• 1st team all defense 4 times.
  • 92 DPOY
  • 95 MVP
  • 91 Led league in rebounding
  • 92 Led league in blocks per game
  • 94 Scoring Champ
  • 10x All Star

All in 13 full seasons.

I think many people are sleeping on how much of a bad-ass David Robinson actually was.
Other side of the coin is this. David's best years were ages 25 to 30. Ayton is STILL 4 years from that. He has a shot...... he's just got to get more assertive on both ends of the floor.

I don't need a mean streak. I just need to see more "want to" consistently.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other side of the coin is this. David's best years were ages 25 to 30. Ayton is STILL 4 years from that. He has a shot...... he's just got to get more assertive on both ends of the floor.

I don't need a mean streak. I just need to see more "want to" consistently.

robinson coming into the league at 23 is what let’s me cling to hope that Ayton can be a dynamic difference maker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bickley rips Ayton apart for his mistake and I can't blame him since I did also but I find it quite humorous that he takes Ayton to task for his mistakes while he can't even get his research right and says we opened the season with a win against the Mavericks. The Suns played the Kings. That's pretty bad for a professional journalist who decided to write an op-ed tearing into a player for his mistakes.

Had the Suns lost this game, this faux pas would’ve followed Ayton around for the rest of his career. It would’ve been the day he pierced the bubble of excitement surrounding his team for the second time in one season. Just like he did with the suspension for a banned diuretic that came in the wake of a raucous Opening Night victory over the Mavericks so many months ago.

Bickley also second guessing Monty seems odd. When Monty defended Ayton's testing issue is when almost everyone here let it go. That's not just because Monty was covering for him, he was speaking as someone in the bubble and someone who has been a consistent disciplinarian all season. I haven't heard Monty make excuses for anyone this year and I don't believe he started yesterday.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Bickley rips Ayton apart for his mistake and I can't blame him since I did also but I find it quite humorous that he takes Ayton to task for his mistakes while he can't even get his research right and says we opened the season with a win against the Mavericks. The Suns played the Kings. That's pretty bad for a professional journalist who decided to write an op-ed tearing into a player for his mistakes.

Bickley also second guessing Monty seems odd. When Monty defended Ayton's testing issue is when almost everyone here let it go. That's not just because Monty was covering for him, he was speaking as someone in the bubble and someone who has been a consistent disciplinarian all season. I haven't heard Monty make excuses for anyone this year and I don't believe he started yesterday.

I'll refrain from divulging too much, but I can tell you Bickley is clueless when it comes to anything Ayton.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not going to continue to reinforce too much of the Ayton slander, because much of it is overreaction, but I'll say that this team's success hinges on his will to become more aggressive and decisive on offense. He's made the necessary leaps on defense, which is encouraging, but I did expect him to be more along offensively at this point.

I'm confident he'll become an elite big man, but it's up to him and his coaches to determine that.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why Ayton is not David robinson:
The Admiral was:
  • 1st team all defense 4 times.
  • 92 DPOY
  • 95 MVP
  • 91 Led league in rebounding
  • 92 Led league in blocks per game
  • 94 Scoring Champ
  • 10x All Star

All in 13 full seasons.

I think many people are sleeping on how much of a bad-ass David Robinson actually was.

Not much point in comparing Robinson's final outlook verses a young guy just starting out. This comparison does nothing. A better comparison would be do to a season by season comparison or a "by this time in there careers" comparison. However, they entered the league at different ages.

Oh and seriously nobody forgot what a bad-ass The Admiral was.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i don't care about Ayton missing that covid test
(though it did throw the Suns off their game)
matter of fact, i'd have preferred his missed his test for the Philly game
he was horrible
he looked like the kid you let play in an adult game
the defense slacked off him
Suns kept feeding him to get him going
but he just couldn't handle the ball.
it was like he was still just learning the game

high school players are generally sharper and more focused than he was today

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much point in comparing Robinson's final outlook verses a young guy just starting out. This comparison does nothing. A better comparison would be do to a season by season comparison or a "by this time in there careers" comparison. However, they entered the league at different ages.

Oh and seriously nobody forgot what a bad-ass The Admiral was.

We will have to wait until Ayton (22) turns 24 to do this. Robinson was 24 his first season.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Was an all rookie as a freshman. Had a good rookie season..he would be a junior in college right freakin now

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after all his talk, he comes out in the bubble and puts up... 15.5 ppg and 9.5 rpg... both significantly under his season totals.

and after almost screwing the team yesterday, does he come out like a man possessed, ready to right the wrong in a game with big time playoff implications? No. He looks more listless then he did in yesterday's game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
after all his talk, he comes out in the bubble and puts up... 15.5 ppg and 9.5 rpg... both significantly under his season totals.

and after almost screwing the team yesterday, does he come out like a man possessed, ready to right the wrong in a game with big time playoff implications? No. He looks more listless then he did in yesterday's game.
He didn't screw the team yesterday, come on. Stop overreacting. Someone messed up, maybe him, but it was a blip on the big picture. He didn't screw the team. My goodness.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He didn't screw the team yesterday, come on. Stop overreacting. Someone messed up, maybe him, but it was a blip on the big picture. He didn't screw the team. My goodness.

That's why I said ALMOST CHAP. There’s a difference. Jesus christ man... if you're going to tell me I'm overreacting and throwing indignant "my goodnesses" around, try and at least not lying about what I said.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's why I said ALMOST CHAP. There’s a difference. Jesus christ man... if you're going to tell me I'm overreacting and throwing indignant "my goodnesses" around, try and at least not lying about what I said.
Come on Cheese, semantics. I'm not attacking you--sorry you are taking such offense. "Almost" screwing the team is semantics. You're using it as ammunition when it amounts to nothing. You are good at pointing out his real problems (aggressiveness, shot selection) -- no need for you to bring this up.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

We won, but he still screwed the team. Turned out to be minor, but it couldve blown the biggest game of the season. We've coddled him, at least publicly, up to this point. I know I was infuriated when we celebrated him with Ayton bobble head night while he was serving his ped suspension. He's been a problem this year and I'm not sure it's registering with him. At some point, you gotta stop making excuses and hold him accountable. He's not gonna learn if he doesn't feel the fire. That's how kids learn.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We won, but he still screwed the team. Turned out to be minor, but it couldve blown the biggest game of the season. We've coddled him, at least publicly, up to this point. I know I was infuriated when we celebrated him with Ayton bobble head night while he was serving his ped suspension. He's been a problem this year and I'm not sure it's registering with him. At some point, you gotta stop making excuses and hold him accountable. He's not gonna learn if he doesn't feel the fire. That's how kids learn.
He did NOT SCREW THE TEAM. Jesus.

IF he messed up, and none of us here know that for a fact, it's something they will deal with, but it didn't screw the team. It potentially could have, sure. But I find it pretty funny that with everyone hating on Ayton, everyone is upset that it was possible that he would have been benched. Hard to tell with you people whether you want Ayton to play or not.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on Cheese, semantics. I'm not attacking you--sorry you are taking such offense. "Almost" screwing the team is semantics. You're using it as ammunition when it amounts to nothing. You are good at pointing out his real problems (aggressiveness, shot selection) -- no need for you to bring this up.

it's not semantics. he put the team in jeopardy and he was lucky he was able to get tested and get the results in time to get in the game...which he showed up late to. and when he wasn't in the game, they were getting whipped.

This really isn't that hard to understand. Ayton already put the team in a major hole to start the season because of flunking a test and then, he put the team in another precarious position before the biggest game of the year. That's a problem because to me it doesn't look like lessons learned, from a guy who's supposed to be one of the leaders of the team.

you may think it's nothing that Ayton brain-farted before the biggest game of the season. I don't. Again, if you want to discuss something with me, fine. But don't materially change what i said to make me look like an idiot and then become indignant about the argument you made for me.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ayton's stats are still looking good...
Every time I see this quote, I have to react.

Winners count victories. Losers count individual stats.

Realistically, Ayton has to play his soft, but statistical,
game while the others play solid for us to succeed.

With, once again, a power player next to him at PF
for those games when it will make a difference. And
one at backup Center when Dario backs up PF.

Balance. Something the Suns have not been good at
since it became Sarver's team.

From three lead Point Guards fighting for the top spot
to no lead Point Guards.

Balance is a key ingredient to success.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
it's not semantics. he put the team in jeopardy and he was lucky he was able to get tested and get the results in time to get in the game...which he showed up late to. and when he wasn't in the game, they were getting whipped.

This really isn't that hard to understand. Ayton already put the team in a major hole to start the season because of flunking a test and then, he put the team in another precarious position before the biggest game of the year. That's a problem because to me it doesn't look like lessons learned, from a guy who's supposed to be one of the leaders of the team.

you may think it's nothing that Ayton brain-farted before the biggest game of the season. I don't. Again, if you want to discuss something with me, fine. But don't materially change what i said to make me look like an idiot and then become indignant about the argument you made for me.
As you and others say it on every single game thread, whenever Ayton is on the floor he puts the team in jeopardy. You don't know a damn thing about the situation and stop pretending you do. We are winning games and you bitch about this?

You want to call me stupid, just go ahead and do it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I apologize to chessebeef and the rest of the board. I'm just frustrated and took it out on here. I think we have more to celebrate then whine about, so I don't see the point in dwelling on the test incident.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you and others say it on every single game thread, whenever Ayton is on the floor he puts the team in jeopardy.

WTF? Now you're just making more up. What I say in every thread is that I WANT MORE FROM HIM. I don't say Ayton puts the team in jeopardy every time he's on the floor. You're just continuing to project arguments I've never made.

This is ridiculous Chap.

You don't know a damn thing about the situation and stop pretending you do.

Again, WTF are you talking about?

We know he missed the test. We know he was late to the game. We know he's the only Sun to be held out of a game during the bubble. What else do we need to know to know he screwed up?

We are winning games and you bitch about this?

I've also been jubilant about Booker, Dario, Cam, Bridges and the 7 game winning streak. It is possible to have more than one opinion Chap.

You want to call me stupid, just go ahead and do it.

whatever dude.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I see this quote, I have to react.

Winners count victories. Losers count individual stats.

Realistically, Ayton has to play his soft, but statistical,
game while the others play solid for us to succeed.

With, once again, a power player next to him at PF
for those games when it will make a difference. And
one at backup Center when Dario backs up PF.

Balance. Something the Suns have not been good at
since it became Sarver's team.

From three lead Point Guards fighting for the top spot
to no lead Point Guards.

Balance is a key ingredient to success.

I look for upward trends in young players especially big men.

Apparently you want a finished product at age 22.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look for upward trends in young players especially big men.

Apparently you want a finished product at age 22.

I'm not sure what all he posted has to do with Ayton. Do we know Ayton isn't watching wins more than his stats? Considering the Suns have been winning and he's not matching his season stats, maybe he's sacrificing some for the team. He's definitely not stat padding. We're not in the huddle with Monty to know the plan.

The Suns have been rattling off win after win without a true power player also. Is the answer really to slow things down and force one into the lineup? I guess it makes us a more balanced team, if it were 1995.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not sure what all he posted has to do with Ayton. Do we know Ayton isn't watching wins more than his stats? Considering the Suns have been winning and he's not matching his season stats, maybe he's sacrificing some for the team. He's definitely not stat padding. We're not in the huddle with Monty to know the plan.

The Suns have been rattling off win after win without a true power player also. Is the answer really to slow things down and force one into the lineup? I guess it makes us a more balanced team, if it were 1995.
The problem is, most people tend to believe the most negative reason. I don't know if it's human nature or what, but especially in 2020, that seems to be the way everyone is going. 7 games straight, I believe this is the longest win streak in Booker's CAREER and all anybody can do is fault Ayton. Just a weird thing to be concentrating on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose