ASU seeks to bring new life to old stadium

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Arizona State University is planning a face lift for its aging Sun Devil Stadium that could cost as much as $170 million to transform into a modern sports and entertainment venue.
University officials propose levying a tax on new commercial development on university-owned land to fund the refurbishment of the decaying 50-year-old stadium. They plan to ask state lawmakers to create a special Arizona university-stadium tax district in 2009 in the hope that work could begin on improvements to the Tempe structure in about three years. ASU officials say that their financing plans would not be a big burden on the state or university and that improved seating and facilities would allow the stadium to be used for other events besides college football.
"This is a great opportunity to make Sun Devil Stadium a venue that the whole East Valley can be proud of," said Steve Miller, ASU deputy vice president for public affairs. Miller is part of an 11-member athletic-facilities planning committee appointed by ASU President Michael Crow in May 2007 to study options and proposals for upgrading athletic facilities.
That committee, working from two engineering analyses of the stadium, found that $60 million to $65 million is required for structural work that needs to begin within roughly a decade. The costs climb to $170 million when the committee adds infrastructure improvements to electrical and plumbing systems, plus better restrooms, concession stands, kitchens and more comfortable seating.
The legislation being proposed by ASU officials would give a board of supervisors in any county containing a state university the power to form a stadium-taxation district much like a school or water district, meaning the University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University also could benefit.
It was unclear what sort of reception the plan would receive in the state Legislature, where some conservative legislators want to hold off on all building projects during the economic downturn.
The state Board of Regents, which oversees the three state universities, would need to approve the concept.
One regent, Ernie Calderon, cautioned that the regents need time to properly vet it.
"Let's not start talking about new taxes until the regents have had a chance to review this," he said.
Regents President Fred Boice said a separate source of revenue for stadiums could be helpful, especially given the price tag to fix Sun Devil Stadium alone.

Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox said she would be open to considering forming such a district if it didn't levy additional taxes on homeowners and businesses.
"We know sports are a big generator for economic development," Wilcox said. "If it is limited to what the university uses and doesn't impact the greater community, it is an interesting concept."
The new tax would be similar to a property tax and levied only onnew commercial development on university-owned land. In ASU's case, that includes undeveloped land along Tempe Town Lake. University officials did not have estimates of how much money the stadium district would generate.
Taxes would go into a stadium fund, and the district, working through an intergovernmental agreement with the university, would issue bonds to pay for stadium improvements. The bonds would be obligations of the district and not of the state, city or county. They would be payable within 50 years.
"This is not a big, huge burden on the state or the university and allows for future development money to be captured," said Miller, who also envisions a partnership with Tempe to use the stadium for soccer and entertainment events.

Virgil Renzulli, ASU vice president for public affairs and a planning-committee member, compared the stadium to a car or bus.
"It's got to be fixed, and what's the alternative? This is a win/win where everybody benefits," she said.
Private fundraising, like that acquired for an indoor football-practice facility and basketball-practice facility, is not realistic for a project of this magnitude. Work also is needed on Wells Fargo Arena, Packard Stadium and Sun Angel Track Stadium, and there are plans for a new aquatics center.
The next step for ASU is to find a legislative sponsor.
"We'll be as open to suggested changes as we need to be to make this more viable," said Miller, who estimates that it will take up to three years before there would be sufficient revenue to begin work on Sun Devil Stadium.
The idea builds upon existing stadium-district legislation enacted in 1990 and modified in 1997 that created funding for Cactus League stadiums and University of Phoenix Stadium. ASU officials feel those private-enterprise opportunities help their case.
Sun Devil Stadium was built in 1958 with a seating capacity of 30,000. Additions were made from 1971 through 1992 that raised the capacity to more than 70,000. The capacity could eventually be reduced if seats are widened and more seat backs are installed. ASU has spent $10.8 million on the stadium since 2005 for repairs on the main concourse and loge, waterproofing and fixing rust problems on steel beams.
State Rep. Ed Ableser said the tax plan would raise funds for much-needed stadium improvements without diverting money from faculty and students.
"It is all about economic development for these communities," said Ableser, D-Tempe.
Ableser also said Tempe businesses don't oppose a stadium district.
"I know from our business community these are not sticking points at all," he said. "It is a realization that these assessments would create a more business-friendly environment. They would see it as an investment."
But Kevin McCarthy, president of the Arizona Tax Research Association, predicts the proposal will get a chilly reception at the Legislature.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2008/10/17/20081017asustadium1017-CP.html

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU Regents and administrators should be shot. Their selfish arrogance prevented them from striking a perfect joint deal with the Cardinals that would have built a joint-use stadium on ASU grounds.

ASU football and their fans and alumni, like me, were shafted. Maybe terminally.

In this economic climate, this proposal is naked academia arrogance and stupidy. Complete clowns are running our school.

HooverDam

Reaction score
As much as I love SDS (its certainly my favorite stadium for nostalgic and sentimental reasons), it may be time to think about replacing it. It not only has structural issues, but the bathrooms and concourses are just a mess.

If I were the King of the World what I'd like to see happen is for SDS to be demolished (ASU could play at UofP during the new stadiums construction), and a new stadium could be built on the same site. I'd prefer the stadium to stay an open air venue, but in the vein of European soccer stadiums with extensive overhangs to shade the fans. The parking lots North of the stadium should be replaced with large grassy fields like was once part of the Tempe Town Lake plan. The old plan showed a grassy field/tailgating area North of the stadium (about the width of the stadium) that connected the stadium to the lake. Then 2 islands sat in the middle of the lake and were connected with bike/foot paths that lead up to Papago Park, creating a great continuous park area.

The only way they'd be able to justify a totally new SDS though is if Phoenix were going to be bold enough to try to land the Olympics. I know its probably too big of a dream for most of the backwards folks of our Valley, but its a nice dream to have. Between a new SDS, Chase Field, USAC, Wells Fargo Arena, Jobing.com, UofP, and the various Spring Training facilities the Valley would certainly have enough venues to hose the games. They could move the National Guard in Papago Park somewhere else, and use that park land as the Olympic Village and as a central scenic hub for the games (the state wants to upgrade Papago for 2012 anyhow). Connect Downtown Glendale and Glendale Westgate to Downtown Phx, Tempe and Papago via Light Rail and it would serve all the visitors very well.

But anyway, thats enough of my dreaming for one day I suppose.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I love SDS (its certainly my favorite stadium for nostalgic and sentimental reasons), it may be time to think about replacing it. It not only has structural issues, but the bathrooms and concourses are just a mess.

I'm probably way out of touch with reality but it seems 170 million for renovation could go a long way towards building a new stadium. It almost seems to me this would be throwing good money after bad due to the age of the stadium.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm probably way out of touch with reality but it seems 170 million for renovation could go a long way towards building a new stadium. It almost seems to me this would be throwing good money after bad due to the age of the stadium.

You're right, thats kind of what I was trying to say. Why spend $170 million to renovate a stadium and still not have it be at an elite level when you could perhaps build a new one for $500 million or so? UofP cost $455 million to build, a new SDS would be pricier because of the demolition cost, the difficulty of building between the buttes (I would be completely opposed to any other location, as far as I'm concerned, that location is sacred), inflation and the continuing increased cost of concrete and other materials.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoover, your proposal for a new outdoor stadium has good merit. In today's climate, nothing may be done for many years.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might as well ask Ira Fulton if he wants to pony up for naming rights, he already has half the buildings at ASU named after him.

HooverDam

Reaction score
No chance, They would have better luck striking a deal with UofA.

I hate to break it to you, but all that stuff about the signage in SDS probably bothers delusional fans a lot more than anyone with ASU or the Cardinals. Lisa Love for instance wasn't even around back then, its well in the past. Plus, would the Bidwills really want to turn down the money that would come from ASU renting UofP on Saturdays for 2 years?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
First off, I'll say that a brand new stadium is 100% not going to happen. Where's ASU going to rally $500 million because the Olympics aren't coming to Phoenix and county or state taxpayers aren't going to pay for such a venture when we coughed up a bunch of money for a stadium in the West Valley that's more than capable of holding events.

I hope this legislation does pass though, it would likely ensure upgrades for Arizona's facilities as well. Arizona and ASU don't need new buildings for football, both are just fine structurally and in perfect locations. They just need renovations here and there that make both a more fan-friendly experience and selling each stadium's naming rights would bring in more than enough money to get it done. Not sure which direction each school decides to go in but tapping every available revenue stream even at the expense of tradition is definitely the way major sports as a whole is going.

Might as well ask Ira Fulton if he wants to pony up for naming rights, he already has half the buildings at ASU named after him.
Now's probably not the best time to ask a homebuilder for a bunch of money.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the Oregon game tonight in a concession stand with my high school group. It is pretty sad looking compared to UofP.

But, the timing of the plan is horrendous. Absolutely the worst. Crow just sent a video over email to every single ASU employee this week talking about drastic budget cuts. Then, the team turns around and plays maybe the worst game I've ever seen (not that I saw much of it) at SDS. And, they are going to rally up some enthusiasm for 170 million upgrade to the football stadium? Hell, the enthusiasm for that isn't even on campus, much less elsewhere.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, Crow just announced he wants to raise tuition AGAIN. He wants to increase it by 600$ a semester for incoming freshmen. I'm telling ya, this stadium thing has NO chance. People at ASU are pissed off.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard