AZ 6 SEA 6 OT Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I was extremely impressed with the Cardinals' effort tonight. The Seahawks get in every team's head---they even get in the ref's head. And in light of the bad taste the Cardinals have had in their mouths since the Seahawks' pounding of the Cardinals in Week 17 last year---and the stigma they have had of getting blasted by the Seahawks at home---this was one helluva gutsy performance.

It was like a heavyweight prize fight---both sides bringing all they had---both sides slugging it out toe to toe, punch for punch.

Yes, the Cardinals made some infuriating mistakes--some self-inflicted and others caused by non-calls, but mostly by they way the Seahawks manage to do what it takes to win games like these---like Bobby Wagner seeing on tape that he could leap Brewer, because Brewer is so low to the ground and he is not a big man---and for knowing how to time it up because the Cardinals snap the ball as soon as the holder turns his head.

Yes---Wagner grazed Brewer and it should have been a penalty---but that was impossible to see in real time and here we go once again, but why have replay and not be able to make sure the play was clean?

The Cardinals, for whatever reason, have snap count problems on offense as well. They snap the ball on first hut 95% of the time, which allows aggressive defenses like the Seahawks' to tee off on the snap and which puts an inexperienced RT like D.J. Humphries at a disadvantage, especially trying to block a DE as cat quick and fast as Cliff Avril.

The offense moves the ball anyway (thanks to big nights from David Johnson---41 touches and a great block on the Nelson play---Carson Palmer, J.J. Nelson, the o-line, and even Ifeanyi Momah!), but they just could not sustain their drives and turn them into several scores. The fumble at the end of the half really hurt. 17 seconds left and you just know that if you are tackled in bounds with no timeouts left, you won't be able to kick the FG.

Earl Watford who played his butt off---whiffed on the key 4th an 1 block---but he had a guy over him in Michael Bennett who makes All-Pro guards miss from time to time.

Our defense was the most dominant it has been versus a good team in the time BA has been in AZ---their performance was much like the one they had in Week 16 versus the Packers---the only major difference was that they couldn't get Russell Wilson to turn the ball over and the one strip sack they had was recovered by them. The near fumble by Christine Michael in the flat on the 10 yard line---man that would have been a game changer.

But the Cardinals got some lucky bounces of their own---like the blocked FG---it is amazing that the ball landed in the one place that could have stopped a TD return---right into Quigley's body. If that bounces beyond him Sherman was right there to scoop it and score.

They also got the shank by Hauschka at the end---which was poetic justice---and quite possibly could signify a reversal of the Seahawks' uncanny good fortune at the end of games---maybe the Cardinals stole a little of that magic for themselves---that is my hope.

The team surely missed Smokey Brown and hopefully he can give us some bounce at Carolina.

I don't want to see the Cardinals cut the Cat Man. I think he can work his way through this. Other good kickers have before.

The punt alignment by Amos Jones was an egregious mistake---you can't leave that spot in the line uncovered and you cannot have someone as small as Kerwynn Williams be the protector---tjhat's a real "C'mon, man." It looked like the punt team was disorganized on the play, as one guy was running in---man, at that point in the game, 4 minutes left...and all 3 TOs---use a TO. Man, that play was a backbreaker---but at least the defense didn't surrender a GW TD, which often happens by such a shocking momentum change and every one on the team fearing the worst after playing so hard and tough for the first 56 minutes.

Game balls to every man on the defense---Jones, Golden and Campbell were especially tremendous. And James Bettcher gets a game ball too. He's made very good strides the past three weeks.

The whole team needs to respond in a positive way to this game---they positives were aplenty---the best of which was they went after the Seahawks like they never have before---yes, they've beaten them in Seattle, but they have never quite put the pounding on them they way they did tonight. And this may be a turning point in this rivalry because now the Seahawks will dread playing the Cardinals, they way they dread playing the Rams and other tough teams.

The toughness part is the most important take away from this game. The Cardinals brought it big-time---and if they have the hunger to sustain it, they can take their play to the championship level that they have been aspiring to attain.:newcards:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To quote Winston Wolf on keeping Seattle's offense at bay, I wouldn't start sucking each other's stuff just yet. Wilson is extremely hobbled but there were moments that were cringe worthy and makes me wonder why Carroll didn't stick to it. Every time they ran that little slice run with Michael, he'd gain 5+ yards. Every time. That and they should have run more passes underneath. That seemed to work for them when they ran it. Otherwise, Wilson was really limited. Seems to me he's about 75%-80% on that knee. On the other hand, with no JB² and with patchwork receivers, we still moved the ball effectively. One big question. The 4th and 1 didn't work so why on the 2nd and coal from the 1 in OT why didn't we run the big package? Put a lineman in the backfield and let DJ run behind him or run an off tackle play instead of between the tackles. DJ always seems to gain at least 1 yard that way.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Grazing someone on a leap and landing on them are different..and while an argument can be made either way I think it is debatable enough to not be as egregious as I originally thought.

Also on snap count,maybe we just need to go Tecmo Bowl: "Ready, down, huthuthuthuthuthuthuthuthut"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I was extremely impressed with the Cardinals' effort tonight. The Seahawks get in every team's head---they even get in the ref's head. And in light of the bad taste the Cardinals have had in their mouths since the Seahawks' pounding of the Cardinals in Week 17 last year---and the stigma they have had of getting blasted by the Seahawks at home---this was one helluva gutsy performance.

It was like a heavyweight prize fight---both sides bringing all they had---both sides slugging it out toe to toe, punch for punch.

Yes, the Cardinals made some infuriating mistakes--some self-inflicted and others caused by non-calls, but mostly by they way the Seahawks manage to do what it takes to win games like these---like Bobby Wagner seeing on tape that he could leap Brewer, because Brewer is so low to the ground and he is not a big man---and for knowing how to time it up because the Cardinals snap the ball as soon as the holder turns his head.

Yes---Wagner grazed Brewer and it should have been a penalty---but that was impossible to see in real time and here we go once again, but why have replay and not be able to make sure the play was clean?

The Cardinals, for whatever reason, have snap count problems on offense as well. They snap the ball on first hut 95% of the time, which allows aggressive defenses like the Seahawks' to tee off on the snap and which puts an inexperienced RT like D.J. Humphries at a disadvantage, especially trying to block a DE as cat quick and fast as Cliff Avril.

The offense moves the ball anyway (thanks to big nights from David Johnson---41 touches and a great block on the Nelson play---Carson Palmer, J.J. Nelson, the o-line, and even Ifeanyi Momah!), but they just could not sustain their drives and turn them into several scores. The fumble at the end of the half really hurt. 17 seconds left and you just know that if you are tackled in bounds with no timeouts left, you won't be able to kick the FG.

Earl Watford who played his butt off---whiffed on the key 4th an 1 block---but he had a guy over him in Michael Bennett who makes All-Pro guards miss from time to time.

Our defense was the most dominant it has been versus a good team in the time BA has been in AZ---their performance was much like the one they had in Week 16 versus the Packers---the only major difference was that they couldn't get Russell Wilson to turn the ball over and the one strip sack they had was recovered by them. The near fumble by Christine Michael in the flat on the 10 yard line---man that would have been a game changer.

But the Cardinals got some lucky bounces of their own---like the blocked FG---it is amazing that the ball landed in the one place that could have stopped a TD return---right into Quigley's body. If that bounces beyond him Sherman was right there to scoop it and score.

They also got the shank by Hauschka at the end---which was poetic justice---and quite possibly could signify a reversal of the Seahawks' uncanny good fortune at the end of games---maybe the Cardinals stole a little of that magic for themselves---that is my hope.

The team surely missed Smokey Brown and hopefully he can give us some bounce at Carolina.

I don't want to see the Cardinals cut the Cat Man. I think he can work his way through this. Other good kickers have before.

The punt alignment by Amos Jones was an egregious mistake---you can't leave that spot in the line uncovered and you cannot have someone as small as Kerwynn Williams be the protector---tjhat's a real "C'mon, man." It looked like the punt team was disorganized on the play, as one guy was running in---man, at that point in the game, 4 minutes left...and all 3 TOs---use a TO. Man, that play was a backbreaker---but at least the defense didn't surrender a GW TD, which often happens by such a shocking momentum change and every one on the team fearing the worst after playing so hard and tough for the first 56 minutes.

Game balls to every man on the defense---Jones, Golden and Campbell were especially tremendous. And James Bettcher gets a game ball too. He's made very good strides the past three weeks.

The whole team needs to respond in a positive way to this game---they positives were aplenty---the best of which was they went after the Seahawks like they never have before---yes, they've beaten them in Seattle, but they have never quite put the pounding on them they way they did tonight. And this may be a turning point in this rivalry because now the Seahawks will dread playing the Cardinals, they way they dread playing the Rams and other tough teams.

The toughness part is the most important take away from this game. The Cardinals brought it big-time---and if they have the hunger to sustain it, they can take their play to the championship level that they have been aspiring to attain.:newcards:

No.

To be tough, you have to be physically AND mentally tough. This team failed MASSIVELY at the mental level too many times to count tonight to be impressed.

The offense and ST were PATHETIC.

Reactions: PJ1

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch!

Yeah I was concerned about 2 things I notice early on & even commented on them to my woman...having Golden on PR & Kerwyn as punt protector. Well the 2nd bit us in the ass no doubt. :bang: I just didn't like giving 2 little guys who rarely have played those roles, especially Williams since he's just been added to the roster again & not played. Maybe they possibly had a fake punt possibly in the game plan with him, but still a major blunder by the staff.

But hey that was the best Cards D performance I've seen outside of the '98 playoff win in Dallas & yet this was more dominating! Wow! 4 first downs allowed thru 3 quarters? Hawks O didn't cross the 50 until OT. Wow Hats off to them & Bettcher.

This was probably a death blow to Big Reds playoff chances IMO & I fully expect a butt kicking in Carolina this weekend after that bloodbath against the Hawks & huge mind altering ending. That game hurts & feels like a loss & not a tie.

The small mistakes once the Cards offense keeps making inside the opponents 30 has killed this team all season & why they are 3-3-1 instead of 6-1 & that's without the ST gaffs. Ugh

This loss stings & hurts a lot!

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Looking at the standings. This wasn't back breaker
Maybe not in the standings, but mentally & physically it darn well might be!

That will be answered next Sunday, though I'm expecting a huge letdown. That game was a physical bloodbath & even Fitz said after the game it felt like a loss.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Not a bad summary Mitch... The lead story for the Cards has to be the play of their defense (sans OT where for some reason they folded up...). But seriously, that was the most dominate performance by a Cards defense versus a Super Bowl caliber team that I have ever seen in my life as a Cards fan. And the offense, without the Browns and with a Floyd who remains at best, inconsistent, the offense themselves were nearly dominate. I mean, in every offensive category except points, we absolutely OWNED the SeaHags. We may very well have seen the official coming out party for Momah. DJ again demonstrated his incredible versatility and ability to lead our team to sustained drives and bigtime Time of Possession, wearing down the opposing defense and keeping our defensive fresh! Fitz continues to play at levels he was at a decade ago! Our o-line, notwithstanding the 4 sacks they coughed up, is more than good enough to continue to place this team in positions to win.
And yet... and yet, we don't. Tonight is not a win and it's not a tie. It's a loss. Which means that 4 times so far this year, twice against a division foe, we failed to win.
We all know just how hard it is to win in the NFL. And I even made a comment in a thread before the season started, that after all the wins this team has put up under BA over the past few years, 13 last season, what next? Unless you're the Patriots, NFL teams just don't put up season after season of 10/11 wins... they just don't.
So maybe that's what this is. Maybe the NFL gods are simply doing there thing and bringing yet another fun to watch team with tons of talent, with some of the key talent now aging (Palmer, Fitz, Campbell, Rucker), a team that has been "so close" the past few years...back to the mean.
I do believe this is largely the case... But I also believe something isn't right with BA. I swear I feel like I'm watching an aging punch-drunk fighter who you once loved and adored for all his guts and swag and success, but is now unable to duck and jive and make the other guy miss. Where he's trying to do all the things that have worked in the past, but the younger boxer he now faces is just a hair faster, a touch more powerful and has learned just a few more tricks...he's studied all the tape of the once great fighter and is now immensely prepared and is able to predict the older boxer's every move. This isn't Ali vs Holmes, but it is Sugar Ray Leonard vs Terry Norris. Like Sugar Ray just ran out of bullets, BA seems to be similarly out of his own bullets. Whereas he was once able to dig deep and pull out that extra "it" to win the close, tough battles (Think of the first fight between Sugar Ray and Tommy Hearns), now the competition has caught up and BA is old, slow and hittable.
Coaches like Belicheck and players like Brady happen once in a lifetime... It's nothing short of full-on miraculous to see what those two have done over the past 15 years or so. And so yes, while the NFL gods are exacting their full toll upon the Cards this season, it's also true that we have an aging, punch-drunk head coach (who may very well be suffering physically as well, as I truly believe he hasn't been right since camp) who refused to evolve...rather remaining committed to his now entirely figured-out style of play. Who in the tight, tough battles where victory is still within reach but yet, would require timely and extra sharp decision-making, comes up just a hair short...
It's actually sad. And I'm most saddened by the knowledge that the greatest player/person I have ever had the joy to watch - Larry Fitzgerald - will not have his ring...at least not in a Cards uniform.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
4th and goal with the game on the line..and a crappy kicker

if he goes for it there and we get it...we win this game and probably the next couple of games against the hags

I was all for going for it on 4th the time we did...win some lose some...

but BA screwed the pooch when he let the time run out. we had them backed up...what...second and 32? If they wanted to win they had to pass..and at the time we were getting hands on Wilson and had their rookie fourth string left tackle flustered..was a great opportunity to try for a turnover and win the game...while digging into seattles psyche along the way.

question... why in the unholiest bowels of hell do we have the smallest dude on the team blocking for kicks?? Why is K. Williams even in there as anything other than a gunner?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not a bad summary Mitch... The lead story for the Cards has to be the play of their defense (sans OT where for some reason they folded up...). But seriously, that was the most dominate performance by a Cards defense versus a Super Bowl caliber team that I have ever seen in my life as a Cards fan. And the offense, without the Browns and with a Floyd who remains at best, inconsistent, the offense themselves were nearly dominate. I mean, in every offensive category except points, we absolutely OWNED the SeaHags. We may very well have seen the official coming out party for Momah. DJ again demonstrated his incredible versatility and ability to lead our team to sustained drives and bigtime Time of Possession, wearing down the opposing defense and keeping our defensive fresh! Fitz continues to play at levels he was at a decade ago! Our o-line, notwithstanding the 4 sacks they coughed up, is more than good enough to continue to place this team in positions to win.
And yet... and yet, we don't. Tonight is not a win and it's not a tie. It's a loss. Which means that 4 times so far this year, twice against a division foe, we failed to win.
We all know just how hard it is to win in the NFL. And I even made a comment in a thread before the season started, that after all the wins this team has put up under BA over the past few years, 13 last season, what next? Unless you're the Patriots, NFL teams just don't put up season after season of 10/11 wins... they just don't.
So maybe that's what this is. Maybe the NFL gods are simply doing there thing and bringing yet another fun to watch team with tons of talent, with some of the key talent now aging (Palmer, Fitz, Campbell, Rucker), a team that has been "so close" the past few years...back to the mean.
I do believe this is largely the case... But I also believe something isn't right with BA. I swear I feel like I'm watching an aging punch-drunk fighter who you once loved and adored for all his guts and swag and success, but is now unable to duck and jive and make the other guy miss. Where he's trying to do all the things that have worked in the past, but the younger boxer he now faces is just a hair faster, a touch more powerful and has learned just a few more tricks...he's studied all the tape of the once great fighter and is now immensely prepared and is able to predict the older boxer's every move. This isn't Ali vs Holmes, but it is Sugar Ray Leonard vs Terry Norris. Like Sugar Ray just ran out of bullets, BA seems to be similarly out of his own bullets. Whereas he was once able to dig deep and pull out that extra "it" to win the close, tough battles (Think of the first fight between Sugar Ray and Tommy Hearns), now the competition has caught up and BA is old, slow and hittable.
Coaches like Belicheck and players like Brady happen once in a lifetime... It's nothing short of full-on miraculous to see what those two have done over the past 15 years or so. And so yes, while the NFL gods are exacting their full toll upon the Cards this season, it's also true that we have an aging, punch-drunk head coach (who may very well be suffering physically as well, as I truly believe he hasn't been right since camp) who refused to evolve...rather remaining committed to his now entirely figured-out style of play. Who in the tight, tough battles where victory is still within reach but yet, would require timely and extra sharp decision-making, comes up just a hair short...
It's actually sad. And I'm most saddened by the knowledge that the greatest player/person I have ever had the joy to watch - Larry Fitzgerald - will not have his ring...at least not in a Cards uniform.

I had issue with a couple of BA's decisions last night but for the most part the play calling was nearly flawless.

Twice Palmer had opportunities to strike on deep balls and twice Palmer missed. He hits those and that game is a blowout.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great game, the mistakes we made were the difference though, especially Palmer at the end of the half and not trying for the TD one more time before the missed field goal (I thought they kicked on third down?)

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Disagree Mitch,

The way Hawks were dominated by Cards, anything short of a loss was complete victory for the Hags.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Maybe not in the standings, but mentally & physically it darn well might be!

That will be answered next Sunday, though I'm expecting a huge letdown. That game was a physical bloodbath & even Fitz said after the game it felt like a loss.
it is in the playoff picture, there are 8-10 teams with a bte record than Cards in the NFC.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I had issue with a couple of BA's decisions last night but for the most part the play calling was nearly flawless.

Twice Palmer had opportunities to strike on deep balls and twice Palmer missed. He hits those and that game is a blowout.

Agree. This wasnt on BA, but I totally understand 82's frustration.

There are always questionable calls from a coaching staff. We do it every single week; judge the play calling or a particular decision at a particular time, and we have the luxury of doing so in a vacuum, with hindsight. I didnt see a coach who has been figured out, I saw an offensive game plan work all night, and then misfire when it came down to execution by the players. an OL Block whiff, a WR drop, the fastest man ever getting caught from behind (not really his fault, but you understand the point), an aging QB missing 2 deep throws he makes almost every time a season ago. The toughest RB in the league not able to gain a yard at the worst possible time. There were so many opportunities left on the field, by the players, that BA had nothing to do with last night.

We should have waxed that team. But what we had was an incredibly entertaining defensive slug fest, that was there for the taking, but apparently neither club wanted. SEA could have locked us down repeatedly as well, but when they finally had the chance, they blew it, more thn once.

Its easy to go full depression after a game like that. Blame it on football gods, or any other thing we can dream up. Truth is there are myriad reasons why teams win or lose week in and week out, the butterfly effect in this league is unlike any other professional sport. Teams win and lose, not players, not coaches. They all help with whatever the outcome is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grazing someone on a leap and landing on them are different..and while an argument can be made either way I think it is debatable enough to not be as egregious as I originally thought.

Also on snap count,maybe we just need to go Tecmo Bowl: "Ready, down, huthuthuthuthuthuthuthuthut"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah I've been reading the rule and shock, Criss Collinsworth appears to be wrong yet again, the incidental thing is fairly well explained the idea is you can't use the defender to leverage yourself up to block the kick. Same as leveraging off your own teammate. Wagner didn't do that. I think that was a great play by Wagner.

The punt block was a horrible job by kerwynn, as I said in the game thread for the people constantly asking why he can't stick on the roster that is why. Taylor is blocking a LB Cassius Marsh and does his job easily, but KW gets steamrolled by a UDFA WR who only weighs 225 pounds. He needed to step UP and get that guy earlier.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I was extremely impressed with the Cardinals' effort tonight.

+1.

While completely crazy, and almost beyond reality in modern day football. I enjoyed the game.

ONLY the Cardinals have games like this. Best ticket in the NFL, every year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Last nights game left me feeling like I just ate a no-bake cheesecake...an okay dessert, in a pinch, but a complete fraud when compared to the real thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the defense. They had Wilson completely out of the game.

What I wonder is if Amos can get the center issue that the Seahawks found during film review of the Cards kicking game?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was funny to me in the game thread was 4 quarters of comments about how bad Palmer looks while we were making Russell Wilson look horrible. They were in the backfield all game, no John or Jaron Brown. Palmer did a good job against a great defense but when he had chances to make the big plays downfield, he made bad throws. He had 2-3 chances on deep shots and didn't make good throws, he's been poor at that all year but I thought otherwise he played quite well.

The D on Wilson was amazing, you keep him in the pocket he's a totally different QB.

And again, that first quarter 3rd down play out of the endzone is grounding I don't get why BA is railing on the other calls and not bringing that up that's a Safety

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What was funny to me in the game thread was 4 quarters of comments about how bad Palmer looks while we were making Russell Wilson look horrible. They were in the backfield all game, no John or Jaron Brown. Palmer did a good job against a great defense but when he had chances to make the big plays downfield, he made bad throws. He had 2-3 chances on deep shots and didn't make good throws, he's been poor at that all year but I thought otherwise he played quite well.

The D on Wilson was amazing, you keep him in the pocket he's a totally different QB.

And again, that first quarter 3rd down play out of the endzone is grounding I don't get why BA is railing on the other calls and not bringing that up that's a Safety

Nail on the head...Palmer wasn't perfect, but look at who his receivers were...Floyd and his drops...Nelson getting doubled downfield...Golden, who can't get open. Seattle did a great job of bracketing Larry and DJ, out of the backfield. The other receivers were given chances...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
question... why in the unholiest bowels of hell do we have the smallest dude on the team blocking for kicks?? Why is K. Williams even in there as anything other than a gunner?

Williams had replaced Jaron Brown who went out with the blown ACL... it's like when a new infielder enters a game mid-game, the ball ALWAYS finds him. [emoji35]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson