ASU @ Cal

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...rnia-scouting-report-and-prediction/76452386/

Haller is predicting a Cal victory.

Its going to be really tough to stop Cal's prolific passing game, especially with our green secondary and blitz mentality. I fully expect that we will get a good share of sacks, and give up at least 3 long TD passes as well.

Should be a great game, similar to the Washington State game, but hopefully we can make a few less mistakes on our end. Cal's defense is subpar so we should be able to move the ball and score a lot of points on our end.

ASU 47
Cal 45

Of course I am going to predict an ASU win! ;-)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't followed Cal QB Jared Goff that much other than to know he is a prolific passer. If he doesn't run the ball that much, maybe the Sun Devils have a chance.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I haven't followed Cal QB Jared Goff that much other than to know he is a prolific passer. If he doesn't run the ball that much, maybe the Sun Devils have a chance.

He's a better version of Luke Faulk and will likely be a first-round pick in the draft.

This is an awful matchup for your defense.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a better version of Luke Faulk and will likely be a first-round pick in the draft.

This is an awful matchup for your defense.

What will make it interesting though is Cal's weaker offensive line, trying to hold back our strong blitzing pass rush. I expect Goff will torch us several times, but we will also make some big plays on D as well.

Graham hasn't figured out yet, you aren't awarded points for sacks, but hopefully we can force some turnovers.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Graham's defense is so predictable... And as a result, Cal reads it perfectly and late in the 4th finally completes this massive comeback by running the perfect play against Graham's blitz.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wow... Cal is schooling Graham in the second half! 45 - 12 in the second half alone! 5 straight TD's for Cal.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge td there for the Devils. Now the D needs to step it up and get a TO or TO on downs

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The offense kicked FGs & Cal scored TDs. Nuff said

Not many teams in HS or the NCAA can defend the spread offenses so more less every games a shootout. That's reality.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Goff with a career game throwing for 542 yards! What a horrendous loss for ASU and Graham's defense... Ugly!!

frankeegee1

All Star
Reaction score
Wow, no defense in the second half for ASU at all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Buckybird

Reaction score
Wow, no defense in the second half for ASU at all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Who outside of USC & Stanford plays any form of consistent D in the Pac 12? That's college football these days for probably 80% of the schools give up tons of yards & points almost every game.

TJ

Reaction score
Goff earned his money.

Can't help but think what might have happened if Anu played last week against this secondary [emoji45][emoji45]

TJ

Reaction score
Who outside of USC & Stanford plays any form of consistent D in the Pac 12? That's college football these days for probably 80% of the schools give up tons of yards & points almost every game.

Also Utah and, to an extent, UCLA. It's all flashy in the PAC.

Buckybird

Reaction score

Almost every conference outside of the SEC is the same way TJ. HS as well. It's just the way it is & I don't see it changing, it's what is being taught by most coaches at those levels.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Is the Big 12 any different? I'd say the SEC and the Big 10 still show semblances of defenses. Notre Dame maybe... Florida State too I guess... But that's it.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cal was favored to win this game. We beat the point spread, but still a tough loss obviously.

Goff was unbelievable. He evaded the pressure all night, getting rid of the ball before being sacked, and kept finding the open receiving. That 3rd down play in the second half where ASU had him dead to rights and somehow he got his arm loose and slung it down field for a big play was a killer.

Our secondary wasn't that good before the injuries. You can see why the subs were not starting, green and not ready for prime time yet. And to put them up against one of the top QB's in the nation, a disaster waiting to happen.

Lots of positives on the offensive side of the ball. Berco, 4 TD's 395 yards, Richard 131 rushing, Lucien 200 yards receiving with 3 TD's. But it sure would have been nice if they would have gotten a TD instead of one of those multiple FG's in the second half. :)

Haack's 73 yard punt was pretty awesome too, but it didn't keep Cal from scoring though.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Goff earned his money.

Can't help but think what might have happened if Anu played last week against this secondary [emoji45][emoji45]

The difference of course being that Goff is 10x better than Solomon. We'd have put up another couple TD's but still lost.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
That was one of the worst defensive performances by an ASU team I've ever seen against a mediocre Cal team. In the second half they scored quickly on every possession. At some point the defense just quit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison