Best available day two

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My guess regarding #33 is that Porter is off the board, no one is willing to trade up, and the Cards' pick is Brian Branch, who'll be slotted in as our Nickel DB.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best value at C, CB or DL with our round two pick. Don’t get hung up on drafting one position vs the other. Our needs are great and we will be bad this year. The draft won’t change that.
I think the Cardinals are sold 100% on building from the inside out. So add IOL to your options, as guys like Avila & O’Cyrus are still there. Gannon specializes in doing more with less when it comes to the secondary. For that reason, I don’t think 33 will be a CB. With the success that Monti had last night, I would be shocked if we don’t trade down from 33 to pick up even more draft capital.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals are sold 100% on building from the inside out. So add IOL to your options, as guys like Avila & O’Cyrus are still there. Gannon specializes in doing more with less when it comes to the secondary. For that reason, I don’t think 33 will be a CB. With the success that Monti had last night, I would be shocked if we don’t trade down from 33 to pick up even more draft capital.
They could actually take a G in round 2 and then their center in 3

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They can't fit every hole in the draft and they would be silly to force it.

Don't be surprised if they don't pick up a center. Ben Jones is still out there in FA if that happens. He can fill a hole for a year.
Not getting a center in this year's draft would be dumb de dumb dumb DUMB. When need and availability come together this spectacularly, you take advantage of it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not getting a center in this year's draft would be dumb de dumb dumb DUMB. When need and availability come together this spectacularly, you take advantage of it.
Agree. I think the Cardinals are 100% invested in the OL this draft, and I see no conceivable way they don’t draft a C. Schmitz, Tippmann, Stromberg, and Wypler can add a dimension that the Cardinals haven’t had literally in decades. Wypler is probably the lowest ranked of those 4 & yet he played directly next to Paris Johnson in all 13 games two years ago & on the same line last year. That has to mean something. I actually like Stromberg the most. I could see us taking a G in the 2nd round & our center with one of our 3rd round picks. If we trade down from 33, we grab a CB too With the extra draft capital.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Which remaining ballhawk do you endorse?
Clark Phillips is an obvious one, but to me it is more important that CB's can cover than getting turnovers. It can also cause a trickle down effect where good coverage can help the pass rushers get home. Look for Joey Porter, Cam Smith, and Phillips early, and later on players like Eli Ricks, Darius Rush, Terell Smith, and Myles Brooks.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree, Harry. I feel like Joey Porter has very, very good value at this spot, and they could most like find a C, who is also a good value pick, later on - for example with one of their many third round picks.

I don't know if you like Porter, but the point is to take the better value here, and come back to solve another problem later. And certainly, if that value pick is a C, and then a CB or else later, then that is just as fine.
Not to steal your post away from Harry’s thoughts but I personally like Rush, smith, Brents & Garrett Willams more.
Sometimes I get the feeling that Porters high round hype is due more to who his daddy is. JMO

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Clark Phillips is an obvious one, but to me it is more important that CB's can cover than getting turnovers. It can also cause a trickle down effect where good coverage can help the pass rushers get home. Look for Joey Porter, Cam Smith, and Phillips early, and later on players like Eli Ricks, Darius Rush, Terell Smith, and Myles Brooks.
Turnovers are the most important thing defenders can do. Guys who can run with players but not make plays on the ball are more common in drafts. To your point, Porter, Phillips, Cam are all interchangeable in that regard.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would be good with Avila and play him at C but I can see ARZ taking Brian Branch. I wonder how far Ringo will fall.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
No one was throwing at Porter Jr last year... and how on earth did these CBs get snaps at DL? They must be counting a corner blitz where they crash way up before the snap.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not to steal your post away from Harry’s thoughts but I personally like Rush, smith, Brents & Garrett Willams more.
Sometimes I get the feeling that Porters high round hype is due more to who his daddy is. JMO
Yes, I agree that could easily be the case, and it probably happens to some fans. I see Porter as an aggressive, man cover guy with a lot of potential.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Turnovers are the most important thing defenders can do. Guys who can run with players but not make plays on the ball are more common in drafts. To your point, Porter, Phillips, Cam are all interchangeable in that regard.
To each their own, I guess. We just see it differently, and that's cool. :) Nothing right or wrong.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I bet they trade back with someone wanting to move up for Levis.
BJ Ojulari, Michael Mayer, Brian Branch, johnathan Mingo are all impact players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave