Ayton sorta sucks

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in Vegas for the PAC 12 tournament and Ayton is awful. Tentative. Can't shoot. Poor rebounder. Decent defender. Little elevation so misses easy follow throughs. Content to take a 15 footer then take 3 steps and dunk.

I will say it now. Not the savior

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll grant you...I'm not watching the game and statistics can be deceptive...

But he currently has 19 points on 8-11 shooting, including 1-1 from 3. He also has 10 boards, 2 blocks, 3 assists, and only 1 foul and 1 turnover.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watching the game now. Ayton has scored Arizona's last 13 points.

32 points and 14 rebounds on 13-16 shooting.

Has dominated overtime in the Pac-12 semifinal.

I'll take him!

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah he has been amazing from the 4 minute mark. I came to this tournament to watch him so glad to see him decide that he is dominant

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I am in Vegas for the PAC 12 tournament and Ayton is awful. Tentative. Can't shoot. Poor rebounder. Decent defender. Little elevation so misses easy follow throughs. Content to take a 15 footer then take 3 steps and dunk.

I will say it now. Not the savior

Is this the George Costanza theory?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Umm... I'm confused, was this a joke from the start?

UofA's biggest problem is they don't give him the ball at some point every possession. They also play Ristic too much, I admire Ristic's hustle and passion but it leave Ayton to guard the opposing 4 (because Ristic is way too slow to defend away from the hoop). Ayton is an absolute monster, best freshmen big since Anthony Davis.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm... I'm confused, was this a joke from the start?

UofA's biggest problem is they don't give him the ball at some point every possession. They also play Ristic too much, I admire Ristic's hustle and passion but it leave Ayton to guard the opposing 4 (because Ristic is way too slow to defend away from the hoop). Ayton is an absolute monster, best freshmen big since Anthony Davis.

Nope not a joke. He was a detriment to his team yesterday against the freaking Buffalo's. Today he was non existent for a half against again inferior competition.

He is incredibly passive.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope not a joke. He was a detriment to his team yesterday against the freaking Buffalo's. Today he was non existent for a half against again inferior competition.

He is incredibly passive.

He utterly destroyed the Bruins tonight. If not for him Arizona loses that game by 15.

I think the bigger problem is his teammates kinda suck at getting him the ball.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He destroyed the bruins in OT and in the final 4. He was useless when I posted this

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If our pick is 3 or 4, I'm trading all 3 picks this year, top 1 protected next year and mia 2021
For the number 1 to take ayton.

I think there are probably a couple teams, i.e. Sac, falling for the euro hype. if so, they can move down a couple spots and still take him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He destroyed the bruins in OT and in the final 4. He was useless when I posted this

He's been a monster all year long.

Again, IMO Arizona's biggest problem is that too many guys on his team don't get him the ball. They have too many posessions where someone just dribbles and chucks or drives into a double team, and their use of Ayton+Ristic lineups, which pull Ayton away from the basket because Ristic cannot function away from the rim.

Watch how many times in a game Ristic will get the ball, spin his way into a double team and chuck up a terrible shot anyway, as Ayton is standing near, clapping and wide open, Trier does the same thing.

Barring injury, he is going to be a double double machine in the NBA. And you really should compare his stats to what other freshmen bigs have done historically. It keeps being said, he is the most dominant freshmen big man since Anthony Davis.

Also, I watched Len some in college, if you'd done the same you'd realize how ludicrous that statement was. The kid was a non-factor from beginning to end in half his games, he also had his same brick for hands he does not and an inability to score until he is directly under the rim.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday the #1 pick in the draft at one point was 4-15 against a squad of nobodies for 10 points, 6 rebounds, and fouled out.

You can say that offense didn't get him the ball but I am courtside watching him lead his team in shots and just played weak.

Again tonight I am at the arena (and bet heavy ok u of a) and he got tons of touches and just didn't play well to the end.

I have watched him play on TV but it is difficult to focus on him on TV. Thinking he is our pick I am admittedly looking at him from a critical standpoint

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yesterday the #1 pick in the draft at one point was 4-15 against a squad of nobodies for 10 points, 6 rebounds, and fouled out.

You can say that offense didn't get him the ball but I am courtside watching him lead his team in shots and just played weak.

Again tonight I am at the arena (and bet heavy ok u of a) and he got tons of touches and just didn't play well to the end.

I have watched him play on TV but it is difficult to focus on him on TV. Thinking he is our pick I am admittedly looking at him from a critical standpoint
So a player isn't allowed to occasionally have a bad game? Sometimes even great players play poorly against sub-par competition.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Sounds like you came to the arena looking for things that are wrong rather than right.

There are aspects of his game that you can nitpick for sure. He can be a bit more aggressive on defense underneath the basket. However, the good far outweighs the bad. His offensive game is limitless. Incredibly efficient. He can guard the perimeter. He's a freak athletically. Best part of all is he's coachable, so you know his game is only going to develop further.

If he's on the Suns, just enjoy. He'll play in numerous all-star games.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Just make sure you start this exact thread during every Arizona game for the rest of the year plz.

This.

Jesus, Chris. You could be the lucky charm we need to win the Natty.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave