OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Movie Theater Stops Playing 'Barbie' After 'Oppenheimer' Viewers Snuck In Without Paying For A Ticket

TikTok and Twitch Streamer @salty._.yuuri posted a now-viral video about a Barbie movie night gone wrong.

The video is captioned, “OMG, they stopped the movie ’cause people switched from Oppenheimer to Barbie without paying.”

Apparently, some clever moviegoers decided to ditch Chris Nolan’s Oppenheimer and sneak into Greta Gerwig’s Barbie instead. Eventually, however, the theater caught on and decided to deal with it by freezing Barbie and checking everyone’s tickets.

The video shows a freeze frame of Ryan Gosling’s Ken, and @salty._.yuuri pans around, capturing everyone’s reactions to the situation.

As we all know, Barbie and Oppenheimer took the internet by storm when they both dropped on the same day. The chaos was dubbed “Barbenheimer.”

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blows me away that it is 2023 with reserved seats, etc. and there are still people in the comments on that TikTok that feel it's totally okay to buy a ticket for film A, change your mind, and go see film B. SMH.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I read somewhere that they aren't going to do a sequel. Good luck with that. haha!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw barbie wens n with gf very funny movie!!

The sets were soooooo barbie like very well done

Also all the different barbies kens was hilarious!!

And will ferrel was funny in his role

7 out of 10 would recommend :) plus maggie is super hot :) lol

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
“AITA for breaking up with my boyfriend over the Barbie movie?” one woman asked on the popular “Am I the cornholio” subreddit, before sharing the story of how her boyfriend complained to her about the movie’s feminist themes after they left the showing.

It's a female oriented movie? I would have broke up with his ********, too! :wave: Bye Bye!

I guess because I saw two human beings emerge from my wife, I was like damn! RESPECT! I wouldn't do that!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The whole bit about it being a red flag if a guy doesn't want to see it is a pretty garbage take, but other than that, spot on. If a guy has a problem with it because it's "woke" or too "feminist" or rude to the "patriarchy," then buh-bye.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We saw this earlier in the week. Entertaining, amusing, some good social commentary, but not really such a good movie. Glad this is doing well for Greta Gerwig's sake, but not her best film. "In my opinion".

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
At least this one is originally written and directed. We may be able to see through how men are treated and tossed aside in this movie but at least it's not a knock off unoriginal piece of crap that defames the source text.

I had a fun time but realized right away that this was going to be a superficial romp where, like the toys, the men are an afterthought with little to do or say other than be a side piece to the girls. Again..... People should know that going in and act accordingly. At least it was original IP.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
At least this one is originally written and directed. We may be able to see through how men are treated and tossed aside in this movie but at least it's not a knock off unoriginal piece of crap that defames the source text.

I had a fun time but realized right away that this was going to be a superficial romp where, like the toys, the men are an afterthought with little to do or say other than be a side piece to the girls. Again..... People should know that going in and act accordingly. At least it was original IP.
So we're allowed to denigrate all the movies where women are an afterthought with little to do or say other than be a side piece, often quite literally, right? Like, the tens of thousands of movies compared to the one or two that do what you always gripe about? Or are all those movies okay because it's traditionally fine to trash women as objects of lust or ditzes, so long as they're in so-called traditional gender roles? I'm just curious.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You are complaining about "Barbieland", an idealized fantasy/joke.

The movie depicted the "real world" as a patriarchy, run by men.

So I don't get the critique.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wait.... I was complaining?

It is what it is. A shallow pink female wonderland. Originally written and directed. I had fun but never thought for a moment this was winning any awards.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His name was Robert Paulson…

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing it. The premise had potential but I thought that the execution had a lot of stumbles. The dolls know nothing about the real world but navigate it seamlessly once they get there. Allan (Michael Cera) makes no sense -- he's a one-joke gag until his defining scene, which completely violates his character in a way that isn't even acknowledged, much less explained. (Trying to avoid spoilers here.) Will Ferrell can make almost any material work well but was given garbage to work with. The final "defeat" of the Kens was illogical and confusing. Kate McKinnon was great and they needed more of her. The end with Rhea Perlman was bizarre and reached for an apotheosis that the rest of the movie hadn't prepared at all.

All that said, I think you'd have to be a special kind of clueless to find the movie offensive. Of course it indulges in some negative stereotyping, as does pretty much any comedy under the sun. Everything is drastically oversimplified for satirical effect, and there's nowhere near the depth you find in (for example) a typical Pixar film -- but I don't think there's supposed to be. It's an intentionally distorted look at human interaction from the perspective of a main character who, by design, lives in a world of distortion and serves to propagate distortion. It's not Barbie's fault that she's incapable of nuance, and I think that's part of the point.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's crazy the way that this and Oppenheimer are still performing. Both sitting at 1 and 2 on the forth weekend since opening is nuts. I thought both movies were going to do really well but not this well.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
My wife and her friend went to see this yesterday and brought along my daughter. Both of the adults really didn't care for it. My daughter thought it was OK.

I was surprised a little given what is heard about the film that it was pretty much a miss for them

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard