small pushes in the post, and ginobili, parker, and oberto being expert floppers . . . oh, and parker's wife admitting to the press that he flops all the time - it's about a collective of concepts that individually may be one or two bad things, but in their entirety muddy the game.

To answer your question, Vince Carter complained about Bowen, Ray Allen complained about him, I think Finley whined once, and it was either Crawford or Francis, that's pretty much it.

In other news, nobody ever complains about Nash flopping, or Bell's "dirty plays" (which I don't think is dirty), Stoudemire's push ups, Shaq's charges, Diaw's softness, Hill stealing money from the Magic, Stoudemire's whining and not understanding the game. That's why the Suns are the saviours of basketball.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
THAT'S the article you muster up to prove your point??? What a sad specimen you are.
What is wrong with that article? You said EVERY national article said it was a dirty play, but the first article I read said the contrary. You either are ignorant, or you just straight out lied, because I can't really think of a more national sports channel than ESPN.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah with so few fouls called it was just stunning to see them ring up CP3 for 2 fouls and david west for 3 in a space of like 1:30. I thought the refs got religion, decided to call everything, flops and all. But then it calmed down to "no call ville". I am glad I am not a hornets fan, and see no reason to believe anything has changed in the NBA vis a vis consistent officiating. And now home teams are 20-1 in the second round. Damn, never knew home court was so powerful an advantage.

Could you explain more specifically the "flops and all" part? which of those 5 fouls you mentioned was a flop?

So it would be difficult to be a hornet's fan without consistent officiating, but how does that benefit the Spurs? The teams in the second round are 20-1, how does that benefit the Spurs? Doesn't the Hornets have homecourt?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
What is wrong with that article? You said EVERY national article said it was a dirty play, but the first article I read said the contrary. You either are ignorant, or you just straight out lied, because I can't really think of a more national sports channel than ESPN.
False, it was nowhere near contrary. It was neutral, and brought up that the play is being considered "dirty." Meaning, he is reporting on a play that people are deeming "dirty."

Cut it out now.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
let me be a spurs fan and get my panties all in a twist on a suns forum because suns fans are talking smack about a team that i'm a 'FAN' of ..

just put it all into perspective and sit back and laugh at what a loser that guy is..

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
For those that feel the league might do something about that horrible leaning pick from Horry. :rolleyes:

The NBA's basketball operations staff determined during a review Friday that Robert Horry's foul on David West in the fourth quarter of the Spurs' Game 6 victory over the New Orleans Hornets was routine.

A back-pedaling West crashed into an Horry screen while trying to deflect a Manu Ginobili pass during Thursday night's game.

Horry had moved up on West from behind and positioned himself as Ginobili began a drive to the basket past Jannero Pargo.

Ginobili left his feet to throw a crosscourt jump pass, which West attempted to deflect. While still moving backwards in the air, West crashed into Horry's screen and crumpled to the floor.

Having begun Game 6 with a sore back from an injury suffered in Game 5, West had to be helped to the Hornets' locker room. He did not return.

The play had made its way to the “YouTube” video website by early Friday morning and there were suggestions in some media outlets that Horry had intentionally tried to injure West. Hornets coach Byron Scott told Yahoo Sports columnist Adrian Wojnarowski, “... if I didn't know Robert on a personal level, I'd say that was a dirty shot. Yeah, if I didn't know him the way I know him, I'd say it was a cheap shot.”

Horry was suspended for two games in last year's conference semifinals against Phoenix after he hip-checked Suns point guard Steve Nash out of bounds. Suns stars Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw were suspended for leaving the bench in the excitement that followed that foul.

Ginobili rose to Horry's defense Thursday when it was suggested Horry had once again impacted a series with a questionable foul.

“I think he changed more seasons making shots than hitting people,” Ginobili said. “I don't think what he did had anything to do with last year's series. He just pushed Steve out of the court. The problem was their players getting on the court.

“He just made a hard foul last year, but it was their fault.”

You see, it wasn't that bad. Sheesh! :thumbup:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
“I think he changed more seasons making shots than hitting people,” Ginobili said.

There's a nice vote of confidence. Can we put that the first line of his obituary?

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I mean, just cause he hip-checked Nash out of bounds last season doesn't mean he's a bad person.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hornets coach Byron Scott told Yahoo Sports columnist Adrian Wojnarowski, “... if I didn't know Robert on a personal level, I'd say that was a dirty shot. Yeah, if I didn't know him the way I know him, I'd say it was a cheap shot.”
This reminds me of an old, old joke.

Officer O'Brien saw a car hit another from behind. As he approached the 2nd car, he saw his Priest behind the wheel.

The Officer stopped in his tracks, thought for a minute and said, "So, Father O'Malley, tell me. How fast was he going when he backed into you?"

'Hope I didn't offend anyone. But reading Byron's quote sure made me LOL. :)

OP
OP
cly2tw

cly2tw

Reaction score
“I think he changed more seasons making shots than hitting people,” Ginobili said.

There's a nice vote of confidence. Can we put that the first line of his obituary?

Implicitly, Manu admitted with this, "yeah, Bob used to decide games and series by making shots, and has been doing it by hitting people recently."
;)