BA = Begging for Attention?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't understand the Bettcher hate.
the young man has actually done a far better job than I expected from him. I could actually see him being an HC at some point in the not to distant future...not next year mind you,...but maybe in three to five years

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the Bettcher hate.

that's one thing I DO get. We have nice shiny defensive stats, but when push comes to shove at the end of games, our D under Bettcher has gone el foldo more times than I care to watch... especially coming on the heels of Bowles, who did have a BOATLOAD of talent in year one, but made them monsters and then did an even more incredible job in year two with massive losses on D, but a D that more often than not got THE BIG STOP getting us to 11 wins... with absolute drek at QB for 9.5 of those games.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Bettcher is no Bowles at this point. Bowles's defense in Arizona made some of the best halftime adjustments I can remember and often shut down the opponents in the 2nd half.

Bettcher has shown some promise but he has made plenty of head scratching moves, like having Minter in coverage, but he's still young at the job.

As for Mitch and BA, it kind of sounds like MSNBC with Trump. No matter what, even if he does something right, there's a caveat that's not liked and that's what gets mentioned.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I am not sure why you are upset about him taking pride in building a tree and getting other coaches to become promoted.
Am I the only one that thinks Bill doesn't hype his assistants because they haven't really panned out as head coaches? Weiss...fail...Crennel...fail...dude in Denver...fail...jury is still out on O'Brien, but he's underwhelming at best, IMO.

Right now Arians has dude with Jets...and jury is out on him, because that team is so poorly run from the top down.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Bill doesn't hype his assistants because they haven't really panned out as head coaches? Weiss...fail...Crennel...fail...dude in Denver...fail...jury is still out on O'Brien, but he's underwhelming at best, IMO.

Right now Arians has dude with Jets...and jury is out on him, because that team is so poorly run from the top down.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You make a very good point. Because of the disappointments you highlighted so well, I think that the league is leery of BB's assistants because they sense that they are a product of BB's leadership and organizational structure. It's not so much that BB doesn't hype them -- he speaks very positively and even glowingly at times about Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia, his two coordinators -- but there is no question that BB wants to hang on to McDaniels and Patricia as long as he can, and why not? McDaniels and Patricia relish their roles and neither one of them is all that anxious to move on.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't feel inclined to read this entire thread.

I finished the new BA book yesterday. Not a lot of new information in it really, especially about the Cardinals.

It beaks down the three or four traits that BA thinks are essential for a QB to be successful, and then goes on to describe how his previous QB's (Peyton, Big Ben, Andrew Luck, and Palmer) fit that mold.

You also come away with how small a fraternity coaching in the NFL really is. It's not discussed in the book at all, but it's really remarkable at the meteoric rise Betcher has had.

Oh, and if anyone (Mitch, etc.) expect or want BA to replace a coach... He lays it out that he may reassign a coach, but he will NEVER fire one.

A good, quick read.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make a very good point. Because of the disappointments you highlighted so well, I think that the league is leery of BB's assistants because they sense that they are a product of BB's leadership and organizational structure. It's not so much that BB doesn't hype them -- he speaks very positively and even glowingly at times about Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia, his two coordinators -- but there is no question that BB wants to hang on to McDaniels and Patricia as long as he can, and why not? McDaniels and Patricia relish their roles and neither one of them is all that anxious to move on.

Your last sentence is freaking ridiculous. McDaniels was already a HC. If you think he actually wanted to be demoted back to an assistant after that, you've either never been the boss of anything or you're literally just making crap up to back up most of you unprovable theory used to bash BA.

From a financial standpoint ALONE, it's the height of stupidity to state unequivocally that Daniels, who could making MILLIONS more as a HC, isn't anxious to get back to that rarified air.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your last sentence is freaking ridiculous. McDaniels was already a HC. If you think he actually wanted to be demoted back to an assistant after that, you've either never been the boss of anything or you're literally just making crap up to back up most of you unprovable theory used to bash BA.

From a financial standpoint ALONE, it's the height of stupidity to state unequivocally that Daniels, who could making MILLIONS more as a HC, isn't anxious to get back to that rarified air.

For personal reasons, Daniels over the past few off-seasons has turned down interview opportunities.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Eh. Sometimes people find out where their niche is after surpassing it and struggle. I dont find it hard to accept when that much money is being made, that its OK to forgo more in the name of happiness. its all conjecture, but to say its a ridiculous statement... I find that, well, ridiculous. Why is it difficult to accept that some people will forgo money and/or stature for happiness and comfort? I would. I recently lost a job. Im staring down a 33% loss in income because I flew a little too close to the sun for my own good. I need to get back to doing what makes me happy. And Ill take the pay cut to do it. In fact, I did that once in my life already. When I left the corporate world and started cooking, I went from IT salary/benefits to 10 bucks an hour as a line cook. I was 33. No value can be placed on being happy.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Eh. Sometimes people find out where their niche is after surpassing it and struggle. I dont find it hard to accept when that much money is being made, that its OK to forgo more in the name of happiness. its all conjecture, but to say its a ridiculous statement... I find that, well, ridiculous. Why is it difficult to accept that some people will forgo money and/or stature for happiness and comfort? I would. I recently lost a job. Im staring down a 33% loss in income because I flew a little too close to the sun for my own good. I need to get back to doing what makes me happy. And Ill take the pay cut to do it. In fact, I did that once in my life already. When I left the corporate world and started cooking, I went from IT salary/benefits to 10 bucks an hour as a line cook. I was 33. No value can be placed on being happy.

So true. You have a great attitude. The Peter Principle is often quite a sobering reality. Just because you are great at one job doesn't automatically mean you will be great at a higher level job. Finding happiness and a productive, comfortable niche in the work place is paramount to a satisfying life. Taking on higher paying and higher responsibility jobs is often extraordinarily stressful. Sure the added pay is nice, but is it worth the aggravation?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, the reason why McDaniels is staying in NE is he has been promised that he can succeed Belicheck when he retires.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I disagree with the take that coaches don't want to be promoted and are content at being coordinators. There are two main reason I think this. Coaches, at least those that are HC candidates, are huge ego maniacs. Name one HC that wasn't/isn't(even more so the successful ones), including Belichick. Just because some have a public persona of being humble or good guys, behind the scenes, they are in complete control and things are being done the HC's way.

Secondly, any HC that fails, is usually back in their coordinator role within a very short time. Whiz was back in SD the following year. McDaniels back in NE, Wade Phillips back as a DC. The list goes on and on.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing is that the "Quarterback Whisperer" title isn't exclusive to Tom Moore or anyone else. I ran a google search from 12/31/06 to 12/31/16 on the term, and it's been used to refer to Adam Gase, George Whitfield, Tom Herman, Mike Sanford, Hue Jackson, etc., etc.
Gross!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard