Backpacking thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Cool article about the workers embedded in the Sierras that keep the trails from disappearing. I wish I would have known about stuff like this when I was younger. Pretty demanding, but an amazing experience for sure.

That is awesome. When I retire I want to get a job in this line of work. Or at a National park. Not sure of the opportunities, experience requirements, and pay though.

I wish I got into hiking and backpacking when I was younger. I spent a lot of time on my grandmas ranch in Texas outdoors, but there are no mountains there. I started my AF career at Luke and did no hiking there which really irritates me in retrospect. But I’ve done my best the last few years to hike and camp as much as possible. I’ve been lucky to hike and camp in some really cool places. I just got stationed in Las Vegas and have already been out on the trails here. I can’t wait to do a backpacking trip. For now I am counting down the days to hike and camp on top off mount Charleston. While I’m here I want to do some other cool places as well. Bucket list is definitely to do the Grand Canyon rim to rim in one day.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is awesome. When I retire I want to get a job in this line of work. Or at a National park. Not sure of the opportunities, experience requirements, and pay though.

I wish I got into hiking and backpacking when I was younger. I spent a lot of time on my grandmas ranch in Texas outdoors, but there are no mountains there. I started my AF career at Luke and did no hiking there which really irritates me in retrospect. But I’ve done my best the last few years to hike and camp as much as possible. I’ve been lucky to hike and camp in some really cool places. I just got stationed in Las Vegas and have already been out on the trails here. I can’t wait to do a backpacking trip. For now I am counting down the days to hike and camp on top off mount Charleston. While I’m here I want to do some other cool places as well. Bucket list is definitely to do the Grand Canyon rim to rim in one day.

That's awesome that you are making up for lost time!

Another retirement option could be being a volunteer campground host at a National Park. That is something my mom used to talk about doing but never did. When I was in 6th grade, she took us on a hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon were we camped a couple nights before heading back out the same way. Same type of deal with Havasupi Canyon which I thought was even more beautiful.

Most of my hiking these days are short hikes before work or early in the morning on the weekends. My wife doesn't like to hike and worries about getting chased by bears, etc. So I end up doing these short hikes before she wakes up. Maybe once a Summer one of my sons and I will do a couple nights on the PCT, that is lots of fun. I live within 20 miles of a few PCT access points. Some day, I would like to at least finish Oregon on the PCT. I have just done the Southern part and have a long way to go.

Check out this website which is pretty good, has maps, etc. https://www.hikingproject.com/ They also have a decent trail app that shows you where you are on the trails as you go which is helpful.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That's awesome that you are making up for lost time!

Another retirement option could be being a volunteer campground host at a National Park. That is something my mom used to talk about doing but never did. When I was in 6th grade, she took us on a hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon were we camped a couple nights before heading back out the same way. Same type of deal with Havasupi Canyon which I thought was even more beautiful.

Most of my hiking these days are short hikes before work or early in the morning on the weekends. My wife doesn't like to hike and worries about getting chased by bears, etc. So I end up doing these short hikes before she wakes up. Maybe once a Summer one of my sons and I will do a couple nights on the PCT, that is lots of fun. I live within 20 miles of a few PCT access points. Some day, I would like to at least finish Oregon on the PCT. I have just done the Southern part and have a long way to go.

Check out this website which is pretty good, has maps, etc. https://www.hikingproject.com/ They also have a decent trail app that shows you where you are on the trails as you go which is helpful.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll check that stuff out. I’m kind of in the same situation where my wife doesn’t really like to hike mountains as I do. My kids sometimes like it but it’s hard for them so they don’t do it much. They do like camping and smaller hikes though so I’m looking forward to that now that we live in Nevada. I’m going to camp at the valley of fire state park with them. And I think I’m going to do the Grand Canyon in may when the north rim opens up.

I did some hiking and fishing in Alaska last summer and I did see a bear on the side of the road in a lake. There were people stopped photographing. Generally wildlife stay off of well marked trails or they get used to being around humans which is also good and bad.

The volunteer idea is a good one. The US military has gotten a lot better about making opportunities for veterans to access National parks and volunteer. We have a new program that allows for vets to transition in their final 6 months of service. So while you are still getting paid by the military, you are able to start a civilian job or do an internship in your final 6 months. That definitely has volunteer at a National park written all over it for me. But I might start doing it before then just to get my feet wet and see what is out there for me.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried to get out for a hike on Friday, but had to loop back after about a half mile, trail was way too muddy with sticky mud. Can't wait to get a dry stretch.

I feel pretty confident you'll get your wish. ( :devil: "My command of AZ weather is nigh." )

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel pretty confident you'll get your wish. ( :devil: "My command of AZ weather is nigh." )

Thanks, you have some supreme powers to push that Az weather up here to Oregon! Let me know when that kicks in, maybe I won't have to become a snowbird after all!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, you have some supreme powers to push that Az weather up here to Oregon! Let me know when that kicks in, maybe I won't have to become a snowbird after all!

Lol, I didn't realize your were up in the Northwest. (The cactus avatar threw me off!)

I loved Oregon the summer I spent up there in the 90's. So much green!

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol, I didn't realize your were up in the Northwest. (The cactus avatar threw me off!)

I loved Oregon the summer I spent up there in the 90's. So much green!

Its wonderful when it is nice out. The native Oregunyns are probably use to the rain, but I am an Arizona boy and get sick of it.

This year we are looking at rainy/bad weather November through March.
Assuming this breaks, it will be wonderful outside April, May, June
Questionable depending on the smoke that fills our valley during Fire Season: July, August September
October should be nice

So about half the year can be wiped out from bad weather and smoke from fire season, in terms of doing the stuff I like outside and not being cooped up inside.

Call me the wambulance!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I did the rim to river to rim trail today. South Kaibab to bright angel. Highly recommend it. But if I could do it over again I would camp somewhere in the canyon to make it easier and enjoy it more. It’s hard to get camping reserved in the canyon though.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did the rim to river to rim trail today. South Kaibab to bright angel. Highly recommend it. But if I could do it over again I would camp somewhere in the canyon to make it easier and enjoy it more. It’s hard to get camping reserved in the cannon though.

Wow, that is awesome! Did you do the whole thing in one day? You have an early jump on hiking season, quite jealous here!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the rim to river to rim trail today. South Kaibab to bright angel. Highly recommend it. But if I could do it over again I would camp somewhere in the canyon to make it easier and enjoy it more. It’s hard to get camping reserved in the cannon though.
Very cool - any snow on the upper reaches?

I know the trail to the North Rim from the bottom is basically closed (Not officially, but not recommended due to landslides, rockfalls, and snow).

I've been to the bottom twice - both times three day trips - a route similar to what is on this trip report (not mine, but basically same route

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Stay at Phantom Ranch next time if you can!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Wow, that is awesome! Did you do the whole thing in one day? You have an early jump on hiking season, quite jealous here!
Yes I did. It was amazing. Everything that I thought it would be and much more. I knew it would be hard, but it was still a little harder than I expected. by the end I was ready to be done for the day. 16.6 miles total. The weather was perfect. Upper 20’s and icy at the start at 0730, but became quite pleasant after the first mile. even with air temps in the 70’s (80’s in the sun on the bright angel) it was a bit hot when you factor in fatigue and body heat. I can’t imagine doing this hike in late spring when the temps start to hit 90 in the canyon.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yes I did. It was amazing. Everything that I thought it would be and much more. I knew it would be hard, but it was still a little harder than I expected. by the end I was ready to be done for the day. 16.6 miles total. The weather was perfect. Upper 20’s and icy at the start at 0730, but became quite pleasant after the first mile. even with air temps in the 70’s (80’s in the sun on the bright angel) it was a bit hot when you factor in fatigue and body heat. I can’t imagine doing this hike in late spring when the temps start to hit 90 in the canyon.
That's a big day of hiking, esp with the exact opposite on trails (one all uphill, the other all downhill)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Very cool - any snow on the upper reaches?

I know the trail to the North Rim from the bottom is basically closed (Not officially, but not recommended due to landslides, rockfalls, and snow).

I've been to the bottom twice - both times three day trips - a route similar to what is on this trip report (not mine, but basically same route

That’s awesome. I don’t think I have heard about those routes. Did you encounter many other hikers? What was your favorite part of your trip? It would be great to camp in the canyon.

Yes there was ice/slush/mud in the upper areas where the sun doesn’t hit. I’d say the first .5 mile of the south Kaibab trailhead and the about 1.5 mile of the Bright Angel trailhead.

Originally I wanted to start at the north rim and hike from there to the river and back or from there to the south rim, but as you mentioned the north rim is closed. I think the main road into the north rim is still closed as well until about a month from now.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That's a big day of hiking, esp with the exact opposite on trails (one all uphill, the other all downhill)
Absolutely, and I’ve never done a trail where you start downhill first. the downhill felt fine but when I started walking up from the river my knees and calves were definitely tired. If I could go back I would have spent more time down by the river for a break. I rested and took my lunch break at the Havasupai gardens(formerly Indian gardens). Going up from the river there were streams of water flowing through the canyon as well which were very nice and cool on the feet and head. You mentioned staying at phantom ranch. I would love to do that next time If I can hike from the north down.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wow, awesome job. I am done after 11 miles, lol. That's a lot of climbing too. Glad you could get out and enjoy it.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finally got out for a bit of hiking on Sunday. One day of nice weather, today it is back to stormy.
This is Lower Table Rock, only about 3 miles round trip, but pretty nice now that the wildflowers are blooming. You can see the Rogue River from the top.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Finally got out for a bit of hiking on Sunday. One day of nice weather, today it is back to stormy.
This is Lower Table Rock, only about 3 miles round trip, but pretty nice now that the wildflowers are blooming. You can see the Rogue River from the top.

You must be registered for see images attach
Hell yeah! Good work and that is a great picture. It is beautiful there.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After booking May 2020 Havasupai reservations we are finally going this morning 3 years delayed due to tribe Covid restrictions.

My wife and I are hiking in and out with packs along with a buddy and his wife. We'll be there 4 days and 3 nights.

That's awesome! Hope you all have a great trip. It is a beautiful hike.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
After booking May 2020 Havasupai reservations we are finally going this morning 3 years delayed due to tribe Covid restrictions.

My wife and I are hiking in and out with packs along with a buddy and his wife. We'll be there 4 days and 3 nights.
hell yeah, that's awesome. you are gonna have a blast. my next big hike is supposed to be bridge mountain at red rock canyon, Nevada just outside of Las Vegas. It really is a stunning area. I already went once before a few weeks back and underestimated the commitment that Bridge Mountain requires. I can't wait to go back as soon as I can. I might camp there. I'll attach a picture as soon as I can.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose