Bayless best Wildcat....in the NBA?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
So I am starting to think that Bayless is going to be the best NBA player to come out of "Basketball U". His combination of defense, tenacity and offensive game is going to make him a player.

Any thoughts?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am starting to think that Bayless is going to be the best NBA player to come out of "Basketball U". His combination of defense, tenacity and offensive game is going to make him a player.

Any thoughts?

Bibby and Elliott were both very good pros.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts?

I love the kid but I'm not sure what his NBA position is PG or SG? Sort of a tweener.

There was an article I read today rating the pro prospects in the Pac 10. They quoted an unnamed NBA GM he said in this order Mayo, Bayless, Budinger, Harden, etc. He had Love 6th I can't remember who was 5th maybe Westbrook I really don't remember.

Edit. Brook Lopez was 4, Harden 5, Love 6th.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I love the kid but I'm not sure what his NBA position is PG or SG? Sort of a tweener.

There was an article I read today rating the pro prospects in the Pac 10. They quoted an unnamed NBA GM he said in this order Mayo, Bayless, Budinger, Harden, etc. He had Love 6th I can't remember who was 5th maybe Westbrook I really don't remember.

Edit. Brook Lopez was 4, Harden 5, Love 6th.

Maybe I am just falling too in love with this kids game 15 games into his career but I see alot of Dwayne Wade in him and how he projects to the NBA. I just think his reported passion, ability to got to the bucket, shooting and defensive presence is the best I have seen at our school since Bibby. And Bibby was nowhere near as tenacious or good at defense.

I guess time will tell but I love what he has done so far.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am just falling too in love with this kids game 15 games into his career but I see alot of Dwayne Wade in him and how he projects to the NBA.

Wade is an interesting comparion and your post forced me to look up the height of both. Bayless is only one inch shorter. I would have swore Wade was taller than 6'4".

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Wade is an interesting comparion and your post forced me to look up the height of both. Bayless is only one inch shorter. I would have swore Wade was taller than 6'4".

Every listing of Bayless i have seen has him at 6'4 too

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every listing of Bayless i have seen has him at 6'4 too

I don't think he's 6'4" but he jumps so well he plays taller anyways.

Wade is the guy everyone compares Jrue Holiday too(freshman at UCLA next year) and he's about that same size 6'2" or 6'3".

What I really like about Bayless is his shot selection, same thing with Harden for young kids they have a really good understanding of what is a good shot.
When you consider the number of minutes he plays and that he's still coming off an injury 46% overall 43% from 3 is pretty impressive.

He and Budinger are in the position of almost being forced to score a lot, you can see the effect on Chase his fg% is down 4 from last year because he's had to be less selective. But Bayless is not only leading the team in scoring he's leading in assists and still taking good shots.

Very impressive kid, hope he sticks around another year it would be really fun to watch him and Jennings in the backcourt together going up against Westbrook and Holiday.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Jennings and Bayless vs. Westbrook and Holiday = a NBA scout's dream

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
FYI

I Heart Jerryd Bayless

Saturday, the Wildcats were on a fast break when Bayless found Budinger, who drained a 26-foot three-pointer. Bayless might have been the most excited person on the floor.

"Just the happiness you bring to someone else making a shot, you can't really replace that," he said. "I know I can hit shots myself, but watching someone else get better is the ultimate."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI

I Heart Jerryd Bayless

Saturday, the Wildcats were on a fast break when Bayless found Budinger, who drained a 26-foot three-pointer. Bayless might have been the most excited person on the floor.

"Just the happiness you bring to someone else making a shot, you can't really replace that," he said. "I know I can hit shots myself, but watching someone else get better is the ultimate."

His recruitment was a pain in the butt for Cats fans but it sure worked out well in the end.

I really hope he stays, I read something the other day that said he's believed to be leaning towards leaving because he thinks with Jennings next year he won't get to play PG and that will hurt his NBA stock. I just don't buy that Jennings is a hell of a scorer in his own right there's nothing that says 2 guards who can play PG and score like a SG can't co-exist.

If he stays we may see the Pac 10 go from bigman dominant this year to guard dominant next year (if Harden comes back).

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
While it is a concern from most fans and even the media, just look at this year. Nic Wise plays a majority of the minutes at PG, mostly 30 mins per game. Bayless is playing SG and PG and look at his stock.

Now add in Jennings, who is a much better scorer than Wise. Bayless and Jennings are interchangable in the UA offense, just like it always has been. At Arizona the 1 and 2 are the same position.

If he comes back and either Hill or Budinger stay, UA is going to get a ton of attention and Bayless being the best player on the team, has the most to gain from the attention, improved play, and a deep run in March.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While it is a concern from most fans and even the media, just look at this year. Nic Wise plays a majority of the minutes at PG, mostly 30 mins per game. Bayless is playing SG and PG and look at his stock.

Now add in Jennings, who is a much better scorer than Wise. Bayless and Jennings are interchangable in the UA offense, just like it always has been. At Arizona the 1 and 2 are the same position.

If he comes back and either Hill or Budinger stay, UA is going to get a ton of attention and Bayless being the best player on the team, has the most to gain from the attention, improved play, and a deep run in March.

agreed. I think the people saying he's gone are speculating and I think a lot of it is based on the odd perception that Jennings is a ball hog. I think he's a bit of a showoff, but last time I checked he was averaging double digit assists at Oak Hill so I don't personally think he is a ball hog. Has a big mouth but if you can back it up like he can I have no problem with talking.

That will be a hell of a back court next year if he stays.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I've heard that Jerryd is only leaving if UA makes a Tourney run, same with Chase. Jordan Hill looks like a good candidate to leave, he has a kid to feed and it would be a very hard sell to get him back. If everyone returns, that team is freakishly good but I really doubt it happens. I personally think two of the three will stay which is more than enough for UA be a top 10 team next season.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I've heard that Jerryd is only leaving if UA makes a Tourney run, same with Chase. Jordan Hill looks like a good candidate to leave, he has a kid to feed and it would be a very hard sell to get him back. If everyone returns, that team is freakishly good but I really doubt it happens. I personally think two of the three will stay which is more than enough for UA be a top 10 team next season.

I hope you right but in terms of my teams success I would actually want Bayless to be the one of the three to go pro if one of them had to go.

I could see Bayless and Jennings bumping heads. I would think it would be a much better team if Hill and Budinger grew thier respective games (and provided leadership as upperclassman) and Jennings is next years Bayless. Bayless is more NBA ready IMHO anyway.

I think, in terms of losing players for next years team, Hill's loss would be catastrophic. We havn't had a great big man in some time.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
In my opinion Baylessw ould be the biggest loss. He is clearly the heart and sole of this team (along with jawann). UA hasnt had a freshman this good since Bibby. I love Chase and Jordan, but we are a completely different team without Bayless as opposed to Chase.

As for next year, Withey is more than capable of stepping in and playing very good defense. A front line of Withey and Hill would be sick, but it is unlikely.

Jerryd is a good kid, in fact he brought the chemistry to this squad, I dont care what anyone else says. Without Bayless the chemistry is much different, because not only can he score at will, but he plays defense, makes the extra pass, and will let everyone know what they are doing right and wrong. Not to mention a backcourt of Jennings and Bayless, with Wise off the bench would be one of the best in the nation.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Chase comes and goes during games, when he comes though, he is the best player on the court at all times.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Jerryd Bayless coming out, but (for personal reasons) lol only if:

the Hawks don't make the Playoffs and Suns have a Lottery Pick high enough lol I felt the same way about Andre Iguodala but the stupid Suns Traded the Pick because they didn't feel he'd be there, ugh.

I also wanted the Suns to get Richard Jefferson in the Suns/nets swap of PG's lol although there wasn't much of a shot...

Jason Terry would of been my selection if Marion was Drafted above 9... lol

and i preferred Channing Frye over Ike Diogu... =D

ONE OF THESE DAYS!!!

Being that I've only been watching U of A games this year (no cash for vcr tapes to collect game-film) anyone feel Jordan Hill could fit at #15-17, IF Hawks make Playoffs?? Thabeet and Arthur might be off the board... I don't know a lot of the younger bigman in Collegiate game these days. Last year, most of the game-film I collected were of the Lottery talent (I assumed the Suns were getting Pick!). Other than Augustine, I'm not sold on a lot of the PG's (in that area) to take over for Nash and even him I'm mainly basing it on watching for LaMarcus Aldridge years back...

:cats:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chase comes and goes during games, when he comes though, he is the best player on the court at all times.

His problem is still on the defensive end, he's just not consistent with his effort.

In the game Saturday Love pumpfakes Jordan Hill up at the 3, then drives the baseline and dunks. The thing about the play is Love is not that quick the only reason he gets to the rim and dunks is that Chase Budinger stepped aside and let him dunk. No effort to block the shot, no attempt to get position and draw the charge, he literally steps aside and lets him dunk.

Chase is a very talented offensive player but there was never any point in this game where he was close to the best player on the court. In the first half UA had him on Westbrook and he got completely abused on 2-3 trips in a row before they changed the matchup. It's all about defense for Chase that's where he has to improve.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Chase has improved a little bit, but anyone expecting him to be a good defender when he hadn't been required to play it in his entire life until Kevin O'Neill got to town is surely going to be disappointed. I don't ever think he will ever be a great defensive player either, that tenacity is simply not there but he's more than capable of becoming adequate which I think will come with another year in O'Neill's system.

One thing's for sure, the defense BUdinger and Bayless got against UCLA they will also get every night in the NBA. Saturday was a reality check for these young 'Cats, they're still way too young and have too little up front to be an elite team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chase has improved a little bit, but anyone expecting him to be a good defender when he hadn't been required to play it in his entire life until Kevin O'Neill got to town is surely going to be disappointed. I don't ever think he will ever be a great defensive player either, that tenacity is simply not there but he's more than capable of becoming adequate which I think will come with another year in O'Neill's system.

One thing's for sure, the defense BUdinger and Bayless got against UCLA they will also get every night in the NBA. Saturday was a reality check for these young 'Cats, they're still way too young and have too little up front to be an elite team.

I thought for the most part Bayless handled it well. 13 points 4 assists only 2 turnovers and if he shoots his normal FT% he's at 16-17 points. He was the one Cat that seemed to be able to beat his man and gets shots. Wise had 12 but UCLA essentially didn't guard him they dared him to shoot and he made enough to keep them honest but probably should have shot more.

Chase got a bit flustered as Shipp said people get sped up when they play UCLA the defense is so intense they rush shots or rush passes etc.

That's the thing about Luc that has really impressed me this year his ability to guard multiple positions. If he can't play against WSU on Thursday it could be a big blow he's so important to the defense. In this game he guarded Chase and basically shut him down.

The interesting game matchup to me was they started with Brielmeyer on Love. I guess they figured Hill won't get in foul trouble and he can come over from the weakside to block shots, but UCLA just went right after him and Love got such great position Hill couldn't get there in time to help. I was surprised how long it took for UA to switch that I think Love got 3 buckets really early off just that.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Watched Ellis for the first time really closely tonight, Russ.

I like that comparison.

Of course he had 20pts at the half so I caught him on a good night:D

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bayless scores 33 as the Cats get a must win against Cal. If Jerryd leaves after this year I hope he ends up with the Suns.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Bayless scores 33 as the Cats get a must win against Cal. If Jerryd leaves after this year I hope he ends up with the Suns.

On that note Doug collins and Kevin Harlan just commented "should we be offended that Steve Kerr ditched his TNT pals to go scout down at the University of Arizona tonight?"

I bet Lute and KO have been whispering in Sarver and Kerr's ear.

How about a PHX - TUCSON - PHX career? would seem to be the best of all worlds.....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Bayless probably wouldn't make it to the Hawks pick. James Harden might however...

Don't think old Sarver hasn't deeply considered the marketing impact drafting one of these two kids would have even if they do have more pressing needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn