OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Assface said:
You have to convince her to bring you along?
NO! ASSFACE! I will work on getting my Michael Pittman like bicepts and my washboard abs and my Krangthebrain like muscular buttocks

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I will work on getting my Michael Pittman like bicepts

I hope she's not letting you drive. :shock:

p.s. biceps

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
232.4 - up 2 pounds since last Tues :shock:

But I've reached new max's on dumbell bench press & bicep curls today!

There's a difference!
I've noticed that your posts have been a lot stronger since the first of the year...:|

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started up again last monday and I've lost 1.6 pounds so far. :rolleyes:

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey guys don't just go by how much weight you lose! Go by body fat%. If you haven't worked out at the gym much you could lose 15 pounds of fat and gain 15 pounds of muscle. That's what I really want to do right now. Since I workout regularly though I usually have to do one before the other. Right now I'm going to "cut" lower my calories and then "bulk up" to gain muscle.

Oh and Tango I don't think your requirements are good for most people who want to gain a lot of muscle. I guarantee you the guys on men's health journals that the girls drool over are consuming more than just 70 grams of protein a day. They are probably at least consuming a gram of protein per each pound of lean body mass. I consume at least 30 or 40 grams right after lifting.

I don't agree with Protein being harmful either. I think your body can handle protein just fine and more studies have shown that this is true.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Should we post pictures? I think that's the best way to show progess,Before/After pictures. Guys shirt off, girls bikini's or sports bra and shorts :)

Djaughe

Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Should we post pictures? I think that's the best way to show progess,Before/After pictures. Guys shirt off, girls bikini's or sports bra and shorts :)
An ASFN swimsuit calendar? That could be trouble.........:)

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've lost about 25 pounds since January. Woohoo! It's so much more enjoyable to flex naked in front of the mirror now.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Hey guys don't just go by how much weight you lose! Go by body fat%. If you haven't worked out at the gym much you could lose 15 pounds of fat and gain 15 pounds of muscle. That's what I really want to do right now. Since I workout regularly though I usually have to do one before the other. Right now I'm going to "cut" lower my calories and then "bulk up" to gain muscle.

Oh and Tango I don't think your requirements are good for most people who want to gain a lot of muscle. I guarantee you the guys on men's health journals that the girls drool over are consuming more than just 70 grams of protein a day. They are probably at least consuming a gram of protein per each pound of lean body mass. I consume at least 30 or 40 grams right after lifting.

I don't agree with Protein being harmful either. I think your body can handle protein just fine and more studies have shown that this is true.

Maybe I need to clarify what I posted, (I'm assuming you are referring to the calculation of daily protein requirement I posted early in the thread).
My interpretation is that that equation calculates minimum protein requirement. Notice I also said there --not to worry about eating too much protein, your body will tell you...by being full or if you continue to eat protein after that...it will kick in reverse paristalis (vomiting).--
Protein (amino acids) are the building blocks for every cell in your body. Everyone is going to have different requirements. You may well need more than the established "minimum". Again, it's not protein that builds "fat"....Carbs are the ones that do that. Excess calories of carbs are what is converted to fat in the body. Which brings up another point...it's not JUST the total calories you eat, but what the source of them is...eg...are they coming from protein, dietary fat, or carbohydrates.

The reason workout warriors and Mr. Universe guys load up on the protein is because its the amino acids from protein metabolism that builds new muscle cells. So if you want to bulk up...then naturally you need to increase the protein intake.

The insidious thing about carbs is that our body doesn't have the natural safety mechanisms to prevent over indulgence like it does for protein.

Like you said...don't get too concerned about the protein intake. I know, myself, if I'm not getting a decent intake, I definitely feel "weak"...and it's not just from low blood sugar (glucose/carbohydrates).
For those who want to be the next Arnold Swartzneger, etc....yeah, I'm sure they engulf the protein big time in an attempt to gain bulk/mass.

The little town here in Idaho that I live in just opened a fitness center this year and I joined...not to lose weight but for cardio reasons. (I was in VA hospital for a week last June for "atrial flutter"...my heart was averaging 145 beats/min in the lower chambers and exactly 4 times that in the upper (580 beats/min). So my motivation was purely "cardio". I've now lost almost 15 lbs (down from 165), which for me is a lot, and only recently have I started working on the weight machines. The rest of the time I spend on the stationary bikes, eliptical runner, and stairstep, with a lot of time spent on stretching. Then sauna and steam room to help eliminate the toxins out of the body, and don't go crazy on the diet.

I notice very few of the WON types ever seem to do much stretching, which amazes me...the muscles work in two directions...contraction AND enlogating (stretching)...strangely enough I seem to be defining better than they are.

I quit taking all my heart meds except the coumadin to thin the blood in early December...and I'm in the greatest shape I've been in since I cut down on my full time dancing 3-4 years ago. My heart is working fine...and the doctor's are shaking their heads saying they think I'm crazy...they can't understand it. But my body tells me everything is working reasonably well.

For those who are disciplining themselves enough to stay with it. Congratulations...keep up the good work.

Remember this....how many fat people have you ever seen over 85-90 years old? Fat people die young!!!

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Alright, I found the official emoticon for this thread. :thumbup:

Last edited:

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
This AM 229.8..under 230!

I like that emoticon Mike. I used to work with a bunch of hefers & they used to bitch & moan that they couldn't lose weight.

Those hens would sit in their cubicles & eat a box of those fat free Snackwells cookies each day & then eat 2 or 3 Jenny Craig meals for lunch. Total calorie intake for the day was 49 calories per serving of cookies x 20 servings/box = 980 calories & 400 calories for the JC x 2.5 (avg 2-3) = 1000...so just between snacking & lunch, they were at 1980 calories a day.

Add the muffins in for breakfast plus all the cakes & other cookies that people brought in (my office was like the Elaine's on Seinfeld - always cake, cookies, bagels, etc) & they were close to 3K calories in work food alone!

They would tell me I was eating crappy when I'd eat my cheeseburger & fires for lunch - but I was holding at a "slim" 245-250 (OK - I was bad, but these girls were in my weight catagory & they were 5'-0" - 5'-4").

Low fat =/= weight loss

Reduction in calorie intake (or burning excess calories via exercise) = weight loss

You have to have a 3500 calorie loss in order lose one pound. That can be either in less calories in food intake, calories burned through exercise, or a combo in both!

:)

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Right on Kevin! You're gettin' it done man! I need to start working out. My weight is OK it's just all in the wrong spots. Not sure I want to deal with WON though. Maybe Ryan is ready to sell his laundry holder....errr workout machine. :D

I know what you mean about eating crazy stuff and then dieting. I worked with a guy who was pretty heavy and everyday he would order a triple cheese burger from Wendy's..........and a diet Coke. I know some people just like diet but heck he'd turn to me and say "I'm on a diet". Yeah, whatever.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:

I notice very few of the WON types ever seem to do much stretching, which amazes me...the muscles work in two directions...contraction AND enlogating (stretching)...strangely enough I seem to be defining better than they are.

Tango:

I work out on a pretty consistent basis, and am pleased with the results. However, I think they could be better, and I am wondering if a lack of stretching may have to do with this. Is it essential to stretch before working out? Can I do it when I wake up in the morning? Thx in advance...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Tango:

I work out on a pretty consistent basis, and am pleased with the results. However, I think they could be better, and I am wondering if a lack of stretching may have to do with this. Is it essential to stretch before working out? Can I do it when I wake up in the morning? Thx in advance...

Bump for tango, or anyone else. Also, I stopped taking protein, because I heard excessive levels are terrible for your health. (i.e. if you have kidney issues, the first thing they do is put you on a low protein diet) anyone else have opinions on this?

maddogkf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is coing from an article I read a few years back...so I think it is correct, but I may be wrong :shrug: :)

If you take excessive amounts of protein, it acts the same as carbs. Your body can absorb only so much protien & what doesn't get absorbed turns to glycogen & is stroed as fat.

You should keep your protein intake to about 1 gm of protein per lb of lean body/muscle mass.

Ex> I am 230 lbs +/- & if I'm at 28 % body fat :shock:, my lean body mass would be 166 lbs. (230 - (.28x230) = LBM) so I should take about 166 gm of protein a day....

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
This is coing from an article I read a few years back...so I think it is correct, but I may be wrong :shrug: :)

If you take excessive amounts of protein, it acts the same as carbs. Your body can absorb only so much protien & what doesn't get absorbed turns to glycogen & is stroed as fat.

You should keep your protein intake to about 1 gm of protein per lb of lean body/muscle mass.

Ex> I am 230 lbs +/- & if I'm at 28 % body fat :shock:, my lean body mass would be 166 lbs. (230 - (.28x230) = LBM) so I should take about 166 gm of protein a day....

Interesting....I'll try to find you a link to the article that I read....Your thoughts on stretching?

maddogkf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't stretch. I do a few sets of lighter weights at the beginning...but then I see some people in the gym that spend 45 minutes stretching & then do 40 minutes workout.

To each his own I guess... (I'm no help to you, I know!!!) :)

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Interesting....I'll try to find you a link to the article that I read....Your thoughts on stretching?

That is quite low for someone who wants to gain muscle mass at your weight... It is very difficult to gain a lot of fat purely off of protein. I've read often a good rule of thumb is at least 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lbm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard