.AVI file in PowerPoint?

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm making a PowerPoint presentation of our vacation. I have software that transfers PP to DVD so it functions just like PP, but in a normal DVD player. Anyhow, I have some .AVI video clips that I want to put on a slide, but I can't seem to figure out how. In PP, I click on Insert, Movies and Sounds, from file. Then I find the .avi file and click ok. (.avi is one of the files listed in the Files of Type, Movie Files) I get a pop up error message that says, "Cannot display this type of sound or movie". So I guess this is a multi-part question.

1) Does anyone know if AVI files work in PP?

if they don't...

2) Does anyone know how I can save this AVI file as a movie file that will work in PP?

Thanks!

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
http://www.presentations.com/presentations/creation/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1773675

Adding audio

PowerPoint will import two sound file formats, WAV and MIDI. Sound can be inserted four different ways: on the slide, on the slide transition, on an animation and on an action.

For example, you can insert a voice-over on a slide by going to INSERT › MOVIES AND SOUND › SOUND FROM FILE. Then locate the WAV file and click OK. The sound is now on that slide. Under SLIDE SHOW › SLIDE TRANSITION, the pop-up window has an option to add sound that plays when you advance from that slide to the next. To set the sound on an animation, single-click the object you want the sound to be associated with, then select SLIDE SHOW › CUSTOM ANIMATION and the Effects tab. Click the down-arrow for "no sound" to display a list of all the sounds available in PowerPoint.

You can also select Other Sounds and locate a WAV file, or use hyperlinks (actions) to add sound. Say you wanted to use a WAV file of a mouse-click that plays when you click on a button in your presentation. Simply single-click the button image, then go to SLIDE SHOW › ACTION SETTINGS. Make sure you are on the Mouse Click tab, then put a check in the "Play sound" box. Click the down-arrow and locate your sound.

Adding video

Video can be quite effective in a presentation, but it can also be quite troublesome due to large file sizes and compatibility issues.

Videos are compressed, much like image files, and come in many formats. PowerPoint can show AVI and MPEG. Macintosh computers can show AVI and MPEG files as well as QuickTime movies. To add QuickTime movies to a Windows version of PowerPoint is no easy feat. It's possible, but Windows users are better off sticking with the AVI and MPEG file format.

It is easy to insert video into your presentation. Go to INSERT › MOVIES AND SOUNDS › MOVIES FROM FILE. Locate the movie, then click OK. To adjust the settings of the movie file, single-click the video and under SLIDE SHOW › CUSTOM ANIMATION, you'll see either the Play Settings tab (in PowerPoint 97) or the Multimedia Settings tab (in PowerPoint 2000) or in PowerPoint 2002, you'll be offered a full menu of options.

Regardless of whether you add clip art, images, sound or video to your presentation, remember to do so sparingly. Too many effects can wreak havoc on your audience's eyeballs, giving them too much to focus on and taking away from your message.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is your problem or not, but PowerPoint embeds .mpg and .avi as links. Doesn't save the movie in the presentation.

You need to put the .avi in the same folder as the .ppt, then insert it, otherwise it doesn't like it.

OP
OP
C

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jw7 said:
Not sure if this is your problem or not, but PowerPoint embeds .mpg and .avi as links. Doesn't save the movie in the presentation.

You need to put the .avi in the same folder as the .ppt, then insert it, otherwise it doesn't like it.

I'm going to go try that now! :crossesfingers: