Best available day two

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Yes, I agree that could easily be the case, and it probably happens to some fans. I see Porter as an aggressive, man cover guy with a lot of potential.
It’s all good it’s all about the eye of the beholder & there’s really no way of knowing until 2-3 years later.
Whomever they get let’s hope it makes Big Red the best they can be

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Please trade back, please get a C today, and please make that happen earlier than the late 3rd unless we're getting extremely lucky.

I love Porter Jr., but I'm happy to pass on him (if he gets to us) for the chance to move back and pick up assets. Finding a way to get JMS/Tippman/Avila/Wypler and a guy like Ringo would make me feel very good about this draft from a day one where I didn't quite love it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler doing NFL promos? Maybe he has turned a corner.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Let’s be honest here the tampering penalty really hurt the Cards ability to nab a potential really good player by dropping 28 picks. Ugh
It definitely puts the pressure on to move back in this round to try to recoup something close to that. And it makes me even more frustrated that we don't have two #2s right here like we did before the trade up. We could have possibly even traded back 2x with each pick at the top of this round and had a glut of picks.

I know next year is a stronger draft, but I'm a bit frustrated we're so limited in picks this year. I think we'll be big players in UDFA.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Cornerback Joey Porter, Notre Dame. Clearly my favorite pick. Big surprise to me that he did not go as CB3. Day one starter and tonesetter.

Edge rusher Derick Hall, Auburn. Fits Gannon- and Rallis' (presumable) scheme very well.

Center Steve Avila, TCU. Very strong. Could be day one starter.

Center John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota. Not as strong as Avila, but more technically sound. Thus, might be a better Bill Callahan- (probable Drew Petzing-inspirator) fit.

Defensive tackle Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin. Fit as Gannon's new Jordan Davis-type.

Cornerback Cam Smith, South Carolina. Really good and solid player. Could stabilize the cornerback-group. But give me Porter.
I love me some steve avila. But drafting him as a center is a mistake. He is physically dominant but he has serious issues reading defenses and making line calls... in the NFL he is an OG/Backup OC

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Clark Phillips is an obvious one, but to me it is more important that CB's can cover than getting turnovers. It can also cause a trickle down effect where good coverage can help the pass rushers get home. Look for Joey Porter, Cam Smith, and Phillips early, and later on players like Eli Ricks, Darius Rush, Terell Smith, and Myles Brooks.
Phillips is 5’9”. Thats a tough case.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It definitely puts the pressure on to move back in this round to try to recoup something close to that. And it makes me even more frustrated that we don't have two #2s right here like we did before the trade up. We could have possibly even traded back 2x with each pick at the top of this round and had a glut of picks.

I know next year is a stronger draft, but I'm a bit frustrated we're so limited in picks this year. I think we'll be big players in UDFA.
Yep.

Good point on moving back up it’s almost a double whammy & forces you to overdraft in rd 2 or move down at #33. Exactly why I wanted Kancey at #12 & staying put at 33 and 34. We could’ve drastically improved our roster this season doing so imo

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep.

Good point on moving back up it’s almost a double whammy & forces you to overdraft in rd 2 or move down at #33. Exactly why I wanted Kancey at #12 & staying put at 33 and 34. We could’ve drastically improved our roster this season doing so imo
Next year with 2 first rd and 2 3rd rd picks you will feel much better than how bad you feel about not having that 2nd rd pick this year.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
if the Lions want to trade Swift would you cough up some of our 3rd rounders for him?